The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Sep 8, 2013 at 9:15 AM Post #466 of 18,652
Turns out mine should've arrived yesterday. Emailed iBasso late last night asking if it had been shipped. Received a tracking code. When I looked it up, apparently they'd tried to deliver yesterday but couldn't reach me. Grrr. Hopefully they'll attempt to deliver again tomorrow.

Sep 8, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #467 of 18,652
Thanks! Now, will this store also have to wait on the slow customs? Like, when will they have this player in stock, this week, or more like next month? 
I also sent them an email, but I guess I will just buy it from them anyway. The extra warranty is really nice.  

It certainly is expensive, but considering the import taxes customs give me, it's about the same price. From what country are you, if I may ask? :D

I assume they will have it on stock this week. They are a bit slow with responsing to emails so be patient :wink:
I'll drop them an email tomorrow and ask about the situation.

I'm from Germany and I don't think I have to tell you how stupidly high the custom taxes are here...it's just sad.

Sep 8, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #468 of 18,652
I assume they will have it on stock this week. They are a bit slow with responsing to emails so be patient :wink:
I'll drop them an email tomorrow and ask about the situation.

I'm from Germany and I don't think I have to tell you how stupidly high the custom taxes are here...it's just sad.

Yes, I know that feel. 

Please let me know if you get any useful information back from them.

Sep 8, 2013 at 9:26 AM Post #470 of 18,652
Let me just tell you a short story about Dutch customs: They are my arch enemy, the end.

Trust me, they usually hold on to a package for about a month, and they will add about 40% to the price :$
I got lucky once, with a package from North Korea, and it was here within a week strangely enough. Still had to pay about €90 additional on a $220 package. 
iBasso may be...arranging.

Sep 8, 2013 at 9:54 AM Post #471 of 18,652

Since today is Sunday I did comparisons to see which iem have the best synergy:

1. For DX50, I have decided that Heir 5.0 and Fitear Parterre to be the best. When paring with 5.0, the soundstage opens up.. real soundstage and not merely airy feeling... However, not so good to listen in noisy environment... Parterre is perfect for classical orchestra type music, today I listen to Mahler No. 3, the detail retrieval capability of this 239 usd DAP is very very good... These iem put you in the best spot of a concert hall..

2. For modded X3, I have concluded that ASG-2 to be good fit... When listening to the same Mahler, the warm signature makes you sit on the front row in the concert hall i.e. more in your face type sound ... also, my personal experience with ASG-2 when using DX50 is that the bass drums or bass overshadow the whole piece and becomes unlistenable... (I know this is against the popular belief in this forum)...  I am waiting for trrs cable to pair ASG-2 with 901 , if the synergy is low, I will seriously consider selling this pair... In my books, they are not well rounded iem...  Another interesting fact is that a modded X3 and DX50 are around the same in terms of clarity but each has its own sound signature....  (but remember the price I paid for the mod...
frown.gif
)

3. For 901, TG334 is the answer. Excellent iem for excellent SQ DAP (SQ only ,the design and look are really bad.... the spin wheel makes you feel like you are driving a bus/truck...this is the amount of effort to find an album to listen to.... I am very easy going in terms of usability, but the side switches and spin wheel just drive me nuts ).  When putting DX50 and 901 side by side, it is the poster of  "Beauty and the Beast - Chinese DAP edition".

Sep 8, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #473 of 18,652

1. For DX50, I have decided that Heir 5.0 and Fitear Parterre to be the best. When paring with 5.0, the soundstage opens up.. real soundstage and not merely airy feeling... However, not so good to listen in noisy environment... Parterre is perfect for classical orchestra type music, today I listen to Mahler No. 3, the detail retrieval capability of this 239 usd DAP is very very good... These iem put you in the best spot of a concert hall..

2. For modded X3, I have concluded that ASG-2 to be good fit... When listening to the same Mahler, the warm signature makes you sit on the front row in the concert hall i.e. more in your face type sound ... also, my personal experience with ASG-2 when using DX50 is that the bass drums or bass overshadow the whole piece and becomes unlistenable... (I know this is against the popular belief in this forum)...  I am waiting for trrs cable to pair ASG-2 with 901 , if the synergy is low, I will seriously consider selling this pair... In my books, they are not well rounded iem...  Another interesting fact is that a modded X3 and DX50 are around the same in terms of clarity but each has its own sound signature....  (but remember the price I paid for the mod... :frowning2: )

3. For 901, TG334 is the answer. Excellent iem for excellent SQ DAP (SQ only ,the design and look are really bad.... the spin wheel makes you feel like you are driving a bus/truck...this is the amount of effort to find an album to listen to.... I am very easy going in terms of usability, but the side switches and spin wheel just drive me nuts ).  When putting DX50 and 901 side by side, it is the poster of  "Beauty and the Beast - Chinese DAP edition".

Thank you very much for that comparison! It was much needed here! :D

If you may, which one do you prefer more? The DX50 or your modded X3?

Sep 8, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #474 of 18,652
  Could you maybe elaborate on those differences in signature later on?

sure.... I could be wrong but I am sure there are more experienced head-fier to correct me...

mod x3 bass and treble are more prominent... i.e. more exciting when u want to hear the horn goes absolutely batsxxt crazy... like free jazz, late coltrane or albery ayler where you dont really care so much about SQ but let it flowwwww....
Dx50 is more balanced and neutral like sitting in a very controlled environment, introspective like Bill Evans piano solo...

Another interesting fact about DX50 is that even for the same pair of IEM, please remember to adjust the gain setting when listening to different albums (some are better to set it as High while others are not... )

Please take my opinion with truckload of salt bcos I am really no audiophile... I have just picked up this hobby so to quickly enhance listening experience...

Sep 8, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #475 of 18,652

2. For modded X3, I have concluded that ASG-2 to be good fit... When listening to the same Mahler, the warm signature makes you sit on the front row in the concert hall i.e. more in your face type sound ... also, my personal experience with ASG-2 when using DX50 is that the bass drums or bass overshadow the whole piece and becomes unlistenable... (I know this is against the popular belief in this forum)...  I am waiting for trrs cable to pair ASG-2 with 901 , if the synergy is low, I will seriously consider selling this pair... In my books, they are not well rounded iem...  Another interesting fact is that a modded X3 and DX50 are around the same in terms of clarity but each has its own sound signature....  (but remember the price I paid for the mod...
frown.gif
)

You sir also have an excellent taste in music. May I ask which movement of Mahler 3 you used to audition? 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 8, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #476 of 18,652
  sure.... I could be wrong but I am sure there are more experienced head-fier to correct me...

mod x3 bass and treble are more prominent... i.e. more exciting when u want to hear the horn goes absolutely batsxxt crazy... like free jazz, late coltrane or albery ayler where you dont really care so much about SQ but let it flowwwww....
Dx50 is more balanced and neutral like sitting in a very controlled environment, introspective like Bill Evans piano solo...

Another interesting fact about DX50 is that even for the same pair of IEM, please remember to adjust the gain setting when listening to different albums (some are better to set it as High while others are not... )

Please take my opinion with truckload of salt bcos I am really no audiophile... I have just picked up this hobby so to quickly enhance listening experience...

Can you tell us how much DX50 behind DX100 in term of Sound Quality?

Sep 8, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #477 of 18,652

You sir also have an excellent taste in music. May I ask which movement of Mahler 3 you used to audition? 
smily_headphones1.gif

Esa-Pekka Salonen conducted the  Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra ...

1st and 2nd .... unfortunately the cue files dont work! Each time requires listen from start to finish on each DAP (really time consuming)... but the orchestral march section could make the Parterre shine....

I hope the firmware gets fixed real soon...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back