The Kiwi ears Quintet Thread:
Oct 23, 2023 at 6:15 AM Post #256 of 316
Have been using a few tips, so far spiral dots and tang sancai have had positive results. Now trying the divinus velvet.

Oct 24, 2023 at 3:23 AM Post #257 of 316
Has anyone tried both Quintet and Penon Fan 2? How does the 2 IEMs compared to each other? I am seriously considering between the 2 as I love natural sounding IEMs with good technicality. I can buy the Fan 2 at around 140$ so around 70$ cheaper than Quintet but I think the upcoming 11.11 sale will make Quintet price a bit cheaper. Thanks!

Oct 24, 2023 at 11:44 AM Post #258 of 316
Has anyone tried both Quintet and Penon Fan 2? How does the 2 IEMs compared to each other? I am seriously considering between the 2 as I love natural sounding IEMs with good technicality. I can buy the Fan 2 at around 140$ so around 70$ cheaper than Quintet but I think the upcoming 11.11 sale will make Quintet price a bit cheaper. Thanks!
I owned the Fan2 and hated it...I have the Quintet now and I love it. Fan2 bass is really wonky to my ears...

Oct 24, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #259 of 316
I have both and value both for what they do best. They both provide a wide soundstage with excellent detail. The Quintet stage extends a long ways on either side, but is not deep. The Fan 2 is not as wide, but more spherical. I liken the difference to being in the front row with the Fans and on the stage with the Quintets. I don’t find the bass on the Fans to be wonky…it is deep and textured with good impact. The bigger dd on the Quintet pushes almost as much air, so the impact is almost the same…but to me it has slightly less texture. The Quintets definitely have a slight edge in the treble…high notes are a bit more defined…but they can sound a bit artificial. The treble on the Fans is smoother but not as crisp. If I had to pick between them, with my 76 year old ears, I would pick the Fans…but I do love the Quintets when I want to pick apart the complex stands of complex music. :)

Oct 30, 2023 at 1:21 PM Post #260 of 316
I'm about a week into Quintet ownership and overall I'm super happy with them. I think my main criticism isn't even a criticism, but these IEMs are not kind to poorly recorded tracks. There's very little masking at play here. Well recorded/mastered stuff sounds fabulous. Songs where less time and effort were put into production are very obvious.

I also haven't seen it mentioned much in this thread, but given how razor-sharp the imaging is on the Quintets, I've had awesome luck using them for games, both competitive, and more atmospheric.

Also I've found that personally narrower IEM tips really neuter the soundstage, so I've ended up using the medium sized wide-bore tips that came with the Quintets, and those have been really good so far. Getting them deeper into my ears(I typically use larger tips) really cut down on the treble spiciness without sacrificing too much bass.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2023 at 2:52 PM Post #261 of 316
Lots of great info in this thread regarding cable / ear tip options, so thanks for that! I ordered the Quintet and they'll be here next Saturday, can't wait!

Nov 17, 2023 at 9:36 PM Post #262 of 316
@GlenAppleton
If you can, try either the divinus or spiral dot tips.

Nov 18, 2023 at 8:00 AM Post #263 of 316
To whomever considering buying the Quintets - stop, just buy it. I'm using this set for 2,5 months now and I'm pleased every time I put them in my ears. Am I waiting for other sets? Yes. Does it mean I'm about to sell KEQ? No, they're staying with me as my battle-tested semi-budget all-rounder.

Nov 18, 2023 at 8:34 AM Post #264 of 316
@GlenAppleton
If you can, try either the divines or spiral dot tips.
I have CP100, CP100+, CP145, W1, Spring Tips, Xelastec, & Tri Clarion tips to try out, along with a bunch of others that shipped with all the IEMs in my sig. I have the S&S tips in my wish list in case none of these options work, and I might get them anyway to check them out as they look interesting, and I'll look into the Divinus Velvets that you mentioned.

As for cables, I have the Youkamoo 3.5mm and 4.4mm (balanced) cables to try if the one the ships with it isn't agreeable. I've used it as a replacement cable on other IEMs and it works very well.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #265 of 316
I'm using stock ones and those HiFiGo X Zeos Renders, occasionally a pair from 7Hz Timeless set (H07, afair - blue ones in size L).

Nov 19, 2023 at 10:04 AM Post #266 of 316
Praised be. =)

Attachments

• IMG_20231119_154832_edit_34115151785940.jpg
    IMG_20231119_154832_edit_34115151785940.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Nov 19, 2023 at 12:47 PM Post #268 of 316
Nov 19, 2023 at 1:15 PM Post #269 of 316
These are HiFiGo X Zeos Render ear tips (size L). Pretty good ones - implantation is easy and smooth with really good isolation and slight bass emphasis.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #270 of 316
These are HiFiGo X Zeos Render ear tips (size L). Pretty good ones - implantation is easy and smooth with really good isolation and slight bass emphasis.
Absolutely, these are great tips. For those of you familiar with Symbio tips, these are the same except the internal foam is much more flexible making for a more comfortable wearing experience. For those not familiar with them, think of hybrid silicone (outside) and foam (interior).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back