The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Dec 11, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #8,446 of 18,652
iBasso has implemented a single Wolfson 8740 better than anything else I have heard it in. Sorensiim has got that right. Sorensiim I wish you could take over the thread to keep the first page up to date. Thanks for doing the FAQ!

Dec 11, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #8,447 of 18,652
I use a ZY HIFI Cable Silver Cable 3.5mm Male to Male Stereo Audio Cable for my DX50 line out to the Leckerton headphone amp and it provides the basis for a warm deep rich sound without costing the earth. http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00A2QJPFS/

Hey that's the cable I use, it's amazing what it gives you for the price isn't it :D

Dec 11, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #8,448 of 18,652
Okay.  Had my dap for a week or so.  Updated the firmware, no problem.  Dragged and dropped albums from iTunes.  All CD rips and iTunes songs (ich! I didn't know any better!) transferred fine.  However all my HDtracks did not transfer to an artist or an album, they are all grouped under "null". I tried dragging as an album and as a song. These tracks work fine on my MacMini which I am using exclusively for my home unit.  (I posted this somewhere here about 20 pages ago).  I'm learning as I go.  I didn't know what a "tag" was.  Now I can look in iTunes and see them.  The ones that go to "null" and the ones that go to album and artist appear to be the same, except for the sample rate.  Can someone help walk be through this?

Dec 11, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #8,449 of 18,652
Hey that's the cable I use, it's amazing what it gives you for the price isn't it :D

Yes it's great. I was given another specialst cable when I brought a set of headphones and compared it to the ZY cable and was surprised that I could hear a difference in the sound but I could with the ZY cable providing a warmer richer sound. And it is neat and tidy.

I think its a keeper.

Dec 11, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #8,450 of 18,652
Yes it's great. I was given another specialst cable when I brought a set of headphones and compared it to the ZY cable and was surprised that I could hear a difference in the sound but I could with the ZY cable providing a warmer richer sound. And it is neat and tidy.

I think its a keeper.

When you take into account how little the cable actually costs for how great the build quality and materials used are, definitely a keeper :normal_smile :

Dec 11, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #8,451 of 18,652
iBasso has implemented a single Wolfson 8740 better than anything else I have heard it in. Sorensiim has got that right. Sorensiim I wish you could take over the thread to keep the first page up to date. Thanks for doing the FAQ!

Maybe speaking to the admins could help?

I'd love to have our new firmware updates notified in the thread title, as that makes it so much easier for some to know when to visit this thread and grab the download link. :)

Dec 11, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #8,452 of 18,652
Maybe speaking to the admins could help?

I'd love to have our new firmware updates notified in the thread title, as that makes it so much easier for some to know when to visit this thread and grab the download link. :)

+1

Dec 11, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #8,453 of 18,652

I agree, some don't think its worth it but I do. Soren has been very helpful throughout this thread as well as music heaven.

Dec 11, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #8,454 of 18,652
I agree with the dx50 , I would have to say its an extremely good dap, to me the bug is tolerable, the SQ is really good for an implementation of a single wolfson or at least comparable in some area with my ak100, pretty gud imo

Quote:
  Okay.  Had my dap for a week or so.  Updated the firmware, no problem.  Dragged and dropped albums from iTunes.  All CD rips and iTunes songs (ich! I didn't know any better!) transferred fine.  However all my HDtracks did not transfer to an artist or an album, they are all grouped under "null". I tried dragging as an album and as a song. These tracks work fine on my MacMini which I am using exclusively for my home unit.  (I posted this somewhere here about 20 pages ago).  I'm learning as I go.  I didn't know what a "tag" was.  Now I can look in iTunes and see them.  The ones that go to "null" and the ones that go to album and artist appear to be the same, except for the sample rate.  Can someone help walk be through this?

"Tag" is the Title, Artist, album info or stuff , its the stuff you get when you click get info in itunes

Dec 11, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #8,455 of 18,652

Hi DexS,
Do you import your HDTracks into your iTunes library?  If you do, iTunes will add to your library and add the files into the iTunes Music folder. You can then delete the HDTracks from your downloads folder or wherever you download them too.  When you import into the iTunes library, iTunes will organize them just like any other purchased or ripped file.  I simply copied over the artist folders from my iTunes folder onto my SD card and all is well.  I've done no other tagging or anything else.

Also, in iTunes, under Preferences, go to Advanced and check the two boxes for iTunes to "Keep iTunes media folder organized" and "Copy files to iTunes media folder when adding to library".  That is what manages that music folder for you. 
Scott

Dec 12, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #8,457 of 18,652
I was thinking about buying one of these yesterday and went to a local shop to hear a demo, but the guy at the shop didn't want to sell it - he thinks the build quality isn't good enough, so I think he may have been shipped a particularly bad batch or something. He claimed that 2 of the 5 he sold had to be shipped back to ibasso due to build quality issues (he also claimed the soldering inside was really amateurish - his claim, not mine). I was pretty surprised - I know it has had some hiccups with the firmware, but nothing like this has appeared on this massive thread ifrc. I still really want to hear one for myself, so I may have to roll the dice and buy one direct and just see where it takes me. 

Dec 12, 2013 at 1:39 AM Post #8,458 of 18,652
  Guys, I'm not trying to derail this thread but I am looking for advice as to how I should incorporate my DX50 into a desktop set up.

My questions are

1) Will a DX50 work as a source with a decent amp and cans or should my source be higher end?

2) Is it acceptable to have the DX50 feeding into a desktop setup through the lineout (thereby relying on the DX50's inbuilt DAC)?

3) Assuming the DX50 does slot into a decent desktop setup without being the weakest link then I am thinking of the following

Ibasso DX50 (FLAC files) > Audioquest Big Sur 3.5mm to RCA cable > Bottlehead Crack or similar > Sennheiser HD700's.

Please comment on whether my idea is sound or royally sucks, it is easy to find info on individual component audio parts but not so easy finding out how which items hook up together well.

I would also love any suggestions as to a desktop setup with the DX50, any combo of amp, cans, cabling would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys.

I just mentioned a couple of days ago in this thread about hooking up my DX50 to my Mjolnir/LCD2 setup for fun. The resulting sound was unexpectedly good and it was an easy setup. However, unless you wanted to use the DX50 as some sort of cabled remote, I don't know how practical the setup would be.

Dec 12, 2013 at 1:39 AM Post #8,459 of 18,652

Dec 12, 2013 at 4:31 AM Post #8,460 of 18,652
I just found out that my girlfriends surprise xmas present is a dx50!
I have to wait for the delivery today and i wont be able to use it until we exchange gifts.....
And i was the one that insisted to exchange gift on sunday!!!!! Grrrrrr

:) uber happy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back