The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Dec 30, 2013 at 6:02 AM Post #9,556 of 18,652
1.27 for a day.
Will change back to 1.22 for the crystal clear highs and details.

Dec 30, 2013 at 6:20 AM Post #9,558 of 18,652
1.27 for a day.

Will change back to 1.22 for the crystal clear highs and details.

I share the same impression with 1.2.2 but I find it thin on the lows. 1.2.3b is in the opposite end.

Anything after both FWs is quite balanced in my ear.

I got the t1 amp for me thus the 1.22 just give me a right amount of bass.
the bass section of 1.2.7 is quite good but i just dislike the tamed highs. For a balanced preference i wiould just go for 1.22.

Dec 30, 2013 at 6:24 AM Post #9,559 of 18,652
I have an an iBasso DX50 from the 7th batch and running Firmware 1.2.7 now. I have an issue when playing 24bit/192khz flac files. I clearly hear clicks and little pops during playback. This was the case since i got the player. I was told by iBasso that they don't have issue playing 192khz files, so I assumed my player would be faulty but the guy from iBasso told me that would not be the case because the clicks appear irregularly (sometimes within seconds, sometimes minutes) 

I played my 192khz files on my home equipment and don't have any issues. These are all files downloaded from Linn Records and HD Tracks, so there should not be any issues with the properties of these files. I can play 24bit/96khz fine. At this stage I don't know whats causing the issue, I hoped any of the new firmware releases might fix that issue but they did not. 

Is anybody else having issus with 192khz flac files? Any ideas? 

Dec 30, 2013 at 6:33 AM Post #9,560 of 18,652
Not using anything higher than 24/96, so no real personal experience to help you with… What may come to my mind is:

- do the clicks appear in the same place in a certain song, or are they completely random? The first would suggest that they really are a part of the song, like if they were digitalized starting  from vinyl, and you're hearing something from the starting equipment - I understand that this should not be the case, given their source.
- you might want to try downsampling a couple of 24/192 songs with the problem to 24/96, and see if the problem goes away - this might indicate that the DX50 is at fault.

Nothing else much comes to my mind, maybe somebody else has more to suggest.

Dec 30, 2013 at 6:36 AM Post #9,561 of 18,652
  Not using anything higher than 24/96, so no real personal experience to help you with… What may come to my mind is:

- do the clicks appear in the same place in a certain song, or are they completely random? The first would suggest that they really are a part of the song, like if they were digitalized starting  from vinyl, and you're hearing something from the starting equipment - I understand that this should not be the case, given their source.
- you might want to try downsampling a couple of 24/192 songs with the problem to 24/96, and see if the problem goes away - this might indicate that the DX50 is at fault.

Nothing else much comes to my mind, maybe somebody else has more to suggest.

When i downsampled the files to 96khz they play fine. I highlighted that to iBasso already and still was told player is fine...

Dec 30, 2013 at 6:47 AM Post #9,562 of 18,652
  When i downsampled the files to 96khz they play fine. I highlighted that to iBasso already and still was told player is fine...

Thats a fatal bug that ibasso cant fixed till now.
24/192 FLAC will having random clicks. WAV is working fine.

Dec 30, 2013 at 6:52 AM Post #9,563 of 18,652
  Thats a fatal bug that ibasso cant fixed till now.
24/192 FLAC will having random clicks. WAV is working fine.

I can confirm that 24bit/192khz wav is working for me. So that flac issue is a general bug? So far I got the impression from the communication with iBasso that this is an issue with my files or whatever. In case i am not the only one that would call for a fix.

Dec 30, 2013 at 6:56 AM Post #9,564 of 18,652
I don't hear any clicks playing 24/192 files. However, I have all my files in ALAC format.

Maybe convert one to ALAC and check if the issue is isolated to FLAC.

Dec 30, 2013 at 6:57 AM Post #9,565 of 18,652
  I can confirm that 24bit/192khz wav is working for me. So that flac issue is a general bug? So far I got the impression from the communication with iBasso that this is an issue with my files or whatever. In case i am not the only one that would call for a fix.

um... maybe its about the compression ratio of flac. 

Dec 30, 2013 at 7:15 AM Post #9,566 of 18,652
My brother just bought a DX50, and its a cool little DAP. I cannot say I like the sound as much as my DX100, but there is a slight price difference
tongue.gif
. I wish my dx100 was back from repair (dropped by a family member) to do a true side by side.

As a quick comparison from memory (which is pretty good I use it a lot). I would rate the ipod touch 5th gen a 3/10 (w/E17 4.5/10), the Clip Zip 3.5/10,  the DX50 a 6.5/10, and the DX100 would be a 10/10 in sound quality only. Granted this definitely varies depending on which headphones you are using as the DX100 likes to make some headphones sing, and others just improve in sound.  It does blow away my clip zip and my family members ipods. Build quality is on par with the DX100 other than the side buttons being a little loose feeling, and the headphone jack is not my favorite. People argue that the DX100 chassis does not feel as solid, but I feel like that if the DX50 were the same size it would feel the same. The touch screen bugs me on the DX50 as it is way too fast and sensitive to me, especially when I am used to my sluggish DX100. I do like look of the glossy screen over the anti glare DX100 screen, but that is minor. Ibasso definitely seems to be more focused on this player at the moment as the firmware seems to be less glitchy at times, and the media scanning works much better than the DX100. The media scanning on the DX100 is by far my largest issue. I honestly hope ibasso puts the same media scanning system into the DX100 as it is much easier to tell if your music is actually loaded and how long it will take to load. The one thing I absolutely love about the DX50 is the 3 large physical buttons. The DX100 does have an advantage with more menu options, and customization of small stuff.

Honestly in form and function I prefer the DX50 to the DX100, but when it comes to sound I still have not heard anything that can touch the DX100 SQ wise. I still feel like the DX100 is worth the extra money despite it being clunky. I have gotten too comfortable with its sound quality and signature to really switch to anything else. The DX50 without a doubt is a bargain at the $240 price tag though.

As a quick question is anybody having trouble with the EQ popping on? My brothers is updated to the 1.2.7, and the EQ will not stay off (though it stays at neutral). Is there a fix to this? I know keeping the DX100 EQ off is quite a big deal as it changes the sound level quite a bit.

Dec 30, 2013 at 8:05 AM Post #9,567 of 18,652
I don't hear any clicks playing 24/192 files. However, I have all my files in ALAC format.

Maybe convert one to ALAC and check if the issue is isolated to FLAC.

I tried FLAC again, just to check if the clicks are random or always at the same time > it's completely random and I can hear clicks at every play-through of the file
Same file converted to 24bit/192khz AIFF > I hear no clicks 
Same file converted to 24bit/192khz ALAC > again random clicks like in FLAC
WAV file > no clicks 

This is really annoying, the player should work with all formats up to 192khz, not just some or random. 

Dec 30, 2013 at 8:24 AM Post #9,568 of 18,652
The one thing I absolutely love about the DX50 is the 3 large physical buttons. 

Honestly in form and function I prefer the DX50 to the DX100, but when it comes to sound I still have not heard anything that can touch the DX100 SQ wise.

When I strapped an amp to the DX50, I put my DX100 up for sale... Yes it gets bulky, but sounds amazing, has physical buttons and I can just unplug the amp when using it on the go 
wink.gif

Dec 30, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #9,569 of 18,652
I've been using mine with my ibasso d10 and it sounds amazing

Dec 30, 2013 at 8:41 AM Post #9,570 of 18,652
  As a quick question is anybody having trouble with the EQ popping on? My brothers is updated to the 1.2.7, and the EQ will not stay off (though it stays at neutral). Is there a fix to this? I know keeping the DX100 EQ off is quite a big deal as it changes the sound level quite a bit.

Not sure what his problem is, I have the EQ On right now and it stays that way so no problem with the function. Remember that the EQ is actually enabled when the display shows Off at the bottom, not too intuitive but that's what iBasso has chosen, it is reflective of what you want to do next and not the current EQ status.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back