The Kiwi ears Quintet Thread:
Jul 3, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #32 of 316
How would you compare the Quintet with the Raptgo Hook-X (both having some planar + BC piezo elements)? Does the bone conduction driver add anything extra to the lower end?
I would say the bigger planar of the Hook-X sends home the real planar tone and character due to the presence. In the Quintet it’s top-end Bone Conduction tricks I understand. Also Quintet has top-end planar tone too, as I understand? Anyway, the Quintet is more classic in the bass department, just like you know, and have heard before. Where the Hook-X was more like the ultimate Planar with extras that added to its personality! But the Quintet is better and more fun, but it is really hard to compare as one is apples and one is oranges. Because the Quintet can go against the more expensive TOTL headphones and the Hook-X has its limits, though lovable. Quintet is the technically better IEM.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2023 at 12:09 PM Post #33 of 316
I would say the bigger planar of the Hook-X sends home the real planar tone and character due to the presence. In the Quintet it’s top-end Bone Conduction tricks I understand. Also Quintet has top-end planar tone too, as I understand? Anyway, the Quintet is more classic in the bass department, just like you know, and have heard before. Where the Hook-X was more like the ultimate Planar with extras that added to its personality! But the Quintet is better and more fun, but it is really hard to compare as one is apples and one is oranges. Because the Quintet can go against the more expensive TOTL headphones and the Hook-X has its limits, though lovable. Quintet is the technically better IEM.

If a person is looking for an evolution of Raptgo’s house sound I strongly suggest checking out the Bridge.

Hook-X’s PZT driver adds a subtle physicality to the Hook-X’s sound. The Bridge is an evolution of that idea. In the Bridge the PZT is joined to a 6mm dynamic and placed behind a large vent. The result is a much more effective PZT that enhances the bass response as well as increasing treble air. Like Quintet the Bridge is a unique driver configuration that comes together in a really special way.

Jul 3, 2023 at 7:35 PM Post #38 of 316
Quando se fala deste ligeiro congestionamento é em relação ao Quinteto ou SA6
The SA6 has it as simply a way that it is, but the Quintet less congestion. Meaning many IEMs have this, where even a slight loss of detail with the Quintet is what separates it from $2000 real flagships. Yet the Quintet delivers on so many aspects of replay anyway. There is absolutely no way to criticize it. Though remember too that each and every listener has a sound profile, personally. This is suggestive of liking one tone over the other, within a group of TOTLs. It could even be fathomed that the Quintet delivers a more in-line response to what the listener is looking for, better than some TOTLs. Yet, of course the Quintet is not perfect, yet way, way more perfect than the price suggests!

Jul 4, 2023 at 7:11 PM Post #39 of 316
Great review - thanks!

How does it compare to S12 Pro, Tea2 and Kato?

Did you not notice any unnatural or metallic timbre in the treble that quite a few others have pointed out, including these reviewers:

Jay had an issue with the metallic timbre on cymbals and electric guitars being too harsh, too hard and brittle, particular at higher volumes:

Jordan Oki commented that the timbre is unnatural, possibly due to the piezo tweeter and/or the fact that the various driver types have different "speed":

Vortex said the treble can be a bit hot, fake and fatiguing:

Jul 4, 2023 at 7:47 PM Post #40 of 316
Great review - thanks!

How does it compare to S12 Pro, Tea2 and Kato?

Did you not notice any unnatural or metallic timbre in the treble that quite a few others have pointed out, including these reviewers:

Jay had an issue with the metallic timbre on cymbals and electric guitars being too harsh, too hard and brittle, particular at higher volumes:

Jordan Oki commented that the timbre is unnatural, possibly due to the piezo tweeter and/or the fact that the various driver types have different "speed":

Vortex said the treble can be a bit hot, fake and fatiguing:

Thank-you.
The S12 Pro capitalizes on the planar (cleaner) bass which has a different dexterity and tone, it’s slightly faster and simply different. To me the Quintet is more lifelike and spacious, with more defined actual instruments and better vocals. The other two IEMs you have mentioned I haven’t heard. There was moments when the timbre would start to go slightly off, but then it would return to normal for me. This timbre thing may be totally subjective as it depends on memory of hearing instruments and vocals, in relation to tone and character.

But the Quintet absolutely does not glorify bad recordings, meaning if the recording is lifeless, then they will be heard for what they are, there is no adding of stage or warmth or anything. With that said the Quintet sounds good from an Apple Dongle and shows the difference in DAPs. I would wonder how many sources those reviewers used, as it is a game at times to find the best source. Also the Quintet does walk that line between too hot and not, maybe at times? It was just right for me but one other review (I read) noted sibilance. Really the treble seems smooth and incredibly natural to me, but I’m only one person. I believe also the Quintet will show you if you are listening to too bright of source. Meaning it’s very transparent to signal, as it is this transparency that is one of it’s values. I typically listen to warmer sources and didn’t have any issue.

I didn’t watch the videos you posted.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2023 at 1:18 AM Post #41 of 316

Found a great review (cc for English translations) - having an IEM sound check (replay recording of various IEMs) with test tracks like they do for speakers was illuminating (I wish this could become a standard). Measurement changes with different tip sizes are also shown.

Jul 5, 2023 at 2:49 AM Post #42 of 316
Thank-you.
The S12 Pro capitalizes on the planar (cleaner) bass which has a different dexterity and tone, it’s slightly faster and simply different. To me the Quintet is more lifelike and spacious, with more defined actual instruments and better vocals. The other two IEMs you have mentioned I haven’t heard. There was moments when the timbre would start to go slightly off, but then it would return to normal for me. This timbre thing may be totally subjective as it depends on memory of hearing instruments and vocals, in relation to tone and character.

But the Quintet absolutely does not glorify bad recordings, meaning if the recording is lifeless, then they will be heard for what they are, there is no adding of stage or warmth or anything. With that said the Quintet sounds good from an Apple Dongle and shows the difference in DAPs. I would wonder how many sources those reviewers used, as it is a game at times to find the best source. Also the Quintet does walk that line between too hot and not, maybe at times? It was just right for me but one other review (I read) noted sibilance. Really the treble seems smooth and incredibly natural to me, but I’m only one person. I believe also the Quintet will show you if you are listening to too bright of source. Meaning it’s very transparent to signal, as it is this transparency that is one of it’s values. I typically listen to warmer sources and didn’t have any issue.

I didn’t watch the videos you posted.
Thank you, very helpful.

Would you say S12 Pro is more fun with better slam/punch/PRAT?

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2023 at 4:02 AM Post #43 of 316
Thank you, very helpful.

Would you say S12 Pro is more fun with better slam/punch/PRAT?
Well, it’s the year long question, people that love planar IEMs, love them for a reason! Meaning ever since planar IEMs came out they have offered buyers a window into their unique sound. I have not heard the 7Hz Timeless, but I have heard a whole bunch of planar IEMs this year. The Hook-X, and Panda, the Zetain Wu, the Gumiho, the Dioko etc, etc. The S12 Pro has that thIng it does and yes, I gave it a great review, probably my favorites would be the S12 Pro and the original Zetain Wu. PRaT yes, the planars do something, but they are also limited to finite definition and separation into their mid and upper stage. Right now I see the extra drivers of the Quintet bringing something more?

People say the S12 Pro and Zetain Wu hold a certain place in sound under $300, and I have agreed on that before. Except if you leave that planar quality and look at stage and involvement, the Quintet brings something else to the table those two planar IEMs don’t have. Punch is funny because in a way the planar IEMs offer a unique quality, more fun comes to me through realistic sound and the Quintet offers a more realistic window into the music.

Quintet v S12 Pro
You made me pull out both and do a back to back. The Quintet is simply more involved in the midrange and treble. Things are more separate and 3D. Where everything..........everything is farther away with the S12 Pro, like behind a curtain?

This does the job of making the music more clear with the Quintet! You see it doesn’t matter how the PRaT is if it’s farther away. Up-close and more personal is how the Quintet works!

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2023 at 5:02 AM Post #44 of 316

Found a great review (cc for English translations) - having an IEM sound check (replay recording of various IEMs) with test tracks like they do for speakers was illuminating (I wish this could become a standard). Measurement changes with different tip sizes are also shown.

The Quintet has such treble extension. I can eq this iem so this will be not a problem.

Jul 5, 2023 at 6:48 AM Post #45 of 316
Well, it’s the year long question, people that love planar IEMs, love them for a reason! Meaning ever since planar IEMs came out they have offered buyers a window into their unique sound. I have not heard the 7Hz Timeless, but I have heard a whole bunch of planar IEMs this year. The Hook-X, and Panda, the Zetain Wu, the Gumiho, the Dioko etc, etc. The S12 Pro has that thIng it does and yes, I gave it a great review, probably my favorites would be the S12 Pro and the original Zetain Wu. PRaT yes, the planars do something, but they are also limited to finite definition and separation into their mid and upper stage. Right now I see the extra drivers of the Quintet bringing something more?

People say the S12 Pro and Zetain Wu hold a certain place in sound under $300, and I have agreed on that before. Except if you leave that planar quality and look at stage and involvement, the Quintet brings something else to the table those two planar IEMs don’t have. Punch is funny because in a way the planar IEMs offer a unique quality, more fun comes to me through realistic sound and the Quintet offers a more realistic window into the music.

Quintet v S12 Pro
You made me pull out both and do a back to back. The Quintet is simply more involved in the midrange and treble. Things are more separate and 3D. Where everything..........everything is farther away with the S12 Pro, like behind a curtain?

This does the job of making the music more clear with the Quintet! You see it doesn’t matter how the PRaT is if it’s farther away. Up-close and more personal is how the Quintet works!
Amazing - thank you!

More involving, 3D, up-close, and personal does it for me, I can work with that. I’m buying 👍😃

I have a feeling it might be too bright for my library (rock), especially with the UA5 dongle. Bet it will sound good with 30Hz, +6dB, Q 0.707 and 7,400Hz, -2.5dB, Q 3ish on the Qudelix 5K however.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back