The Kiwi ears Quintet Thread:
Jul 2, 2023 at 7:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 316

Redcarmoose

Headphoneus Supremus
Simply the place to share your personal enthusiasm about this new IEM! Post whatever you want....be it questions or even poetry about this lovely IEM. Even just post Quintet photos if you want!

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/kiwiears-quintet.26582/reviews#review-31155

8E16F00F-93C2-4D09-9E83-48D143465826.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2023 at 8:55 AM Post #3 of 316
How is the soundstage imaging?
Imaging placement:
Way better than the price point would have you believe. It’s because of the re-creation of elements being so life like, then found is proper placement. Really too good to be true, even.

Just the way instruments have their own natural placement, where if they are big in the song the replay is to follow. Yet if it is a poor recording stuff gets left as it is. Same with vocals where they are delightfully reproduced in the stage separated, yet if mixed into the song mix, that is where they will be.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2023 at 9:04 AM Post #4 of 316
Imaging placement:
Way better than the price point would have you believe. It’s because of the re-creation of elements being so life like, then found is proper placement. Really too good to be true, even.

Imaging continued:
See that’s a huge part of it, that way instruments have their own natural placement, where if they are big in the song the replay is to follow. Yet if it is a poor recording stuff gets left as it is. Same with vocals where they are delightfully reproduced in the stage separated, yet if mixed into the song mix, that is where they will be.
Thanks mate. That sounds delightful. Kinda regret not to review this IEM now :dt880smile:

Jul 2, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #5 of 316
Jul 2, 2023 at 2:20 PM Post #6 of 316
@baliguy

Thank-you!
They are opposite really with the Land being way more detailed, more detailed and more hyper. Where coming from the opposite direction the Quintet is seemingly smoother and of a lesser soundstage. The Land is offering a slightly more controlled/clear and slightly more textured/faster low-end and what details/itemization those EST drivers can conjure up, into a spectacle of slightly faster overall pace and transients. But remember those transients and agility are the hallmark of the Land, where the top-end of the Quintet is more evenly toned, yet not boring, just not as flashy. Really the end results are still that the two have a totally opposite approach, with the overall character of the Quintet to be more relaxed and offering timbre through smoothness where almost never do you find such a fast top-end as the Land or as big of stage. The Quintet is the 60 watt bulb and the Land the brighter 200 watt bulb, which depending who you are can be slightly almost too bright, yet it details the room well. Now that 60 watt bulb is shown to be not dim at all? But only though contrast do you realize how it’s different.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2023 at 3:27 PM Post #8 of 316
I'm curious what kind of driver is going to cover the mids? Might it be the two BAs?

My EQ presets are already done and setup for the arrival of the Quintet.
I would also guess the two BAs?

Jul 2, 2023 at 5:11 PM Post #10 of 316
Edit:
Clarity on the midrange and treble drivers from Kiwi ears web site........to follow.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2023 at 5:28 PM Post #11 of 316
I'm curious what kind of driver is going to cover the mids? Might it be the two BAs?

My EQ presets are already done and setup for the arrival of the Quintet.
From the Kiwi Ears website: 2 Knowles balanced armature drivers deliver natural and resolving mids, a classic example of why balanced armatures are beloved in the industry.

Jul 2, 2023 at 5:42 PM Post #12 of 316
@ExTubeGamer
Well it’s a mystery as the BQEYZ Topaz has a treble Piezoelectric, but no Bone Conduction, yet the Hook-X has the Piezoelectric Bone Conduction for lows? So really I don’t know, but if you look at the diagram the Bone Conduction is on the big size and next to the woofer?

But the more I guess, I’m thinking Bone Conduction means lows?
also from the website: 1 piezoelectric (PZT) bone conductor. a piezoelectric driver was utilized to deliver ultra-treble microdetail and air. In R&D testing, the presence of the PZT driver significantly enhanced perceived audio resolution, texture, and sound stage

Jul 2, 2023 at 8:22 PM Post #13 of 316
Leaving the planar and the piezo for treble and upper treble. This sounds like a good use for these drivers.

also from the website: 1 piezoelectric (PZT) bone conductor. a piezoelectric driver was utilized to deliver ultra-treble microdetail and air. In R&D testing, the presence of the PZT driver significantly enhanced perceived audio resolution, texture, and sound stage
Thank-you! That’s amazing that it doesn’t sound anywhere near, anywhere near the treble of the BQEYZ Topaz? Perfect! We needed this clarification in this thread! Cheers!

So funny as the Piezoelectric is the same size as the woofer in the diagram? Wild!

Also note the filter does not look like made of metal?
E8F3E105-19FB-425E-8B21-69A475BEB3D4.png

DSC_0152.jpegsd.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2023 at 1:54 AM Post #14 of 316
Wow. Just read your review - excellent as ever! Now I'm torn. I was going to buy the Aful P8 due to it's balanced signature and technicalities (though soundstage seems a little smaller), but now I'm thinking the Quintet is the way to go.

As I have almost no knowledge of $500 iems, is it really comparable to models such as the SA6, variations etc?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back