The "mod your Zhalou" Thread
Jan 4, 2007 at 12:32 AM Post #991 of 2,143
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is the considerable mechanical force for? Your method seems more complicated than it should be. When I install the Zapfilter I plan to just desolder the RCA connectors, unscrew the block, and remove the 2 x 3 set of RCA jacks. Then replace with 2 good pair of jacks and just solder them to the outputs on the Zapfilter.

Those are my plans also. I just want something to tamper with sine replacing the RCA jacks is not a necessity.

Jan 4, 2007 at 1:45 AM Post #992 of 2,143
I called Parts Connection today to order a Zapfilter and they are backordered again! They told me that every one that they received has already been spoken for so who knows when they will get more.

Happy Listening!

Jan 4, 2007 at 1:49 AM Post #993 of 2,143
Quote:

Originally Posted by abs@nilenet.com /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I called Parts Connection today to order a Zapfilter and they are backordered again! They told me that every one that they received has already been spoken for so who knows when they will get more.

Happy Listening!

I hope you at least placed an order for one as to be next in line when they get their next shipment. Apparently they were supposed to get 50 units in but only get 11-12, I imagine the rest must still be in transit.

Jan 4, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #994 of 2,143
Yes, I did. That explains why they are out of stock so soon.

Happy Listening!

Quote:

Originally Posted by daggerlee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope you at least placed an order for one as to be next in line when they get their next shipment. Apparently they were supposed to get 50 units in but only get 11-12, I imagine the rest must still be in transit.

Jan 4, 2007 at 2:24 AM Post #995 of 2,143
Quote:

Yes, I did. That explains why they are out of stock so soon.

Happy Listening!

I take it that means you got one!
smily_headphones1.gif
Good luck on yours when you get it, I am eagerly awaiting mine.

Jan 4, 2007 at 5:21 AM Post #996 of 2,143
Quote:

What is the considerable mechanical force for? Your method seems more complicated than it should be. When I install the Zapfilter I plan to just desolder the RCA connectors, unscrew the block, and remove the 2 x 3 set of RCA jacks.

That would work if you have a very good desoldering equipment, not what the typical modder can afford. Any little bit of solder not removed would make life miserable. It's just simpler to bend the stamped metal pieces forming the pins and cut them off, then remove the block. Desolder what's left of the pins if you want a more professional look, but that's not necessary, since you are running wires to the Zapfilter and not connecting to the main board.
If you elect to remove only part of the block then you will have to saw off the block. I've done this enough times that I'm not worried about using force but the average person may find this a bit uncomfortable.
icon10.gif

Jan 4, 2007 at 5:36 AM Post #997 of 2,143
Better get em before they bump the prices due to demand!

One question: Is there was way to set coaxial to default instead of having to press the button everytime i turn the D2C on? I want to keep the optical input functional too since i still use it.

Jan 4, 2007 at 7:28 AM Post #998 of 2,143
Quote:

Originally Posted by SayNoToPistons /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One question: Is there was way to set coaxial to default instead of having to press the button everytime i turn the D2C on? I want to keep the optical input functional too since i still use it.

No simple way to achieve that.
You can swap the two inputs which would require to cut traces and cross connect them.
You can also "fake" a key press on power-up with an RC delay circuit and a pull down transistor. This can be built on a small PCB.
There might be a "hidden" option to do that, if someone can decypher what the processor is doing on power-up.

Jan 4, 2007 at 8:53 AM Post #999 of 2,143
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ori /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That would work if you have a very good desoldering equipment, not what the typical modder can afford. Any little bit of solder not removed would make life miserable. It's just simpler to bend the stamped metal pieces forming the pins and cut them off, then remove the block. Desolder what's left of the pins if you want a more professional look, but that's not necessary, since you are running wires to the Zapfilter and not connecting to the main board.
If you elect to remove only part of the block then you will have to saw off the block. I've done this enough times that I'm not worried about using force but the average person may find this a bit uncomfortable.
icon10.gif

Agreed. I recently removed the RCA jacks, XLR jacks and toslink, and they were a biatch to remove.

You'd be best off removing as much solder as you can first (I used a powerful handheld solder sucker), then finding a person to hold the component of interest, and then finally applying your iron to the solder pad while asking the aforementioned person to 'PULL'!!

In other words, not something for the faint of heart to attempt. There will be some PCB flexing.
biggrin.gif

Jan 5, 2007 at 12:29 AM Post #1,000 of 2,143
Quote:

Originally Posted by PartsConnexion
Hello,

We only have one of these (ZAPfilter) left. If you would like to have it please send payment as soon as possible, by tomorrow, otherwise we have another customer would is interested in purchasing this item.

Thank-you,
Georgina

I really shouldn't buy it as I only have like $200 (and then whoever is next in line could get one)...but I've been wanting a ZAPfilter for so long...but I don't have the funds for the other parts I need (RCA/XLR jacks)...I was saving that $200 for a K340 amp fund...hmm...

Did anyone figure out what went wrong with Bobs' Zapfilter installation? I'm still a bit hesitant about installing the ZAPfilter because there are still some pieces of information missing on how to install it that Renato hasn't explained (And I fear that he's ASSUMING that I know these pieces of information, such as what went wrong with Bobs' Zapfilter installation, so he only told me limited instructions).

Jan 5, 2007 at 1:07 AM Post #1,001 of 2,143
Quote:

Did anyone figure out what went wrong with Bobs' Zapfilter installation?

Unfortunately it's impossible for me to determine what went wrong with Bob's installation. I assume it shorted out since it was sitting on the case when it was powered up. What other possible collateral damage was done is left to be determined.

Quote:

I'm still a bit hesitant about installing the ZAPfilter because there are still some pieces of information missing on how to install it that Renato hasn't explained (And I fear that he's ASSUMING that I know these pieces of information, such as what went wrong with Bobs' Zapfilter installation, so he only told me limited instructions).

All the information needed was posted by me in this thread. I even posted pictures. If there is anything that is not clear I will try my best to be of help. If you can't figure it out from my instructions and a little common sense, then I suggest not attempting this mod.

~Renato

Jan 5, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #1,002 of 2,143
Quote:

Happy Listening!

Hope it comes back in stock soon!

Jan 5, 2007 at 1:48 AM Post #1,003 of 2,143
Quote:

Originally Posted by looser101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately it's impossible for me to determine what went wrong with Bob's installation. I assume it shorted out since it was sitting on the case when it was powered up. What other possible collateral damage was done is left to be determined.

All the information needed was posted by me in this thread. I even posted pictures. If there is anything that is not clear I will try my best to be of help. If you can't figure it out from my instructions and a little common sense, then I suggest not attempting this mod.

~Renato

Well, for example, I didn't know you weren't supposed to place the Zapfilter on the Zhaolu casing. I would have done exactly what Bobs did by placing it in the plastic case, but I wasn't aware that this would cause it to short out. I'm assuming that you assumed that I already knew this, so you didn't tell me this (So all I have to go by is the picture of your installation, which looked like the Zapfilter was screwed down to the case. So, if I were doing it, I would probably rest it down on the case and test it out to see if it works before screwing it down to the case and putting everything back together).

Jan 5, 2007 at 2:08 AM Post #1,004 of 2,143
Quote:

Well, for example, I didn't know you weren't supposed to place the Zapfilter on the Zhaolu casing. I would have done exactly what Bobs did by placing it in the plastic case, but I wasn't aware that this would cause it to short out. I'm assuming that you assumed that I already knew this, so you didn't tell me this (So all I have to go by is the picture of your installation, which looked like the Zapfilter was screwed down to the case. So, if I were doing it, I would probably rest it down on the case and test it out to see if it works before screwing it down to the case and putting everything back together).

Case is metallic and painted black. If you look carefully you can see that the zapfilter is at the same height as the main board. Spacers/standoffs are included with the zapfilter and the psu. If you take your time I will be glad to help (baby steps will get you there).

~R~

Jan 5, 2007 at 2:11 AM Post #1,005 of 2,143
Okay, what else do I need for the installation other than the Zapfilter? Do I also need to buy separate RCA and/or XLR jacks?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back