The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Feb 6, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #4,741 of 8,352
Does the UE6000 in passive mode(!) have bass quality/quantity similar to the S500? I will try to get my ears used to the pressure for now, but maybe i have to go for the Logitech otherwise. I just love the stock pads sound, the HM5 mod doesn't really work for me

Feb 6, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #4,742 of 8,352
Wait, so one person said HM5 mod made the bass a lot less, panthers says it makes it even bassier. Hmm...
confused.gif

Feb 6, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #4,744 of 8,352
Quote:
The tape mod does raise the bass levels, but it still sounds a bit off/unnatural to me. Treble is a bit too harsh und the warm (deep)bass heavy sound is gone

Try taping only 1 or 2 vents on each side.

I felt the same as you and then it hit me that I didin't have to tape all the vents.

So I settled on taping just 2 on each side and left 1 open on each side.

Feb 6, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #4,746 of 8,352
Wait, so what is this taping vents thing? Like, vents that the HM5 pads create, or is it other vents, like on the inside of the can? Link?

Feb 6, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #4,747 of 8,352
If you take off the pads you will see 3 holes on L and R speakers. If you put tapes over them it increases the bass. :)

Feb 6, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #4,748 of 8,352
Quote:
Does anyone know if the s500 will ever hit the states?
The only good thing is that the Japanese yen keeps falling so price should fall on all Japanese headphones. .

I emailed JVC a few weeks ago to ask just that and was given a generic statement that they're only sold overseas. If there is any plan to bring them here JVC US support either doesn't know or can't comment.

Feb 6, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #4,749 of 8,352
Quote:
I'm going to take this comment with a grain of salt and wait till the honeymoon phase is over with ya..
cool.gif
Fell too often for comments like these, and members posting a more nuanced post after a few days/weeks after their first post. :p  Saves me money you know.
tongue.gif

Don't blame you one bit. I'm usually the same way. Only decided to pull the trigger after reading many posts by DS and deciding "what the heck, it's only 16 bucks" when I ordered my HM5 pads. Made the biggest difference on my wife's Macbook but I was surprised how much it improved the sound on my Toshiba. Eventually I will want a small amp to pair with it but for now it's great AND it increased the volume a little bit on some of the softer tracks. Blew my mind how it even improved my picky Senn 580's. 

Feb 6, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #4,750 of 8,352
Wait, so one person said HM5 mod made the bass a lot less, panthers says it makes it even bassier. Hmm...:confused:
No, someone had HM5 pads, and found some other mods to get it as bassy as before, as HM5 pads take out a lot of bass. :wink:

Feb 6, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #4,751 of 8,352
Don't blame you one bit. I'm usually the same way. Only decided to pull the trigger after reading many posts by DS and deciding "what the heck, it's only 16 bucks" when I ordered my HM5 pads. Made the biggest difference on my wife's Macbook but I was surprised how much it improved the sound on my Toshiba. Eventually I will want a small amp to pair with it but for now it's great AND it increased the volume a little bit on some of the softer tracks. Blew my mind how it even improved my picky Senn 580's. 

+10. The ele dac is the real deal. Read about it in the discovery thread. Brings to life my s500's, uptowns, and ad900x's.

Feb 6, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #4,753 of 8,352
I use the rings over the stock pads and I don't lose any bass t all. The stock pads are basically touching your ear under the HM5s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back