The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Aug 15, 2014 at 3:10 AM Post #14,686 of 18,652
  I wanted to attach/link some pics, but apparently and understandably I don't seem to have rights to do so yet.
So here's a link to a gallery of my pics: http://postimg.org/gallery/3iwm1gdfc/
I recommend viewing the full size versions for the pictures of the usb port (click the picture again, url will end /full/ when you're viewing the full res image).
So, looking similar? I also included a picture of the player as a "proof" and a picture of the packaging thing I mentioned.

Thank you all for your input. Basically yes, I also figured that all of my gripes with the packaging and prints and whatnot have to do with the reseller and/or shipping company.
The only thing that might be iBasso's fault would be this usb port thingy. Thing is, everything feels sturdy, the port definitely doesn't seem loose.
And other than this gripe with the port, the build quality feels superb and I feel bummed that I have to complain.. I think I'm simply unlucky with my unit.
I mean, faults and errors happen with the largest of the brands, so it wouldn't be completely unheard of for a smaller company to have a little slip up.
Especially when everything else with the unit is fine & I truly believe now that the packaging mess is due to the reseller/shipping comp. Actually I'm sure iBasso would replace the unit, but since I won't be settling in one country for a while, I figured I might as well live with it as long as other issues don't show up.
I want to clarify that overall I'm very happy with the player, which should say quite a bit given these "misfortunes".

I can assure you that the sign of the pins of the microusb in the plastic surface is a design flaw - every DX50 und DX90 have this. After hundred times of plugging and unplugging you will get nice deep rills. Also my new LG G3 phone have this feature. Stay cool - everything is O.K. with your unit. Don't buy a DX90 in future - here you get a design flaw of the battery cover. You can't close it completly, there will be always a gap of 1mm. And to make you nervous - check the display for stuck or dead pixels - normally you will find at least one :wink: 
After looking at your linked pics i found another flaw: you have a small cut in the surface of your aluminium front housing at the bottom between the LO and gain switch. When you will find flaws you will always find it - i have never seen a DX50 without small optical faults.

Aug 15, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #14,687 of 18,652
  Hello!
Any idea why my player is not responding/playing my 24/96 files?
FW1.5. thx!  

They should play- all of my 24 bit stuff plays, at that rate and higher.  Try re-encoding them.  On a Mac, XLD will do that.  On a PC, no idea but PCs always have more apps for stuff like that than do Macs, so it should be easy to find (a free) one.  

Aug 15, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #14,688 of 18,652

I can assure you that the sign of the pins of the microusb in the plastic surface is a design flaw - every DX50 und DX90 have this. After hundred times of plugging and unplugging you will get nice deep rills. Also my new LG G3 phone have this feature. Stay cool - everything is O.K. with your unit. Don't buy a DX90 in future - here you get a design flaw of the battery cover. You can't close it completly, there will be always a gap of 1mm. And to make you nervous - check the display for stuck or dead pixels - normally you will find at least one :wink: 
After looking at your linked pics i found another flaw: you have a small cut in the surface of your aluminium front housing at the bottom between the LO and gain switch. When you will find flaws you will always find it - i have never seen a DX50 without small optical faults.

Thanks for your input. Well, that is surprising! I thought it was only my unit, since I didn't see sign of the rills on any pics I saw on the internet, but I guess people might have taken the pictures before much/any plugging/unplugging of the cable.
Ahaha, no I don't want to check the display for dead/stuck pixels in that case..
bigsmile_face.gif
Since I'm not noticing any now, I better not look for it or it'll be "staring" at me every time I turn the display on.
tongue.gif

About that dent on the front aluminium.. Yeah, I noticed it as soon as I unboxed the player, but I felt it wasn't too distracting/worth writing about.. Then again, other things I wrote about might be nitpicking compared to that haha

But damn if the player isn't sturdy despite these minor flaws. I mean seriously, I feel like I love the player more and more, the more I hold it in my hand while playing. They really nailed the design on this player and the build quality is great despite these nitpickings.

Aug 15, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #14,690 of 18,652

Thanks for your input. Well, that is surprising! I thought it was only my unit, since I didn't see sign of the rills on any pics I saw on the internet, but I guess people might have taken the pictures before much/any plugging/unplugging of the cable.
Ahaha, no I don't want to check the display for dead/stuck pixels in that case..
bigsmile_face.gif
Since I'm not noticing any now, I better not look for it or it'll be "staring" at me every time I turn the display on.
tongue.gif

About that dent on the front aluminium.. Yeah, I noticed it as soon as I unboxed the player, but I felt it wasn't too distracting/worth writing about.. Then again, other things I wrote about might be nitpicking compared to that haha

But damn if the player isn't sturdy despite these minor flaws. I mean seriously, I feel like I love the player more and more, the more I hold it in my hand while playing. They really nailed the design on this player and the build quality is great despite these nitpickings.

@synthesis: especially for you - a macro shot of my unit after several month of use:

Aug 15, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #14,691 of 18,652
@Trebor1966 Thanks for going through the trouble of taking a pic even though it wasn't really necessary.
biggrin.gif
But appreciate it nevertheless. I can't help but wonder why they included a cable with such huge "pins", I mean I compared the included cable to other microusb cables that I have laying around and the iBasso included one had the chunkiest ones.. Not that it matters a lot, but just changing the included cable to one with smaller ones would minimize the issue with units that happen to have the port placed kind of close to the enclosure. On my particular unit though it seemed like a really tight fit (left marks after two plug in/outs after all) to the point where I just got rid of the pins on the cable I'll keep using with the player. But yeah, yours look like something mine would look like after a while if I kept using regular regular plugs.

@olddude Thanks for your input as well. I believe you and I'll conclude from these differing reports that some players/batches have this, some don't.
But as I've said, it doesn't really bother me anymore. It's not a serious problem at all. But this combined with the packaging kind of freaked me out I had received a tampered player.

Now that I know my player isn't unique in its tiny imperfections, I can concentrate on enjoying it.
o2smile.gif

I was just a little bit worried it might have been a return to the reseller or such, but now I can conclude that these things are not exactly unique, even if most likely rare.

One useful (I think) thing I didn't see listed anywhere is that the album art size on the now playing screen is 109x109 (weird number I know).
Found out by first using the gui pictures on the iBasso site as a general guideline, then photoshopping a few 320x240 wallpapers with different sized squares.. I would have attached the wallpaper I used, but I'd rather not leave this post pending approval again. Anyone can easily check by themselves, photoshop is overkill, any editor will do.
tongue.gif

Do with that information what you will.. I'm thinking of resizing my art to that size, but obviously I don't recommend everyone to do it without considering that the size could possibly change in the future and.. I guess rockbox shows it larger? Or at least has the possibility depending on the theme I guess.. I'm still gonna check if multiples of that look (almost) as good.. I did test several numbers that are close (incl. 110x110 & 120x120) and concluded that the native res looks the best (as expected).. But didn't try multiples yet which might be a nice compromise that might save effort in case of future RB use.. I'm gonna try out now..
Was going to look into batch resizing them, but then realized lots of online bought albums have the artwork embedded, so not sure if extracting them all will be worth the effort. Would save a few megs as a bonus I guess, but still..
I'm not usually fuzzy about album art, but since the mango player shows those darn circles when there's no albumart, I'd rather see sharp albumart..
Otherwise I'd probably just have gotten rid of it all together, leaving more space for album/artist/title infos.

Aug 15, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #14,692 of 18,652

I can't help but wonder why they included a cable with such huge "pins"

eh, I use the cable that came with my phone so I haven't had a problem

when putting the DX50 into usb charge mode, would it be possible to strap one of those mobile battery packs to it and have extra life? My player dies too quickly

Aug 15, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #14,693 of 18,652
  They should play- all of my 24 bit stuff plays, at that rate and higher.  Try re-encoding them.  On a Mac, XLD will do that.  On a PC, no idea but PCs always have more apps for stuff like that than do Macs, so it should be easy to find (a free) one.  

Thanks for your reply, I tried to convert one file (but only to WAV) since all I have are flac files, and the player totally freaked and took me back to the splash screen when tried to play the wav converted file (it was 697,906 kb) for the one song I've tried!!! so the flac file sizes were enormous to start off, as in average size of 400,000 KB or 3.5 gig per folder, the music played with out any problem on my PC using Winamp and it blew me away, t'was the best thing I've ever listen to using my headphones/desktop speakers, and listening to my beloved dire straits Brothers in arms album, was such an ear candy I am still in awe!
Could it be file size limitation issue? the dx50 was able to play other 24/96 without a problem...I hope that someone will be able to find a solution since I have another 10 albums that I would love to listen to with my sweet little DX50!
Thanks olddude I appreciate it!
GS     

Aug 15, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #14,694 of 18,652
The biggest files I have seen are about 150 megabites (regular FLACs are around 30).  Most of the hi-res files I have are 80-120mb, and play fine with the DX50.  When I said re-convert, I meant take a hi-res FLAC and simply run it through an app and make a "new" FLAC out of it.  I've downloaded a few things that wouldn't play, and by doing the above they then would.  
I'm not sure what files you have, where you got them, and how they were encoded.  If I'm reading your post correctly, your average file size is 400mb?  Seems excessive.  If you use a Mac, I can help you a bit more, if you use a Windows machine maybe someone else here has some ideas as to how to downsize and re-encode your files.

Aug 16, 2014 at 5:39 AM Post #14,695 of 18,652
  Hello!
Any idea why my player is not responding/playing my 24/96 files?
FW1.5. thx!  

I also have audio flac files of 96khz and 16 bit they are 6 channel and will not play in the DX50 but will play in my Cowon D3 iI have put them through dbpower amp as they are and also tried a conversion to .wav The next thing to try is converting to stereo and see if that works. Strange how they play in the older D3 without any problem, I did try the coax out on the D3 and the files are down sampled to stereo on my Yamaha amp so maybe that is the answer.

I would be interested to know if anyone can output 5.1 audio from the coax of the DX50 to an av amp.

Aug 16, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #14,696 of 18,652
DX50 is a 2-channel player.  If you convert your multi-channel files to stereo, THEN they will play.  Note also that a lot of the 6-channel stuff out there is up-sampled from original 2-channel source so there is not much point in then down-sampling it again. 

Aug 16, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #14,697 of 18,652
Just made the jump to the Sound Unlocked 1.3.3! A nice improvement. All my Flacs now seem to have a nicer resolution. Listening to Traffic's Low Spark of High Heeled Boys and I can hear a lot more off-mic grunts and such like, stuff I'm pretty sure I'd never have picked up before. It's exactly that kind of thing that brings a record to life (bass pedal squeaks, off-mic singing, acoustic reverb...smashing 
etysmile.gif

I'm pairing  the DX50 with my Westone 3s and a pair of Shure SRH840s (although the 840s like a bit of amping since they're soooo uncoloured, the bass just kind of gets a bit lost).
Have to say, I come from a modded iPod (with an 128gb SD adaptor + Rockbox, that I was very proud of) but the DX50 and the SU firmware knocks that clean out of the park!

Now it's just a case of how soon can I make the move up from my W3s to something better (I am an earphone devotee after living with these W3s)

I also like that we can finally import playlists! That was a bit of an iBasso faux pas.

What are peoples views on the difference between the 312 and 408 settings? Does 408 make any major impact except on battery life?

Aug 16, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #14,698 of 18,652
  DX50 is a 2-channel player.  If you convert your multi-channel files to stereo, THEN they will play.  Note also that a lot of the 6-channel stuff out there is up-sampled from original 2-channel source so there is not much point in then down-sampling it again. 

Thanks ran the files through AIMP3 and in stereo they play on the DX50 the originals were from a blue ray disk of a live concert, I guess they played on the D3 because that plays video as well as audio. Happy now and all part of the learning curve of what will play and what to do if it does not.

Aug 16, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #14,699 of 18,652
(Good) stereo is our friend!

I finally got around to trying SU 1.3.3.  THIS one I like- the other customs had not worked for me (maybe because of my amp, maybe because of...?).   Sound isn't veiled or goosed in certain frequencies, just sounds cleaner all across the soundstage and in all frequencies.  The best of 1.5.0 and then some.  Running FLAC and 312.  I've been listening for about 15 minutes to a variety of tracks (jumping around, bit to bit) and my ears aren't tired.  That's a good sign.

Good job, Dm1try!  Thanks.  
normal_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back