The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Dec 10, 2013 at 4:23 AM Post #8,296 of 18,652
  The price argument does not fit, it's common for a product to be delivered works flawlessly and regardless of price.

If I can not produce the required (usual) a quality product at a certain price, I have to calculate the price new or rethink my business model.

But apparently it has become normal to buy unfinished and to cheer

The price argument fits for me. DX50 plays all the music I choose to load on to it and sounds better than anything I have heard near this price. I don't know what more I want iBasso to fix apart form gapless which is not a deal breaker for this quality and is easily sorted.

iBasso are a relatively small company as most buyers are aware of. The produced a product that plays music files and makes them sound incredible for a price that cannot be matched at the moment in my opinion. Any firmware issues are fixed quickly. 

What exactly can you not do with your DX50 that you would like to do but are unable to? It is afer all only music player.

Maybe you should scrap your business model and statrt listening to your music.

Dec 10, 2013 at 5:28 AM Post #8,297 of 18,652
Could someone please tell me if you can browse via id3 tags Genre>Artist>Album?  This can't be done with the X3, and I'm looking for a player that has this capability.

Also, does the MicroSd card and internal storage merge to create one database, or are they separate?

Thanks for the help.

Z.

Dec 10, 2013 at 6:25 AM Post #8,299 of 18,652
  Could someone please tell me if you can browse via id3 tags Genre>Artist>Album?  This can't be done with the X3, and I'm looking for a player that has this capability.

Also, does the MicroSd card and internal storage merge to create one database, or are they separate?

Thanks for the help.

Z.

You can search via "All Music", Album, Artist, Genre......so for instance you can seach via Genre - Artist - Album or alternatively as I do, Artist - Album - Song.

The Internal memory and SD Card are listed seperately as is an OTG card

Hi, can you also use the dx50 as a dac with your computer like the x3 ??

No this isnt possible and Im not sure that iBasso plan on adding this function at the present time.

Dec 10, 2013 at 6:30 AM Post #8,301 of 18,652
DAC USB feature seems possible, because iBasso informed few users that, they working currently on it:

"Hi,
We are developing the USB-DAC function for the DX50 now.

Sincerely"

iBasso also said that they will bring back old gapless solution :)

Dec 10, 2013 at 6:40 AM Post #8,302 of 18,652
Hi guys! I recently received my 10th batch Ibasso DX50 with Brainwavz R3 from Mp4nation, here's my 2 cents, and sorry for the language errors, i'm not english
redface.gif

First of all, my unit came with 1.25 preloaded, which i have updated to 1.26. It works perfectly, no bug, no freeze, nothing whatsoever: I loaded it with about 20 gb of music (mostly flac, some HD files and some mp3/320) wich i previously have tagged following your indication (artist/album/genre) and my Dx50 the first time took i think 3 minutes to scan them all, then just two seconds at every reboot. All my music appears precisely as i have tagged it, no problem even in this case: so, i can say that firmware 1.26 is pratically perfect in this sense.
wink.gif

But, and that's a big but.... i don't like the sound of this little thing.  I have a Rockboxed Sansa Clip+, a old Cowon D2 and use Vsonic GR02 BE, Hifiman RE-0, Shure SE 530, Brainwavz M2 and M4 (i know, i'm a newbie in this world
frown.gif
) and with all of them the sound of ibasso seems to me distant, harsch,, metallic and almost fatiguing witch certain tracks (rock and metal, mostly). I prefer the sound of Clip+, more warm and fuller, witch more impact and mid-bass (thanks to the beautiful eq) that lacks on Ibasso. It's all too bright, at the point to be artificial and boring. I tried everything with the EQ, which is, as you all know, pratically useless. The positive aspect is that SQ is very detailed and revealing, some instruments like the guitars are beautifully reproduced, but overall i prefer a more natural SQ, with less treble and sparkle everywhere and more bass to "fill" the sound.
So, that's all: it's only my opinion, but i wanted to share it with you. The new firmware is perfect, no problems, but the sound is very particular, and may not satisfy everyone. I really hope in Rockbox now
biggrin.gif
Ah, and the Braiwavz R3 sounds decent, but fit is horrible, i can't find a way to use the damned memory wire...

Dec 10, 2013 at 7:20 AM Post #8,303 of 18,652
If u like warm n more bass try firmware 1.2.3

Dec 10, 2013 at 8:10 AM Post #8,304 of 18,652
Hi guys! I recently received my 10th batch Ibasso DX50 with Brainwavz R3 from Mp4nation, here's my 2 cents, and sorry for the language errors, i'm not english :xf_eek:
First of all, my unit came with 1.25 preloaded, which i have updated to 1.26. It works perfectly, no bug, no freeze, nothing whatsoever: I loaded it with about 20 gb of music (mostly flac, some HD files and some mp3/320) wich i previously have tagged following your indication (artist/album/genre) and my Dx50 the first time took i think 3 minutes to scan them all, then just two seconds at every reboot. All my music appears precisely as i have tagged it, no problem even in this case: so, i can say that firmware 1.26 is pratically perfect in this sense. :wink:

But, and that's a big but.... i don't like the sound of this little thing.  I have a Rockboxed Sansa Clip+, a old Cowon D2 and use Vsonic GR02 BE, Hifiman RE-0, Shure SE 530, Brainwavz M2 and M4 (i know, i'm a newbie in this world :frowning2: ) and with all of them the sound of ibasso seems to me distant, harsch,, metallic and almost fatiguing witch certain tracks (rock and metal, mostly). I prefer the sound of Clip+, more warm and fuller, witch more impact and mid-bass (thanks to the beautiful eq) that lacks on Ibasso. It's all too bright, at the point to be artificial and boring. I tried everything with the EQ, which is, as you all know, pratically useless. The positive aspect is that SQ is very detailed and revealing, some instruments like the guitars are beautifully reproduced, but overall i prefer a more natural SQ, with less treble and sparkle everywhere and more bass to "fill" the sound.

So, that's all: it's only my opinion, but i wanted to share it with you. The new firmware is perfect, no problems, but the sound is very particular, and may not satisfy everyone. I really hope in Rockbox now :D Ah, and the Braiwavz R3 sounds decent, but fit is horrible, i can't find a way to use the damned memory wire...

You may want to give it some time, the first time I turned it on and listened to it I thought the sound was coming from a tin can but changed very drastically after some burn in. I know it's controversial but hey if you are happy after that who cares!

Dec 10, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #8,307 of 18,652
  Any J3 owners care to post a quick comparison?

I've sold both now, however owned them at the same time

DX50 is a clear step up from the J3, and I really liked J3. You'll immediately  notice higher resolution, better detail extension, soundstage width to me was roughly the same, separation also about even (maybe slightly better on DX50). and a really good swing or rhythm to DX50 it has noticeable good PRaT, good forward motion to your music thanks to the DAC section. The UI on J3 I still prefer and the size, it's a wonderful looking unit but won't keep up with the power and internal amp section of DX50. it's just a clear step up you'll notice more bite to vocals better instrument realism and a bigger headstage (the actual size of the presentation) it makes the J3 sound a little toyish to be honest and I wasn't a huge fan of DX50 personally however, it beats the J3. 

Personally though I'd go for the Hisound Studio V, that's were I stayed and loving life. :wink:

Dec 10, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #8,308 of 18,652
You may want to give it some time, the first time I turned it on and listened to it I thought the sound was coming from a tin can but changed very drastically after some burn in. I know it's controversial but hey if you are happy after that who cares!

Hello,
I am one on of those listeners who strongly believe in burn in! How long did it take before you noticed a difference?

Regards
Jeff

Dec 10, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #8,309 of 18,652

The price argument fits for me. DX50 plays all the music I choose to load on to it and sounds better than anything I have heard near this price. I don't know what more I want iBasso to fix apart form gapless which is not a deal breaker for this quality and is easily sorted.

iBasso are a relatively small company as most buyers are aware of. The produced a product that plays music files and makes them sound incredible for a price that cannot be matched at the moment in my opinion. Any firmware issues are fixed quickly. 

What exactly can you not do with your DX50 that you would like to do but are unable to? It is after all only music player.

Maybe you should scrap your business model and statrt listening to your music.

+1

Bottom line: I push play - it plays. In high resolution. I push stop - it stops. I push volume up or down - it adjusts the volume. I push on or off - it obeys. Despite what the consensus is with Apple products, it is abundantly obvious that Apple's excellent UI has spoiled us all!

Dec 10, 2013 at 9:22 AM Post #8,310 of 18,652
Hello,
I am one on of those listeners who strongly believe in burn in! How long did it take before you noticed a difference?

Regards
Jeff

Took me about 5 days of listening to roughly 8 hours a day (~40 hours). Already on day 2 it sounded better. The headphones and iems you use will also make a difference. My best headphones are my Sennheiser HD600, I just can't get anything better. Mind you I don't have expensive headphones so I am sure those would most likely sound better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back