The K1000 cured my hearing!
Oct 18, 2007 at 3:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

Fitz

Headphoneus Supremus
Or at least that's what I'd like to think.
k1000smile.gif

This is actually a serious thread, so let me give a little background information. Since pretty much as long as I can remember, I have heard slightly better out of my left ear than my right ear. In normal daily life it was a trivially small difference, usually only mattering if I had to use a phone in a noisy environment. For the last few years I have also had a slightly annoying bit of tinnitus, since before I got into audio. After a few minutes in an extremely quiet environment (as close to silent as you can realistically get in a city), my ears would start trying to adapt to the low noise level, and the tinnitus would kick in. It was a very low pitch, and would almost feel like pressure directly on my ears as it increased in volume the longer I was in the silent area. Deliberately making a noise, such as coughing, would mostly "reset" it, and it never reared its head in any normal situation.

As a result of the subtle hearing imbalance, I would need the right channel a couple decibels higher for it to sound properly balanced, and naturally keep the volume set this way. Having both channels equal still sounded fine, since I was used to that, but I could consciously recognize that it was shifted to the left. And also if the sound was ever shifted to the right, I knew something was up with the equipment or recording.

When I got my K1000 recently, things sounded fine for the first several hours I listened to them, but after a while I noticed the right channel seemed noticeably louder than the left channel, which would require a very big channel imbalance in the phones due to my hearing. As time went on the imbalance became more and more noticeable. I worried about this for a bit, especially since due to an accident a few weeks ago I no longer had the equipment to measure the headphones to verify any channel imbalance. That evening however, while listening to music in bed before sleep with another set of phones, I also noticed the right-shifted channel imbalance. The next day, I also found the case to be that all of my phones sounded like the balance was shifted to the right.

Ok, so the K1000 is fine, yay! But, something else is wrong, crap! To adjust for the imbalance, I set the right channel volume lower than usual, until I could figure out what was wrong. I could not find anything wrong with my equipment though. Eventually it slowly dawned on me to look at how I was keeping the volume now: both channels at the same volume! I started playing with the channel balance, and found that slight shifts either direction would make the sound noticeably shift left or right away from center, whereas before it took a lot to make a significant difference because I could not hear properly balanced anyways. I also made sure to pay attention to the tinnitus, and the low pitch "pressure" seems to have changed to a higher pitch ringing at a much lower volume, and isn't even really annoying at all when it is quiet enough for me to actually notice.

I have never heard of such a weird thing happening, where after having these natural flaws in my hearing for as long as I can remember, that they suddenly correct themselves in a short timespan. It is not from earwax or anything, because I already tried getting my ears cleaned a while ago to see if it was maybe due to earwax buildup from the past (lots of nasty stuff came out, and I could hear better, but it didn't change the problems), and I have had it for too long for it to be anything like health / diet / stress. So the only thing I can think of is that the K1000 had the power to cure me of these problems, since it happened over the course of the first few times I listened to them.

What do you think?
k1000smile.gif

Oct 18, 2007 at 3:23 AM Post #4 of 33
Damn... I must have those miracle cure K1000's!!

Oct 18, 2007 at 3:30 AM Post #5 of 33
Quote:

This is actually a serious thread, so let me give a little background information. Since pretty much as long as I can remember, I have heard slightly better out of my left ear than my right ear. In normal daily life it was a trivially small difference, usually only mattering if I had to use a phone in a noisy environment. For the last few years I have also had a slightly annoying bit of tinnitus, since before I got into audio. After a few minutes in an extremely quiet environment (as close to silent as you can realistically get in a city), my ears would start trying to adapt to the low noise level, and the tinnitus would kick in. It was a very low pitch, and would almost feel like pressure directly on my ears as it increased in volume the longer I was in the silent area. Deliberately making a noise, such as coughing, would mostly "reset" it, and it never reared its head in any normal situation.

I've always been like that. I need to get me some K1000's.

Oct 18, 2007 at 3:39 AM Post #6 of 33
Obviously this is a side-effect of your subconscious collapsing after the realisation that there are no more AKGs left for you to buy.

I get a similar oddity happening with the GS1000 (maybe the number is cursed?). If I use the stock pads, there's a slight (1.5dB) imbalance to the right, but if I use flat pads there's no imbalance. The strange thing is that swapping the headphone L/R around doesn't also swap the imbalance. Ears are weird.

Oct 18, 2007 at 5:35 AM Post #10 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or at least that's what I'd like to think.
k1000smile.gif

As a result of the subtle hearing imbalance, I would need the right channel a couple decibels higher for it to sound properly balanced, and naturally keep the volume set this way. Having both channels equal still sounded fine, since I was used to that, but I could consciously recognize that it was shifted to the left. And also if the sound was ever shifted to the right, I knew something was up with the equipment or recording.

When I got my K1000 recently, things sounded fine for the first several hours I listened to them, but after a while I noticed the right channel seemed noticeably louder than the left channel, which would require a very big channel imbalance in the phones due to my hearing. As time went on the imbalance became more and more noticeable. I worried about this for a bit, especially since due to an accident a few weeks ago I no longer had the equipment to measure the headphones to verify any channel imbalance. That evening however, while listening to music in bed before sleep with another set of phones, I also noticed the right-shifted channel imbalance. The next day, I also found the case to be that all of my phones sounded like the balance was shifted to the right.

Ok, so the K1000 is fine, yay! But, something else is wrong, crap! To adjust for the imbalance, I set the right channel volume lower than usual, until I could figure out what was wrong. I could not find anything wrong with my equipment though. Eventually it slowly dawned on me to look at how I was keeping the volume now: both channels at the same volume! I started playing with the channel balance, and found that slight shifts either direction would make the sound noticeably shift left or right away from center, whereas before it took a lot to make a significant difference because I could not hear properly balanced anyways. I also made sure to pay attention to the tinnitus, and the low pitch "pressure" seems to have changed to a higher pitch ringing at a much lower volume, and isn't even really annoying at all when it is quiet enough for me to actually notice.

I have never heard of such a weird thing happening, where after having these natural flaws in my hearing for as long as I can remember, that they suddenly correct themselves in a short timespan. It is not from earwax or anything, because I already tried getting my ears cleaned a while ago to see if it was maybe due to earwax buildup from the past (lots of nasty stuff came out, and I could hear better, but it didn't change the problems), and I have had it for too long for it to be anything like health / diet / stress. So the only thing I can think of is that the K1000 had the power to cure me of these problems, since it happened over the course of the first few times I listened to them.

What do you think?
k1000smile.gif

The Lord heals in Mysterious ways, and maybe instead of a disciple it was a K1000 who was the messenger. Well, you never know.

In my case, I seem to have inherited your tinitis tonight, but with a high pitch. I am listening to quiet music on my Denon C700 and the high pitched right side tinitis seems like about 6-8K and is louder than the music
mad.gif

Oct 18, 2007 at 6:06 AM Post #11 of 33
Tinnitus must be a bitch, especially to an audiophile.
But who knew headphones would be the cure all and end all.

Oct 18, 2007 at 7:18 AM Post #12 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the last few years I have also had a slightly annoying bit of tinnitus, since before I got into audio. After a few minutes in an extremely quiet environment (as close to silent as you can realistically get in a city), my ears would start trying to adapt to the low noise level, and the tinnitus would kick in. It was a very low pitch, and would almost feel like pressure directly on my ears as it increased in volume the longer I was in the silent area. Deliberately making a noise, such as coughing, would mostly "reset" it, and it never reared its head in any normal situation.

I've got exactly the same problem. When, and only when, there is complete and utter silence, my ears feel like there's increased pressure on them, and I get some tinnitus in the upper range as well. Once again, the volume increases the longer things are quiet. When noise comes back, the tinnitus goes. Weird.

As OverlordXenu said - maybe I need to get some K1000s :p

Oct 18, 2007 at 8:19 AM Post #13 of 33
I feel you on the tinnitus = ( I've been burdened for years with that... I'm glad you've found a miracle cure... Maybe these will keep me away from the physicians...

Oct 18, 2007 at 8:32 AM Post #14 of 33
Interesting... it may not be the headphones, but possibly the music. The reason I say that is there is a group of audiologists that are using some sort of audio recording that "treats" tinnitus. Maybe by some fluke you found a track that has the frequencies required to help with your tinnitus?

Unfortunately I don't know the specifics of what is added to the music for it to treat tinnitus, so it's going to be hard to track down the culprit of this miracle cure.

Oct 18, 2007 at 11:43 AM Post #15 of 33
In the first 2 years of my audio hobby I used to get spasms in my right ear which made some tracks unlistenable, but after certain tweaks the spasms went away because the soundstage widened, when I made another tweak the spasms came back. I haven't had spasms ever since I got Magix levitation feet and ERS Paper, they cured my ear problems. I also don't have any muscle contractions anymore. The music sounds clean which makes the ears stay relaxed. All the problems are gone and the tweaks did it.

When I was listening to dirty audio I was getting ear spasms and muscle cramps all over the place, but it was cured with Magix levitation feet and ERS Paper, they are that good!

When I was using HD590 I was getting louder sound from one channel, but I found out it was because the pads weren't equally thick. K1000 is great because I can fine-tune the distances.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back