The JVC HA-S500 thread.
Oct 14, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #2,266 of 8,352
Quote:
If that reviewer tries them he will most likely say they have too much bass.
And I don't know why you and some other people find them uncomfortable. I even wear glasses with them just fine. 
smile.gif
 My only issue with them was sweaty ear syndrome with the stock pads....easily remedied by the HD25 velours.

They're fine for me as well, the clamping force had tamed down a bit through regular usage. But to be honest on ear headphones aren't that comfortable anymore when you're used to wear supraaural cans.
I might go through with the HM5 pads like Cyloh had done. Kinda cheap, and free postage too 
beerchug.gif

Oct 14, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #2,268 of 8,352
These things isolate too well. I'm listening on my clip zip, and I had my phone alarm set to go grab my laundry. Wondered why the alarm hadn't gone off yet. Apparently it had been going off for a while lol!

Oct 14, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #2,269 of 8,352
great...i think i will be 70dollars poorer lol... i got one question and one request.

1. where do you guys buy it from, i was thinking "made in japan " from amazon, any other great retailers ?

2. acan someone provide of with a detail shot of the back of the package (box ).

thanks !

Oct 14, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #2,272 of 8,352
Oct 14, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #2,273 of 8,352
Quote:

I have not heard the DJ100, but I like Koss (ksc75 on headband, or portapro on earclip), so that's an interesting comparison. In that thread, I just read this from Zombie X:

Quote:
These are a good value, up to a point that is. I find that they are excellent for $50-$60, but not for full retail. These aren't horrible headphones at all and I'd say they are one of the best in the $50-$60 range. Of course I prefer the PX100-IIi, but that is just me.

I also have the PX100-II (which cost the same as the S500), and I think that it is great (love the build quality, and the portability - perfect for the gym) and the SQ is very good (lots of bass and very easy to listen to). But imo it doesn't really compare to the S500  - the S500 has so much more depth, the sub-bass goes deeper but is very controlled (not muddy at all), and there is much more detail everywhere. So, if the PX100-II is more of a comparison for the DJ100, then the S500 probably wins handily. I would be very interested to hear from anyone who has experience with both though.

Oct 14, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #2,274 of 8,352
Quote:
This was my reaction, too.  Lost way too much bass for my taste, and I'm not a bass head.  Seemed to lose some staging in the bass end, too.  Amazing how much difference pads can make.  The ATH's are way more comfortable, though. 

What's the physics behind such a difference?

I tend to agree with this too. 

The ATH pleathers definitely open the sound up on these and adds a little more overall clarity and detail to the sound but of course there is a compromise and that is the loss of some bass resulting in them being less fun sounding to me. I'm a bit of a noob so wasn't sure what my preferred sound signature was but obviously I've now discovered I like my bass lol. I would probably give up a little detail just for the return of that bass end so I guess I'll probably go back to the stock pads. I'm loving the Clip Zip too btw! 

Oct 14, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #2,276 of 8,352
Oct 14, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #2,277 of 8,352
So, what should my next purchase be? Referring to post #2276, I've established I like a fun sound signature with nice bass. Obviously I don't want the highs and mids to be lacking either though but as long as they are decent enough. Even though I love my bass I don't want it to interfere with the rest of the sound. 

Suggestions?

Oct 14, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #2,278 of 8,352
Quote:
I owned them and then quickly sold them.. The Ops taste in sound is how can you say.. Different than ours. Lol. The HA-S500 is what that phone should have been..They aren't bad but the HA-S500 does everything better.

I just was curious because of the reputation of both models as being "budget goodness." 
Quote:
So, what should my next purchase be? Referring to post #2276, I've established I like a fun sound signature with nice bass. Obviously I don't want the highs and mids to be lacking either though but as long as they are decent enough. Even though I love my bass I don't want it to interfere with the rest of the sound. 

Suggestions?

A second pair of S500's? 
biggrin.gif

Oct 14, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #2,279 of 8,352
Quote:
I just was curious because of the reputation of both models as being "budget goodness." 

A second pair of S500's? 
biggrin.gif

Lol. I should add that I would be looking for an upgrade to the S500's.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy enough with the S500's for now but I'll be looking to buy something else over the coming months. 

Oct 14, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #2,280 of 8,352
Quote:
Lol. I should add that I would be looking for an upgrade to the S500's.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy enough with the S500's for now but I'll be looking to buy something else over the coming months. 

I think you would have to spend quite a lot of money to upgrade from the S500's. 
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back