The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Oct 16, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #2,311 of 8,352
Quote:
This may be obvious, I'll suggest it anyways: did you try reinstalling Rockbox?  I've run different versions the last couple years on my two Clip+'s, installed/reinstalled a number of times.  I had this same problem once, and reinstalling Rockbox fixed it.  I always do the manual installation.

Never hestitate to offer an obvious suggestion! I think that I firstly installed via the utility, using the "release" version (which hung). Then I got the latest "dev" release for the clip zip and I'm pretty sure I used the manual method to copy over the files to the .rockbox directory on the clip. But, I didn't uninstall rockbox first. So, I think that I will next try that (uninstalling completely, and then re-install manually). Thanks! :)

Oct 16, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #2,312 of 8,352
Btw, what's happening with the clip party??? I've got my S500. I've got my clip zip. All I'm missing is the party!

Oct 16, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #2,313 of 8,352
Quote:

Never hestitate to offer an obvious suggestion! I think that I firstly installed via the utility, using the "release" version (which hung). Then I got the latest "dev" release for the clip zip and I'm pretty sure I used the manual method to copy over the files to the .rockbox directory on the clip. But, I didn't uninstall rockbox first. So, I think that I will next try that (uninstalling completely, and then re-install manually). Thanks! :)

I use the utility about every other week to install the latest dev edition for my Zip...easy as pie. I've never had a Lexar card so I can't say whether or not there are any issues. I always have had Sandisk cards....i figured it was safe to assume they would work....lol. 

At least with the Zip, as long as you don't use any EQ, it will sound the same as it would with Rockbox and no EQ....but hopefully you get it all working.
smile.gif

Oct 16, 2012 at 2:17 AM Post #2,314 of 8,352
Well I didn't mention this but I picked up a 2nd clip. This time the clip zip. Like it better with the larger display. Easier to navigate.

I similarly am having no problems with this one rockboxed. Using the same 64gb card. I am getting a "team" brand 32gb in tmrrw that I picked up for $15. Ill let y'all know if that one has any problems. I'll format it the same way as the other one (disk utility in linux).

y'all might get mad at me for not posting this earlier but I also picked up an 8gb card for $2 dollars including shipping (no tax) from the "1saleaday" website. Now expired. sorry :p

12GB player = $32

Oct 16, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #2,317 of 8,352
Hi guys, I've been lurking around this forum for a while now deciding on a decent pair of headphones. I never really spent more than $10 or so on head/earphones before so it took me a little while, but I settled on these JVC headphones and ordered a pair off ebay earlier today. After reading what everyone had to say about these I'm fairly excited to get them and try them out. What kind of shipping times have people experienced from japan to the states? Also, do you guys recommend a portable amp (<$30) for these (my source outside of the house will be my galaxy s3)?

Oct 16, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #2,318 of 8,352
These will have plenty of volume on your phone..Of course getting an amp is just upping the sound which is not a bad thing. Lets just say it depends on how much you are willing to spend. As for shipping. That depends on the shipper. realisticly it shouldn't take more than a week maybe and a few days.. These will be a nice upgrade in sound for you.  Welcome to headfi.

Oct 16, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #2,319 of 8,352
No amp requiered,  expect 10 to 12 days.(maybe less)

Oct 16, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #2,321 of 8,352
Question.  I know these are about .... 1/3rd the price of the V-Moda M-80, but I was wondering if any of you have both and could compare the sound signature between them?

S500 is brighter. M80 has better more detailed midrange and weaker bass (by far). Much more bass impact and quantity from the s500

Oct 16, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #2,322 of 8,352
Quote:
S500 is brighter. M80 has better more detailed midrange and weaker bass (by far). Much more bass impact and quantity from the s500

Thanks so much for the reply.  I know these two are in TOTALLY different price ranges, but I have been trying to decide on which one to get.  I am not a basshead and I love midrange.  Think the M-80 would be more in my taste of sound signature.

Oct 16, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #2,323 of 8,352
To me the HA-S500 has much better highs for my taste at least. The M-80s roll off the highs and are somewhat neutral in the overall sound including bass. I am more interesting to hear a comparison to the M-100 vs the HA-S500 actually. From what I am reading the M-100 impressions are like what these HA-S500 sound like with wider stage.

Oct 16, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #2,324 of 8,352
Thanks so much for the reply.  I know these two are in TOTALLY different price ranges, but I have been trying to decide on which one to get.  I am not a basshead and I love midrange.  Think the M-80 would be more in my taste of sound signature.

You might want to consider trying the s400 for 25 bucks shipped from Macmall. They would probably suit your taste better than the S500. I have been listening to mine for days now because they are just so pleasant to listen to. I put those AT pleather pads on them to get the best seal and sound IMO. That being said, I don't own the M80 but just listened to them 3 days ago. I really enjoyed them actually and would not mind owning a pair myself.

Oct 16, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #2,325 of 8,352
Quote:
You might want to consider trying the s400 for 25 bucks shipped from Macmall. They would probably suit your taste better than the S500. I have been listening to mine for days now because they are just so pleasant to listen to. I put those AT pleather pads on them to get the best seal and sound IMO. That being said, I don't own the M80 but just listened to them 3 days ago. I really enjoyed them actually and would not mind owning a pair myself.

I have had my eye on three headphones (S400, S500 and M-80)  for a while and have read more posts than I count. 

It seems to me that the price point on each is perfect.  The S400 has a GREAT sound for the price, but still the S500 is better overall.  So if I got the S400, I would be wondering how the S500 compared every time I used them. 

I know the M-80 is about double the price of the S400 and S500 combined, but it might just be the "right" sound signature for me.  Really wish I knew someone close so I could test this "educated guess".

I do not plan on making a purchase until about Christmas time, but I might just save my $$ and go for the M-80.

Again, I really appreciate everyone's replies and thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back