"The Lab"
Aug 27, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #11,701 of 20,136
Nope
smily_headphones1.gif

A hint though, it's bigger than a thumbtack

Another hint, it's earphone related

Great hint is there wires.

Magnetic toothpick pin for the Trinity iems??

Aug 27, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #11,702 of 20,136
Another hint, before GPS we used to depend on these a lot

Atlas

Still waiting for the prototypes to get here.  How do they sound?

Aug 27, 2015 at 10:27 PM Post #11,704 of 20,136
Atlas

I'm jamming the stock tuning right now. The first word that comes to mind is very transparent.

More to come with them. I'm going to take them with to work tomorrow.

Right now I'm enjoying this...

Aug 27, 2015 at 10:36 PM Post #11,705 of 20,136

Atlas

I'm jamming the stock tuning right now. The first word that comes to mind is very transparent.

More to come with them. I'm going to take them with to work tomorrow.

Right now I'm enjoying this...

Hmm, looks like Duke in the picture?

Aug 27, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #11,706 of 20,136
Hmm, looks like Duke in the picture?
It is. I got the runabout and Atlas prototypes in today.

I had to check out the Duke and Runabout combo. I never had much use for my HSA Nova N1...UNTIL TODAY

The Nova N1 with that thick copper interconnect into the runabout and Duke, it sounds incredible.

Aug 27, 2015 at 10:44 PM Post #11,707 of 20,136
I guess that explains why the pot is usable.  I'm guessing the Nova either has a weak line-out, or you're using headphone out?

Aug 27, 2015 at 10:50 PM Post #11,708 of 20,136
I guess that explains why the pot is usable.  I'm guessing the Nova either has a weak line-out, or you're using headphone out?

I can listen to Duke with RA Brooko. Been using Fiio X5 LO -> VE RA -> Duke. It's no worse than trying to use sonething like the Cayin C5. I'm not getting much channel imbalance, either - at least not at normal listening levels.

I should be getting some of mo's secret smoothie foamies tomorrow. Curious how those will work out.

Aug 27, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #11,710 of 20,136
I can listen to Duke with RA @Brooko. Been using Fiio X5 LO -> VE RA -> Duke. It's no worse than trying to use sonething like the Cayin C5. I'm not getting much channel imbalance, either - at least not at normal listening levels.

I should be getting some of mo's secret smoothie foamies tomorrow. Curious how those will work out.

I initially read it as mo's secret foaming smoothies.. 
blink.gif

Aug 27, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #11,712 of 20,136

Are you running it on H or L gain? I think Duke was meant to be run at low gain iirc.

Even at high gain, I didn't have too much trouble with the volume as I had plenty of play with the knob, I was running the Titan 1, Havi B3, Z5 etc. Even the VSD3, which is really easy to drive, the volume wasn't a problem and I had plenty of play with the knob. Ymmv depending on listening volume. I loved both the Titan 1 and Duke on low gain fwiw :)

Edit: Saw in the other thread you were running the RA out of the Fiio DAPs, not sure how loud their LO signal is. I was running it with the line out from my SMSL m2, being able to control the line out with the mac software. might be different in terms of the DAP, is there anyway to reduce the volume on the DAP to give more play with the volume pot?

I can listen to Duke with RA @Brooko. Been using Fiio X5 LO -> VE RA -> Duke. It's no worse than trying to use sonething like the Cayin C5. I'm not getting much channel imbalance, either - at least not at normal listening levels.

Nice, post some impressions once you get it! Yea same, didn't get channel imbalance unless it was on the lowest volume level. You and I listened to the same unit so I know for sure haha. The volume pot gave me plenty of room before it got loud.

Edit: Should clarify I was running it macbook -> SMSL M2-> RA. With the mac software it would make sense why I had more head room. Didn't mean to make it sound like I was questioning your findings @nmatheis @Brooko 
redface.gif

Aug 27, 2015 at 11:08 PM Post #11,713 of 20,136
RedJohn456: I'm not going to say there's plenty of room. I'd love to be able to use up to 50% of the pot on low gain with Duke. That ain't happening, but as I mentioned it's definitely usable but you have to be careful not to nudge the volume up too high. Same issue as C5 + IEM really, others don't seem to put up a fuss about it like I did.

Aug 27, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #11,714 of 20,136
@RedJohn456: I'm not going to say there's plenty of room. I'd love to be able to use up to 50% of the pot on low gain with Duke. That ain't happening, but as I mentioned it's definitely usable but you have to be careful not to nudge the volume up. Same issue as C5 + IEM really, others don't seem to put up a fuss about it like I did.

I missed the part that you guys are running it out of the DAP, I was running it out of mac laptop via SMSL m2, so I had more room to play with the volume in that case, would account for what we were hearing. 

@Brooko  I had a question about the battery life in general of the Fiio DAPs, does using LO to an external amp have a beneficial effect on the DAP battery life? My cellphone battery is terrible and am thinking of picking up a DAP and I will be using it with an external amp mostly. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back