The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Nov 15, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #3,061 of 8,352
For those wanting to use Brainwavz HM5 pads with the S500/S400, here are the O rings I am using......just install these O rings (2 5/8" inside diameter) in the groove where the existing pads fit, then I use rolled paper towel about the diameter of a pencil, 3" piece top and bottom of the arc, this will fill in the gap, then install the HM5 pads.....works for me, comfort and sound is very good!  Actually excellent!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-FASHION-RUBBER-RING-O-RING-BRACELET-3-16-CS-/140600476909

Nov 16, 2012 at 3:40 AM Post #3,064 of 8,352
Hey guys, finally received my s500 after a long 3 weeks wait. Got it from ebay cus amazon merchants mostly don't ship to anywhere other than US for some reason! Mine didnt have tracking, so it was pretty much a nail-biting wait, but it arrived right on the last day of exams! Timing couldn't be bettter!

As most of you have attested to it, the S500s sound great right out of the box, am burning them in now using the 2-hour long track from Defqon One 2011 DVD video available from Youtube. Got the ATH pads in today as well, and when i fitted them on, i noticed the bass was significantly less than the stock pads. How did you guys mod the ATH pads to bring back the bass? If there's not way to mod them to recover the bass-loss, i might just sell them off, they're perfectly new

Actually the stock pads aren't as UNcomfortable for me as many of you seem to experience, probably cuz i got smaller ears, so they kinda hug my ears nicely. I'm actually quite curious how these headphones actually fit those with bigger heads, cuz I've got a small-ish head, and i've gotta wear them fully extended!

And as the poison goes around here, i got convinced buying a pair of the MH1s as well!:D thought the volume dun seem to work for my iphone 4 at all. all the 3 buttons i press, the volume cuts back almost half for a second, then back to full volume. Anyone got the same problem?

Nov 16, 2012 at 3:53 AM Post #3,065 of 8,352
Quote:
Can someone compare these to the Denon D 2000 and Sennheiser Hd 25-II.

The D2000s sound thin sibilant and a bit overly bright next to the S500. The Bass is good on the D2000 but just comes up well short next to my S500
I was at the mac store and they had the Sennheiser Amperions. The Senns are great with the spacing and imaging but.... The S500 Sub Bass is stronger and the S500 trebles extends better. Both the Senns and the JVCs can rock the house but the Senns are $250??? The JVCs have better balance from what I hear. 

Nov 16, 2012 at 4:00 AM Post #3,066 of 8,352
I thought you guys would enjoy this, my take on blue pads and a rewire:

http://i.imgur.com/xqtI7.jpg

*Edit: Sorry for the photo quality.  If I liked cameras as much as headphones I wouldn't be able to pay rent in any capacity.

Nov 16, 2012 at 4:15 AM Post #3,067 of 8,352
Quote:
I thought you guys would enjoy this, my take on blue pads and a rewire:

http://i.imgur.com/xqtI7.jpg

*Edit: Sorry for the photo quality.  If I liked cameras as much as headphones I wouldn't be able to pay rent in any capacity.

Sigh if only I was good with my handy work. I always find a way to screw something up when opening them. I'm gonna be rocking it as it is out of the box (along with the ATH pleathers) . The blue looks so nice though
triportsad.gif

Nov 16, 2012 at 5:34 AM Post #3,068 of 8,352
ahh... nvm.... found the answers to what i was asking! tape mod it is! no scotch around though, gonna try masking tape. Anyone tried those slightly thicker foam tapes to see the difference in sound? I've got some 3M industrial strength grey double side tape which i might give a go!

and i accidentally discovered what that "cut" in the groove where the pads are inserted does! now it's stupidly easy to install the pads! sorry noob here, this is literally my first proper headphones! :p

Nov 16, 2012 at 6:17 AM Post #3,069 of 8,352
woah... covering the vents and using the stock pads gave the bass a whole new level, the pads are literally vibrating, feels like i'm physically in the club! sick...

guess i'll be selling off my ATH pleathers, anyone wants them? they're brand new!

Nov 16, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #3,070 of 8,352
woah... covering the vents and using the stock pads gave the bass a whole new level, the pads are literally vibrating, feels like i'm physically in the club! sick...
guess i'll be selling off my ATH pleathers, anyone wants them? they're brand new!

You my friend is what one would call a "bass head" lol!

Nov 16, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #3,072 of 8,352
Quote:
I found the answere to my question earlier in this thread, and I can't wait to compare them to my Amperiors when they arrive.

Amperiors should be better, not heard them but almost all reviews are giving them good scores.
S500 is all about Bang for The Buck.

Nov 16, 2012 at 2:34 PM Post #3,073 of 8,352
ahh... nvm.... found the answers to what i was asking! tape mod it is! no scotch around though, gonna try masking tape. Anyone tried those slightly thicker foam tapes to see the difference in sound? I've got some 3M industrial strength grey double side tape which i might give a go!
and i accidentally discovered what that "cut" in the groove where the pads are inserted does! now it's stupidly easy to install the pads! sorry noob here, this is literally my first proper headphones! :p
How do you use the groove... I've been forcing pads on there for a while... turns out I am an idiot :p . Thanks for the help!

Nov 16, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #3,074 of 8,352
I opened them up and put half of a piece of toilet paper in them, increases bass and makes it really textured or something... I'm not good at reviewing headphones and stuff... I just know that these are even freaking awesomer now!

EDIT: I'm still on stock pads, waiting for AKG's and HM5's to come in, and I haven't done the paper towel mod, but have taped up the vents!

EDIT 2: Can anyone take some good impressions with these with the new "Toilet Paper Mod"? It would be very much appreciated... thanks!

Nov 16, 2012 at 6:29 PM Post #3,075 of 8,352
How do you use the groove... I've been forcing pads on there for a while... turns out I am an idiot :p . Thanks for the help!

It's real easy actually, just slot whatever part of the pad lip into the "cut", so that the lip is like halfway in the groove, halfway out, and turn the pad "away" from the groove, while lightly holding on to the first part where it's already in the groove. Once you complete a whole round the lip will pop into the groove easily! i cant upload photos due to newbie restrictions, but i made a short video on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaDRTS4UrXs&feature=youtu.be

I sorta discovered it cus i was turning it the other way round and the lip got "caught" in the "cut" and i was wondering why the lip kept going in where i was pushing in and coming out the other side! duh...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back