The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Sep 8, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #511 of 18,652
I'm looking forward to comparisons between the DX50 and M8, with regards to their ability to drive CIEMs.

Sep 8, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #513 of 18,652
I have finally heard the DX50 here in Singapore at a mini local audio meet.

And I have to say, DX50, in term of its SQ, in comparison to Fiio's X3, the DX50 is either 1 or 2 notches above the X3.

DX50 to me has a better staging and imaging effect and its vocal range has plenty of musical layering to discuss about.
Also, X3 to me, has a brighter sound as it approaches its vocal range to the highs, but the DX50 is much more linear and neutral sounding.

The DX50 also surpasses X3 in micro-detail retrieval, instrument seperation, and has a deeper depth and "wideness/width".

Sep 8, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #514 of 18,652
Yes please lucky owners, impressions and comparisons! Looks like the strong contenders are Fiio X3, modded Ipod 5G, AK100 (and DX100?)

Sep 9, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #515 of 18,652
  I have finally heard the DX50 here in Singapore at a mini local audio meet.

And I have to say, DX50, in term of its SQ, in comparison to Fiio's X3, the DX50 is either 1 or 2 notches above the X3.

DX50 to me has a better staging and imaging effect and its vocal range has plenty of musical layering to discuss about.
Also, X3 to me, has a brighter sound as it approaches its vocal range to the highs, but the DX50 is much more linear and neutral sounding.

The DX50 also surpasses X3 in micro-detail retrieval, instrument seperation, and has a deeper depth and "wideness/width".

How does it compare to your AK100?

Sep 9, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #516 of 18,652
  Yes please lucky owners, impressions and comparisons! Looks like the strong contenders are Fiio X3, modded Ipod 5G, AK100 (and DX100?)

Here's another short comparison between my AK100 and DX50. *

first of all, to me, the AK100 beats DX50.
If you're asking me why, this may be a little bias but the synergy between my Merlin and AK100 is far too good, so probably that the DX50 did not synergise as well as the AK100.

But what i found on DX50 is that, in terms of staging and imaging, AK100 is slightly bigger/wider and the imaging is much more precise to where the instruments are placed in a real setting. And how the the DX50 is presented a little bit less wide in staging and imaging sounds as if it is on a fixed template; almost any track you play on it, it always have the same imaging. So to me, this is a little too boring and lacked the versatility of how the actual track is supposed to be presented.

Next to layering of your music. The AK100's layering covers the entire frequency spectrum, from 10Hz to 20kHz, but however, there is a limitation to the "number" of layering the AK100 can present to it's users, in each respective ranges (sub low, low, mid low, mid, mid high, highs)
And as for the DX50, though it lacked the layering throughout the freq spectrum like the AK100, but it has plenty of layering, especially within the vocal range. this is where the DX50 really shine. Like i said in my earlier post, there's so much to discuss about the layering. And what I have heard within the layers is a rich musicality that carries along with the vocals, which is something that i have never heard of (probably due to the lack of experience as compared to the rest of the more well-known head-fiers). It was a special moment for me and i felt that DX50 could complement with my AK100. *to some people who wants a "quantifiable" layering, a simple example would be that the AK100 has 10 layers in vocal range, but the DX50 has probably has a range of 15~30 layering within vocal range*

Spatial depth to me, is a subset of imaging. And DX50 is deeper than the X3 but not as deep as AK100, and no, i'm not saying that the DX50 is exactly between X3 and AK100. Rather, i would say on a scale of 1 to 9, if 1 would be X3 and 9 would be AK100, DX50 lies at maybe 4~7 on the scale.

*Do also note that DX50 is in it's firmware infancy and of cause iBasso would (hopefully and eagerly waiting) eventually release newer firmware to rectify the glitches and bugs users are facing at the moment. And as far as some of us may know, firmware versions of AK100 and iBasso changes the sound signature slightly as to the different versions of firmware.

So in conclusion, DX50 is caged up at the moment, wait till iBasso or some one with a modded firmware, comes with the special key to unleash the beast. heheehehheehe.

Sep 9, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #517 of 18,652
Yes, the X3, AK100, DX100 and the iMod 5G's get mentioned a lot here, but the iMod comparison doesn't really make sense to me.

I mean, all it is an iPod with better output caps. Sure, you've liberated the Wolfson chip to its potential, but it is just a low-power codec designed for portable devices, while the 8740 in the DX50 was until recently a flagship chip designed for high-end use. Without trying to sound unpleasant, is it even possible to consider the iMod as a serious competitor? 

Sep 9, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #519 of 18,652

Thanks for your impressions! May I put it on the OP? Also out of curiosity, how many hours do you have on the DX50? 
beerchug.gif

Sep 9, 2013 at 12:41 AM Post #520 of 18,652

Thanks for your impressions! May I put it on the OP? Also out of curiosity, how many hours do you have on the DX50? 
beerchug.gif

What's OP? >.<

and i only have about 30mins of its time before passing it to another individual who waited for quite some time; there were plenty of people waiting to try the DX50 haha!

Sep 9, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #521 of 18,652

What's OP? >.<

and i only have about 30mins of its time before passing it to another individual who waited for quite some time; there were plenty of people waiting to try the DX50 haha!

The original post. I'm wondering how many hours were on that DX50 so people who believe in burn in could have a reference.

Sep 9, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #522 of 18,652

The original post. I'm wondering how many hours were on that DX50 so people who believe in burn in could have a reference.

Sure, im fine with you putting it up on OP.

And I can't give a definite answer to how many hours were there on the DX50 because it does not belong to me, but im guessing probably 3 hours plus minus.

Sep 9, 2013 at 1:23 AM Post #523 of 18,652
just email iBasso regarding the play all in all music and here is the reply~

Hi,
We will consider to add this feature in the next update.

Sincerely
cleardot.gif

iBasso Audio

2013/9/9 doki81
Hi iBasso support,  
is there a function for play all? if yes, how can we do that?

even fiio x3 has this function where all songs inside the player can be play..i feel quite disappointed with this features not available on DX50.

On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 12:20 PM, iBasso Audio <service@ibasso.com> wrote:
Hi,
Thank you for your email.
The DX50 has the NOW PLAYING.  please see what songs you have under NOW PLAYING.  If you choose a song from ALL MUSIC, only the sellected song would be added into the NOW PLAYING. 

Sincerely
iBasso Audio

2013/9/9 doki81  
Hi IBasso Audio,  
would like to report a bug. in all music....the shuffle play is not working. only a few songs can play and the rest cant be play. i have 1082 tracks but the dx50 only play for few tracks. if i play from album, i have no such issues.

i have clean up all my track with mp3tag and remove ID3V2 and save only in ID3V1. but issues still happen.

Sep 9, 2013 at 1:25 AM Post #524 of 18,652
  just email iBasso regarding the play all in all music and here is the reply~

Ok are you able to do a long press on the main tab to play all music? This was an ability on the DX100 and might be what you need to get all tracks to show up in the "now playing" list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back