The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Jan 5, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #4,096 of 8,352
Quote:

Fantabulous!  Thank you for taking the time to take the pictures.  I was able to read plenty of comments using the various combinations, but to seem them implemented is priceless.  Thanks again !!  
beerchug.gif

Edit: In regards to the comments regarding the HM5 pads "collapsing" a bit, there has been some previous discussions on the Fischer Audio variant of the pads, which is referred to as the MK I flavor.  This variant has a slightly thicker amount of foam that was utilized for more comfort and depth, but the inner wall of pleather on the inside of the ear pads (driver area / vertical piece of pleather) was slightly thicker, which allowed the pads to retain a bit more of their thickness while wearing them, and they'd collapse a bit less.  The sad part is, that the MK I variant is virtually impossible to find new at this point in time, and is awfully rare to locate them on the secondary market.

Yeppp I have read it somewhere that those pads were a bit different than the HM5 ones, and I was kinda surprised myself that the HM5 pads were so soft/ squishy. So i had to stiffen them up a bit for better comfort/ fit. Time to stock up on these HM5 pads! LoL
Quote:
Nice pics. Such a great post it made it on the front page. very informative. Will have to try this myself..

WOOT WOOT!!! My 1st time making it on the OP page, and Ds' at that so honored.
redface.gif
Sorry cute to steal your thunder like that but you left me too thirsty so i had no choice.
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Thanks sf.  I will try this myself.  You're not just filled with those awesome gif's.  Great pics bro, I appreciate it.  

Thanks Danny for the kind words, took me like couple of mins to take those pics so was no sweat at all. Glad it was helpful/ you'll enjoy my shenanigans.
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 5, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #4,097 of 8,352
Quote:

Yeppp I have read it somewhere that those pads were a bit different than the HM5 ones, and I was kinda surprised myself that the HM5 pads were so soft/ squishy. So i had to stiffen them up a bit for better comfort/ fit. Time to stock up on these HM5 pads! LoL

I keep looking at my "hacked up" pair of HM5 pads and wonder if I can bring them back from the dead.  I've cut, glued and sewn them so many times as I've tried to adapt them to many different applications, I might just need to start from scratch.  However, I have all of the leathers, pleathers and supplies to make up the pads via some custom work.  I also picked up a piece of micro-suede in black last evening.  I'm making some Sennheiser HD-25 "knock off" pads to somewhat clone the blue velour pads that are in circulation.  I will use the micro-suede for comfort, and use various foam thicknesses to get the best option in place.

I'm sick of being limited to a 24-hour day.  I need more time in my day to get what I want to tackle completed.  Sadly, my weekly "bread winning" job, which requires about 50 hours gets in the way of my hobbies.  But, having work that I love is also important to me, too, so the hobbies can always wait on my free time.

Edit: A picture of my "hacked up" HM5 Pads. 
wink.gif
  Also, a picture of some of my Grado work - Faux Crock in Dark Brown, Saddle, and Buck Skin.

Jan 5, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #4,100 of 8,352
Quote:
Ok as promised, pics galore after the break. My set up is really basic actually: S500s stock pads with taped bass ports/ HM5 pads over them with tissue stuffed mod which are held secure but the rubber-O-rings.

Awesome sfwalcer! Once I get those rings, I will be trying that configuration including the stuffing of the pads (which should keep my ears nicely away from the stock pads). I'm pretty sure I'll be sticking with that configuration as well. The only thing I might try is untaping the vents just because cute says so lol. But, I'll probably go back to taping them to get back the bass. Kudos my friend!
beerchug.gif

Jan 5, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #4,101 of 8,352
Quote:

Awesome sfwalcer! Once I get those rings, I will be trying that configuration including the stuffing of the pads (which should keep my ears nicely away from the stock pads). I'm pretty sure I'll be sticking with that configuration as well. The only thing I might try is untaping the vents just because cute says so lol. But, I'll probably go back to taping them to get back the bass. Kudos my friend!
beerchug.gif

No problem my Canadian friend. I always need mo' BASS for the music i listen to, hence i need the taped ports but yeah man do as you like to them and these S500s will sound great in all configurations.

haha without any pads under the HM5 ones, the sound is wayyy too thin and lacking of bass, but cute seem to love it like that, guess we all hear different and have every different needs when it comes to headphones. But cute you are a crazy fanatical genius when it comes to sound/ mods.  LoL Bravo Bravo!!!

Jan 5, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #4,102 of 8,352
Quote:
WOOT WOOT!!! My 1st time making it on the OP page, and Ds' at that so honored.
redface.gif
Sorry cute to steal your thunder like that but you left me too thirsty so i had no choice.
biggrin.gif

Hey nice pics, good job........but the S500's that I have without the under pads, and the silver/copper cable hybrid is all I need for pure balanced sound.  I didn't like all of that monstrous distorted bass (thunder) when I tried pad over pad combinations.  The S500 can deliver on bass that's for sure......no one has heard the S500 like I have, it's more of an Audiophile sound, that fits my sound signature perfectly!  
bigsmile_face.gif
  "mo' BASS", does not sound natural to these ears!

Jan 5, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #4,103 of 8,352
Hey sfw.... I have been listening about 90% lately to soundcloud. Incredible endless stream of awesome 320kpbs music. I'm sure that there has to be sounds on there that appeal to you. So, because I really would like to hear them, my challenge to you is to find me a few tracks off of soundcloud that you really like. C'mon man, don't be shy.. you can do it!!!

Jan 5, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #4,104 of 8,352
Quote:

Hey nice pics, good job........but the S500's that I have without the under pads, and the silver/copper cable hybrid is all I need for pure balanced sound.  I didn't like all of that monstrous distorted bass (thunder) when I tried pad over pad combinations.  The S500 can deliver on bass that's for sure......no one has heard the S500 like I have, it's more of an Audiophile sound, that fits my sound signature perfectly!  
bigsmile_face.gif
  "mo' BASS", does not sound natural to these ears!

LoL, then you need to sell your FXZ200s to me ASAP!!! hoho You can't have those bass monsters eating away at your ears.
biggrin.gif

.... this thing has yet to fail me. My FXZ200s will be coming from cute soon! That mind control.
tongue_smile.gif

Quote:
Hey sfw.... I have been listening about 90% lately to soundcloud. Incredible endless stream of awesome 320kpbs music. I'm sure that there has to be sounds on there that appeal to you. So, because I really would like to hear them, my challenge to you is to find me a few tracks off of soundcloud that you really like. C'mon man, don't be shy.. you can do it!!!

Sorry WAYNE i am not as hip as you meng. Not hipster enough to use soundcloud sadly. :frowning2:  Wayyy too much stuff on there, but i'll try haha. Will see what i stumble upon. If you want me to give you free download links to some crazy nice albums that will sound amazing with these S500s, i'll gladly post some.  Hope you like Korean Hip Hop. heeeeee Will report back with some findings....................................................soon.

Jan 6, 2013 at 2:54 AM Post #4,105 of 8,352
Quote:

You can get them through Amazon.jp and get it shipped internationally through Tenso.com but you have to sign up for a Tenso account first and from there should follow the steps that Tenso gives you.

Quote:
All sellers are ok, just choose the best pricing.

Ok guys, thanks for the info. I think I I'll just go with one of the ebay seller.

Jan 6, 2013 at 3:23 AM Post #4,106 of 8,352
For ELE-Dac owners
Are you satisfied by the synergy with s500? I still feel that lacks clarity, bass and it is a tad muddy
Could it be the songs I choose?

Sorry, dude, it seems like you've been left hanging here. I don't have the ELE yet, but most opinions have been that it's a great little DAC for the money. I personally bought it because my computer's built-in sound is horrible and it sounds lie it makes a drastic improvement. On the other hand, if you have come from higher-end gear, then it might not be your cup of tea? Or just might not be your cup of tea anyway?

Have you tried it with other 'phones? Maybe the synergy with the S500 doesn't suit, but it'll work with other cans. What music have you been trying to listen to?

Jan 6, 2013 at 5:32 AM Post #4,107 of 8,352
Quote:
Sorry WAYNE i am not as hip as you meng. Not hipster enough to use soundcloud sadly. :frowning2:  Wayyy too much stuff on there, but i'll try haha. Will see what i stumble upon. If you want me to give you free download links to some crazy nice albums that will sound amazing with these S500s, i'll gladly post some.  Hope you like Korean Hip Hop. heeeeee Will report back with some findings....................................................soon.

I'd love to hear some of your Korean Hip Hop... bring it on!  This might help for your soundcloud adventure: this is the "over 1000 listens" group:
https://soundcloud.com/groups/top-music-players

Jan 6, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #4,108 of 8,352
Quote:
Sorry, dude, it seems like you've been left hanging here. I don't have the ELE yet, but most opinions have been that it's a great little DAC for the money. I personally bought it because my computer's built-in sound is horrible and it sounds lie it makes a drastic improvement. On the other hand, if you have come from higher-end gear, then it might not be your cup of tea? Or just might not be your cup of tea anyway?
Have you tried it with other 'phones? Maybe the synergy with the S500 doesn't suit, but it'll work with other cans. What music have you been trying to listen to?

I was searching the Interweb yesterday for more information on the ELE DAC. I don't have one yet, but did see about how some other guy went ahead and purchased one based on the high remarks on this site.  He then went on to state that it was crap, and he donated it to his son for some lower-level use.  This individual went onto state that the DAC was full of fake components and the aluminum case alone if $16.00, leaving on $2.00 for the PCB and components.  The case might be $16.00 when purchased separately, but when one considers that the Chinese manufacturers are probably picking in up for $.50 cents, or less, the guy's argument is weak.  People need to take it for what it is. It's an $18.00 DAC.  Will it beat out a $100.00 or $500.00 DAC hands-down?  I can't make that claim because I haven't heard the ELE DAC, nor have I heard a $500 DAC.

Jan 6, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #4,109 of 8,352
Quote:

I don't have any other high end DAC or anything similar, this is my first DAC since I didn't want to spend more. I was thinking to go for a USB Creative/Asus DAC that have a double price so I preferred the ELE since it could be even better than these.

I usually listen through my Vaio Laptop which has a built in Realtek HD, pretty standard I think chipset.

The strange thing is than when I watch for example films the synergy is just great especially the 3D depth of sound. Also the soundstage is fuller and better in all cases. I've tried some trance DJ sets that I downloaded only for burning process and there it seems better than my built in source.

Unfortunately when I go to more "hard" sounds I loose clarity and bass. For example Kyuss - Demon Cleaner sounds even a bit muddy at some points
I also feel that I'm loosing the more detailed bass of some hip-hop songs, like Nas.

Could it be the fact that I haven't yet reached the required hours burning the s500?

Now I only have Radiopaq Jazz IEM to test with the DAC and they are not a great source of reference.

Jan 6, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #4,110 of 8,352
Quote:

Are the O-rings from Ace Hardware 3/16"?  I tried those and they are a smaller diameter.....the 3/16" from the web site I linked are 3/16", and I have never had a problem with them coming off!

The ones from Ace are 3/16".  They're working fine.  Only come off if I pick them up the wrong way or catch something when I move them.  It's a brilliant solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back