The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread
Apr 29, 2024 at 8:43 AM Post #22,426 of 22,434
to whoever is interested, Oratory1990 released/updated his Abyss TC eq settings recently (2 weeks ago). can be found on AutoEq github.

I'm really liking what it's doing for vocals and the top end. might find it a bit sharp at first, especially with pads at 9 and 3 o'clock, but at 10 and 2 it sounds fab. the low end is cleaned up a lot and makes it seem like it extends down even further.
Great news! Reminds me of recently trying Amir from ASR's EQ settings. I absolutely have no idea how he could listen to it like that. Sounded totally mental.

Apr 29, 2024 at 8:55 AM Post #22,427 of 22,434
Apr 29, 2024 at 10:33 AM Post #22,428 of 22,434
DCH Chimera vs Danacables Nirvana

PXL_20240429_125913731.jpg

I posted lengthily about DHC Chimera already, but I thought I'd share briefer thoughts about the Danacables Lazuli Nirvana, as the differences are fairly distinct.

I shouldn't have to say this, but I will: my ears, my system, YMMV.
  • Chimera has the more clarity, resolution, and superior imaging, instrument separation (though Nirvana is no slouch)
  • Bottom end feels punchier and gruntier with Nirvana (I checked this on Susvara to be sure) in the midbass. Chimera reaches a bit lower overall though. This makes the Nirvana sound better to me for metal and heavy rock. On Tool especially on a song like Parabola, it can be quite treble-heavy in the first thirty seconds. With Chimera it was a little too bright. Too much information coming through almost. Nirvana softened that treble a bit.
  • Chimera isn't punishing on the high end or anything compared to Nirvana. I think it's just a consequence of having more detail to accentuate. On a track like Hazey Jane II by Nick Drake, with Chimera I mentioned how it brought out an emphasis on deep brass in the left channel I had never heard so present before. With the Nirvana that brass is a little more in the background. This is indicative of consistently less detail with Nirvana, but we're still talking about immense amounts of detail from Nirvana. Chimera is simply exceptional in this regard.
  • Nirvana is a shade more immersive. More like live music. Chimera more like hearing a pristine studio recording in the mixing room.
  • Nirvana is a shade warmer than Chimera.
  • Music sounds farther away with Chimera, with instruments surrounding you. You can almost see the gap between musicians in your mind's eye.
  • Both are an upgrade to Superconductor, imo. Chimera more so.
Which cable I use with either 1266 or Susvara will likely be genre dependent. For anything outside of rock or metal and NOT on 1266, I would find it hard to choose Nirvana over Chimera, because Chimera brings such punch and attack as well as the frankly insane resolution and clarity.

But for rock and metal on 1266, it's going to be hard to get the Nirvana off. I LOVE what it's doing to my 1266 for these genres.

Both are incredible cables, but overall I feel like the Chimera is playing one league above the Nirvana. I admire Chimera's technicalities, and it's still beautifully musical to listen to (see my notes about Nick Drake in my previous Chimera post), but there is a certain magic about Nirvana that's compelling.

I know a few on here have preferred the JPS Superconductor cable, but I just can't get there at all. I would take the Nirvana over SC in a heartbeat. And the Chimera is several yards ahead of the SC in every way for me.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2024 at 11:07 AM Post #22,429 of 22,434
Which cable do you prefer in terms of ergonomics? Chimera? How do they compare in that aspect to the SC / other cables you had?

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2024 at 11:13 AM Post #22,430 of 22,434
Chimera is SO much more comfortable to have around. Lighter too, nicer sheathing.

My Nirvana cable has the plush option, but it's still pretty stiff. SC by miles the softest and more malleable. But once those headphones go on, that all falls away. Cables just sit in my lap anyway and are forgotten about. Can't imagine listening to SC over these two, and SC was a great cable.

The Furutech XLR plug on the Nirvana is like something out of Nasa. It's incredible. Look at this thing...
PXL_20240429_151017542.jpg

And the Eidolic on the Chimera is stunning already. But this is the SUV of XLR plugs :)

The Chimera is tons of fun on 1266, but I think I'll have a hard time taking the Nirvana off it. Early days, but feels like Chimera is THE one for Sus (bear in mind I haven't tried Danacables Voila though).

Apr 30, 2024 at 7:23 AM Post #22,431 of 22,434
20240430_191908-01.jpeg

The Oratory ended up sharp sounding for quite a few of my favourite songs. combined some eq from my previous staple and this end product sounds good to me. give it a go and see what u think.

May 2, 2024 at 2:41 PM Post #22,432 of 22,434
Previously the 1266 TC wasn't always my favorite headphone. There's one aspect which all this while bugs me, and that is the tonality and timbre. I always felt it's a bit off, treble sounds unnatural/metallic and bass sometimes becomes overwhelming. After using Mitch neutral-bass filter, it has somewhat improved but I still prefer my other headphones. It came to a point where I put my TC on sale but somehow nobody wanted to buy them in my country. However, for this past one month or so, I've been listening to it more frequently out of my 300B preamp + Primavera combo (+ still using Mitch neutral-bass filter), and voila, I no longer have this timbre issue. Everything sounds so natural, very even frequency from top to bottom, a very full, seductive and forward midrange, and treble is much more natural than ever. Although soundstage is not as wide or open as from my CFA3, but still has very very good depth and layering.

I'm glad it works out and I don't think I will put the TC on sale in the future. Very very enjoyable with my music genre (jazz + classical).
I have similar relationship with TC. It's been on sale twice, but the price I've used has been so high that no-one has bought it. After two months apart, I put them on with absolutely no expectations. Then, boom.

TC is such an amazing toy. It doesn't give you flat response curve, it's not "reference", but it's just great for listening to music. Especially now that I've been fiddling with PGGB DSD, they have found completely new life. Amazing synergy. Nothing is lacking, nothing is overdone.

Last edited:
May 2, 2024 at 4:16 PM Post #22,433 of 22,434
the 1266 is like no other HP and I have had or listened to pretty much everything...there is no best but the 1266 does things no other HP can...it is so alive sounding,so big and grand...has such a great soundstage and the bass and grunt is without peer...pair it with a top notch tube amp and viola,marvelous

May 2, 2024 at 4:46 PM Post #22,434 of 22,434
the 1266 is like no other HP and I have had or listened to pretty much everything...there is no best but the 1266 does things no other HP can...it is so alive sounding,so big and grand...has such a great soundstage and the bass and grunt is without peer...pair it with a top notch tube amp and viola,marvelous
Totally agree. My Abyss 1266 are the best I've experienced and I've decided to not bother collecting others. I'm hoping to just stay with these and my HD800S. I have a Flux Mentor amp on the way and I'm told this will be a great pairing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back