The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Nov 16, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #7,006 of 18,652
That's exactly what I told you to do, hence why I asked if you did a recovery mode factory reset which wipes/reformat the dap file system. I do it every time I upgrade, I never go onto the menu factory reset. After it's done I perform the microSD scan and it's back to ship shape.

Question... Do you leave your MicroSD card in when you do a recovery reset? That's where I've seen the formatting /mnt/sdcard line in the process and why I've always removed the card to avoid wiping it. When I previously recommended removal some shot back saying removal was unnecessary.

Please clarify your experience. I don't have a spare card to try.

Nov 16, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #7,007 of 18,652
Question... Do you leave your MicroSD card in when you do a recovery reset? That's where I've seen the formatting /mnt/sdcard line in the process and why I've always removed the card to avoid wiping it. When I previously recommended removal some shot back saying removal was unnecessary.

FWIW, I took mine out when I did the firmware upgrade through the whole process. I would to have to rescan it anyway, and I didn't want the process to be bogged down by anything other than what was built in the DAP. Just being careful in my case. As others have said, it maybe unncessary, but it didn't take me a few secs to take it out and put it back in for my own peace of mind. YMMV.

Nov 16, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #7,008 of 18,652
FWIW, I took mine out when I did the firmware upgrade through the whole process. I would to have to rescan it anyway, and I didn't want the process to be bogged down by anything other than what was built in the DAP. Just being careful in my case. As others have said, it maybe unncessary, but it didn't take me a few secs to take it out and put it back in for my own peace of mind. YMMV.

Precisely my feelings too. To load a 64gb MicroSD takes longer than a scan by a long way!

Nov 16, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #7,009 of 18,652
I don't think that will work...the TRRS plug is not what is on the DX50 coax cable. The included coax cable has a single mono 3/8" (3.5 mm) miniplug on the DX50 end and a single RCA male on the DAC end. Perhaps I misunderstand what you are attempting to do, but the DX50 cannot function as an outboard DAC from a computer USB port. If you are attempting to use your DX50 as a transport to an external (desktop) DAC, the cable you show will not work. You will need the cable that is included with the DX50 or one like it.

OK thanks.

I want to take the digital out into the inbuilt DAC on my Valve Amplifier and the input required is a mini USB (male B I think). So I either need a 3.5 mm to mini USB or add a cable to the existing DX50 one which I guess would be a female RCA to mini USB.

But both are proving very hard to find.

Nov 16, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #7,010 of 18,652
That is not the type of wire I was describing. The DX50 comes with the wire I described above and it is to be used with a coax in amp or external sound system RCA Coax in. The RCA end is the connector that you plug into the coax in of an amp or the coax in of a sound system. The single mono plug connects to the DX50 coax out line. As HiFlight explained, the DX50 is incapable of DAC connectivity from the micro USB output plug.

Can you describe what you are attempting to do?

I am wanting to use my DX50 (not yet arrived) as a digital source into my valve amplifier and it has a mini USB input into its inbuilt DAC.

But finding a cable is proving tricky !!

Nov 16, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #7,012 of 18,652
With some of you saying the startup scan is only taking 15-30 seconds, I've reloaded 1.2.5, thinking maybe the problem was the trash hidden files Macs insist on placing on anything attached. But even removing those wasn't the solution. Restart scans taking an intolerably long time. Just came back up. Took about 3 minutes. That's too long. At least I have previous working FW to fall back on. Can only think iBasso added the scan at start feature due to requests, but for me it's a retrograde step. Simple enough to remove and reinsert the card to get the scan screen. Better yet make it an option to auto or manual scan like my AK100 did. Starting to miss that little thing......

Edit: Pressing stop scan takes an age to return to the play screen too.

Nov 16, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #7,013 of 18,652

I left my sd card in and all my files are on there.

Nov 16, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #7,014 of 18,652
Jpfe8851 said:

Yes I do leave it in. When it does the factory reset with the wipe/format, it is done on the internal DX50 memory. I never popped the microSD card out during the upgrade and factory reset. I pop it out and in again to get the scan menu going after the full upgrade operations. I usually wait for a good 20 minutes for my 64Gb card to be scanned but the time may vary depending on how much music you have on it.

To summarize:

1. Extract the update.img file onto the DX50 internal memory
2. Select Settings\Advanced\System Update: Are you sure to update system? Click on OK
3. DAP Reboots and starts the update process through the recovery system, once finished it will reboot itself.

Two options to factory reset: (They should yield the same results)
Either through the Settings\Advanced Menu\Factory Reset or
Recovery Mode (Volume + and Power On button simultaneously) Then select Factory Reset with the volume + button and Power On to start it.

Once the factory reset is done; Pop the microSD card out and back in again then select scan and wait until it is done. Presto your DAP is ready for music enjoyment.

I hope this answers your question.

Nov 16, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #7,015 of 18,652
Yes I do leave it in. When it does the factory reset with the wipe/format, it is done on the internal DX50 memory. I never popped the microSD card out during the upgrade and factory reset. I pop it out and in again to get the scan menu going after the full upgrade operations. I usually wait for a good 20 minutes for my 64Gb card to be scanned but the time may vary depending on how much music you have on it.

To summarize:

1. Extract the update.img file onto the DX50 internal memory
2. Select Settings\Advanced\System Update: Are you sure to update system? Click on OK
3. DAP Reboots and starts the update process through the recovery system, once finished it will reboot itself.

Two options to factory reset: (They should yield the same results)
Either through the Settings\Advanced Menu\Factory Reset or
Recovery Mode (Volume + and Power On button simultaneously) Then select Factory Reset with the volume + button and Power On to start it.

Once the factory reset is done; Pop the microSD card out and back in again then select scan and wait until it is done. Presto your DAP is ready for music enjoyment.

I hope this answers your question.

Thanks but I didn't need instructions. I've had my DX since they were released and loaded all firmware. My question related ONLY to the recovery reset done when you use the wipe/reset option after resetting the DAP with power/volume up restart.

So to clarify you even leave your card in the DX when you recovery reset? Essentially saying the process line "formatting /mnt/sdcard" doesn't actually reformat the sdcard? If that is the case what does this process do?

iBasso sure has some incomprehensible and inconsistent stuff in their firmware.

Nov 16, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #7,016 of 18,652
I am wanting to use my DX50 (not yet arrived) as a digital source into my valve amplifier and it has a mini USB input into its inbuilt DAC.

But finding a cable is proving tricky !!

Ah Ok, in a way you have to know what USB pins provide the data + and data - leads versus on the DX50. As I said earlier, the coax in is only a two pin implementation, the sleeve and the tip as opposed to a TRS plug. So the bottom line is the cable implementer needs to be able to solder the appropriate pins of the USB cable to the mono connector. That probably explains why it is hard to find because that seems to be a hard coax in implementation as opposed to an RCA version which is more common.

Nov 16, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #7,017 of 18,652
Thanks but I didn't need instructions. I've had my DX since they were released and loaded all firmware. My question related ONLY to the recovery reset done when you use the wipe/reset option after resetting the DAP with power/volume up restart.

So to clarify you even leave your card in the DX when you recovery reset? Essentially saying the process line "formatting /mnt/sdcard" doesn't actually reformat the sdcard? If that is the case what does this process do?

iBasso sure has some incomprehensible and inconsistent stuff in their firmware.

My understanding of it is it formats the underlying Linux partition  (I assume it is a Linux based system) so that it can be mounted later on after the upgrade process. I assume that it is similar to an iPod but again might be a different implementation. Having said that, it seems to work on the internal memory where the op system code is found. If anyone has a better explanation but all means chip in.

Nov 16, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #7,018 of 18,652
The media scanning time may depend on the number of files on the SD card. I have a 64GB card full of 24-bit/48/96/192 ALAC files. Around 500 indivial files. Initial scanning only takes about 10 minutes and thereafter every startup only 2-3 seconds.

I suppose it you have a mix of different file types, that could add time to scanning. I have not tried this though. I only have ALAC files since day one and have consistent scan times regardless of FW version.

Nov 16, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #7,019 of 18,652
Wonder what you would do if you just want to listen to one CD of an album and nothing more.....

The problem here would be playlist management, which is different from the multi CD tagging "problem" that you mentioned.
Or in other words: Why make things simple when one can make them complicated... And then all these "playlists" get lost each time one updates the firmware or does factory reset. That's really anything but practical... It is indeed very strange that some people insist to deny that this device still has some problems...

Nov 16, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #7,020 of 18,652
Wonder what you would do if you just want to listen to one CD of an album and nothing more.....

The problem here would be playlist management, which is different from the multi CD tagging "problem" that you mentioned.

Absolutely not. You seem not to understand what a multi-cd album is, or why it is sometimes important to have it un-divided... It's however pretty simple. Like a live concert or opera that lasts over several CDs. Then you do not "just want to listen to one cd"... You want your live concert/opera to go on, uninterrupted, and gapless. And having to create "playlists" for this is sub-optimal, to say the least. 
(I am really surprised that we have arguments here about such obvious things... and that several forum users so agressively deny even the very existence of the problem...)

By the way, I noticed on your profile that you have a Bose QC3. How does it sound with the DX50 (without any extra amp)? Am thinking of acquiring a qc3 or qc15 eventually for my dx50, as I am very disappointed with the noise-isolation of my IEMs.
(Background story: I bought the Hifiman RE-400 after reading on a 'head-fi' forum that IEMs give good sound isolation and better SQ than Bose's QC15. But the sound isolation with the RE-400 is far from ok for me. I even just got some Comply T400 yesterday, again following advices from a 'headfi' forum, but that's again very disappointing, not a very good isolation and the SQ is not as good as with the RE-400's own tips.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back