The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Nov 1, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #5,701 of 18,652
Hi all, just got my batch 6 DX50, firmware 1.2.2. Smacked some flac files straight in to it, battery was fully charged on arrival. It works out of the box which no hitches, hangs or glitches (I know that's the worst this to say as it won't work next time) Anyway I am blown away by the detail and clarity of this player. I am using shure 425s and they are beginning to sound great. As I was hearing some much extra detail it takes a little while for your ears to adjust actually. I know this thread is mainly about DX50, iems and amps but when I pair the DX50 directly to my Mackie HR824 active monitors then the sound is truely special. Love the DX50...just music!

+1

Nov 1, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #5,702 of 18,652
  This pouch is really good also. Lovely indeed and now I have 4gigs of flac in there and I'm ready to hit the road. No jacks involved tho at this point.I f

I feel sad.  The included pouch for the first batch fits to tight to the player.  It is pretty useless.

Nov 1, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #5,703 of 18,652
  I feel sad.  The included pouch for the first batch fits to tight to the player.  It is pretty useless.

I'd give you mine, but you could buy about 25 of them from ebay for the cost of sending one from Denmark to the US :)

Nov 1, 2013 at 2:44 PM Post #5,705 of 18,652

Totally useless.  I actually put the DX50 in the bag that came with my TG334 hah and put the TG334 in the pouch that came with the DX50 for now.  Ultimately I'm a big believer in TPU/silicon cases for these type of devices so I'm waiting for the DX50 one to come out....if they're out on taobao they can't be far behind.

Nov 1, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #5,706 of 18,652
Hey ! Anyone Tried dx50 with the Objective2 ? The music doesnt always seem clear and sharp enough for my liking through the dx50 HO with Westone 4 do you think Objective 2 will improve clarity detail etc. ? Will it be only subtle clarity changes or will it be possible to feel the difference right away ? Any opinions about the Combo ? Thanks for any replies ;DD

Nov 1, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #5,707 of 18,652
  I still use my J3 with the BBE EQ setting (BBE Headphone mostly) until the DX50 gets tuned to my liking, even though it got close with the last FW update. I agree the DX50 is clearer and more detailed, but it's still too bright for me, and I haven't gotten much out of it's EQ settings.

I use the Portaphile 627 (or the C&C BH2) and 1964EARS V6-Stage mainly. The J3 with Kizune's UI is excellent. I'm rooting for the DX50 for the record, but I'll take the J3 right now. Flame on.

Can you give a comparison of the DX50 pairing between the BH2 and the Portaphile 627 with your V6?

I am using the BH2 and I am really impressed with the additional slam, sound stage, texturing, and euphoric sound qualities. However, I have been eyeballing the 627 as it is supposed to be an excellent pairing with my Hidition NT6 Pro. Is the 627 worth the significant cost increase or is the BH2 good enough? Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Nov 1, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #5,708 of 18,652
I love the V6-S with the 627. The pair leaves nothing missing for me. They reach deep into all frequencies. The 627 is tube-like, like I prefer. Even with the J3, the combo sounds wonderful.

That being said, I'm truly surprised with the BH2. I get a lot of sound out of that little person. It's a true value. The difference that stands out between it and the 627 is the lower frequencies are not as well defined. The 627 digs deeper and cleaner and the V6-S lets you hear that.

But the difference in price between the 2 amps is a little crazy. I don't really know what to say about that, except that if you handed me $400 to take the BH2, I would smile and laugh. Then go and spend it on more equipment, so whatever.

I will say that size-wise, the 627 fits perfectly with the DX50 and the J3. I use them interchangeably with one ALO Green Line IC, which fits both stacks beautifully. I'll try to get some pictures.

Nov 1, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #5,709 of 18,652
Also, the 627 has a magical soundstage and is very forgiving of inferior music files. All but a few of my collection is FLACs from vinyl transfers, but some CD transfers and other crap sounds much better with the 627. Not as fatiguing. 

Nov 1, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #5,711 of 18,652
Never used a silicone case with any gear I've had. Why cover something so sturdy and why buy something that requires cover from the start? Gotta say I just love this sharp edged beast. Already.

The sound signature will take some learning. I thought it was lacking umph, but now I listen it at home I think it might actually be a pretty congested in mid to low. Bear in mind I compare this to Yulong DA8, WA2 and T1 combo, so I would really be happily surprised if the sound would match my desktop set:D Burn in time!

Nov 1, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #5,712 of 18,652
EQ helps, had it turned off, but just turning it on without alteration helps the congestion.

Nov 1, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #5,714 of 18,652
  Hey ! Anyone Tried dx50 with the Objective2 ? The music doesnt always seem clear and sharp enough for my liking through the dx50 HO with Westone 4 do you think Objective 2 will improve clarity detail etc. ? Will it be only subtle clarity changes or will it be possible to feel the difference right away ? Any opinions about the Combo ? Thanks for any replies ;DD

A very good improvement.  O2 pairs great with the DX50 from what I listened to with the HD650.  I'm sure it'd be the same with your Westone.

Nov 1, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #5,715 of 18,652
  I thought there was another firmware update coming today? Is there done due or not?

They want to make sure it is as clean and bug free as possible, which understandable. I would prefer to wait than to rush it even if they said it would be out today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back