The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Oct 18, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #4,276 of 18,652
  After trying for 2 days now to copy some music onto my microSD card (SanDisk Ultra 64GB Micro SDXC) I have come to the conclusion that the card must be broken, although it worked fine before in my SGS3.
Now before I randomly buy an new one: which 64GB card can you recommend out of experience to work flawlessly with the DX50?

Thanks!

Worked or still works? It could be that you need to give a name to the SD-card. And is it formatted in fat32? I'm not sure what formats the DX50 accepts, but fat32 definitely works. 

I didn't know sd cards could actually break, so that's why I'm asking :)

Oct 18, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #4,277 of 18,652
  thank you for translating the posts. Well, some ppl perceive the changes of sound as improvement, probably it is actually worse? It is just too subjective. I think the most convincing and most sense making of mods are always from RedWineAudio which they only do bypassing and modding only whatever necessary for the purest audio signal possible?

all dacs and op amps colour sound in their own way, there really is no better or worse, as long as implementation is good and quality of the chips good, then there is just different sounding setups. Changing the op amps is a great way to change the sound signature, and only trial and error will lead to a setup you personally enjoy as there are many different op amps which have different sound characteristics.

Oct 18, 2013 at 9:37 AM Post #4,281 of 18,652
I'm so glad that I've fixed the Vol Up button which I've complained earlier on that it does not click in properly as the other buttons do! I've fixed it! I've even made all buttons completely gap free, or should I say all buttons are now clicking in without any tiny bit of "loose movement" (sorry for the poor English, I can't think of a better way to describe it :D)  I've posted the photos, and when looked carefully, I've added each button a tiny cut of double side tapes which completely close the gap in between. But the Vol Up was no luck at 1st by adding the double sided tape as the other buttons did. I was so disappointed at 1st finding out that the Vol Up button was not in good quality and it needs a slight angle to click in. After trial and error of solutions, I've tried by adding different card papers from different thin card boards and name cards, and finally I found a perfect thickness for it to work!!! It is now clicking in as well as other buttons. I do not have to take the trouble to return to iBasso for a fix! I hope the button is not defective and last for a long time though :frowning2:

opening up the DX50 is not easy, I gave up for the 1st time to avoid damaging or dinging the player, but until today, I found this tear down post and I studied the picture very carefully and I manage to open up the DX50 very carefully but without much difficulty at all! Here is the link: http://p.twipple.jp/ATm9a. It needs an iPod plastic opening tool to work with the clip on plastic cover, that's all this need to be careful. Also, there is a warranty void sticker of covering one of the screw which fastening the board! It took only some common sense and patience to open up the whole thing :D

Oops, btw, I've forgotten to capture the photo after added in the double sided tape and the card board :)

Oct 18, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #4,282 of 18,652
I'm so glad that I've fixed the Vol Up button which I've complained earlier on that it does not click in properly as the other buttons do! I've fixed it! I've even made all buttons completely gap free, or should I say all buttons are now clicking in without any tiny bit of "loose movement" (sorry for the poor English, I can't think of a better way to describe it :D)  I've posted the photos, and when looked carefully, I've added each button a tiny cut of double side tapes which completely close the gap in between. But the Vol Up was no luck at 1st by adding the double sided tape as the other buttons did. I was so disappointed at 1st finding out that the Vol Up button was not in good quality and it needs a slight angle to click in. After trial and error of solutions, I've tried by adding different card papers from different thin card boards and name cards, and finally I found a perfect thickness for it to work!!! It is now clicking in as well as other buttons. I do not have to take the trouble to return to iBasso for a fix! I hope the button is not defective and last for a long time though :frowning2:

opening up the DX50 is not easy, I gave up for the 1st time to avoid damaging or dinging the player, but until today, I found this tear down post and I studied the picture very carefully and I manage to open up the DX50 very carefully but without much difficulty at all! Here is the link: http://p.twipple.jp/ATm9a. It needs an iPod plastic opening tool to work with the clip on plastic cover, that's all this need to be careful. Also, there is a warranty void sticker of covering one of the screw which fastening the board! It took only some common sense and patience to open up the whole thing :D

Oops, btw, I've forgotten to capture the photo after added in the double sided tape and the card board :)

I have done the same, first time I stopped then used one of my favorite opening tools and cracked it opened without damage. I have to say it was fun. :)

While you are at it take the tape of the caps to show them :wink:

Oct 18, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #4,283 of 18,652
After trying for 2 days now to copy some music onto my microSD card (SanDisk Ultra 64GB Micro SDXC) I have come to the conclusion that the card must be broken, although it worked fine before in my SGS3. Now before I randomly buy an new one: which 64GB card can you recommend out of experience to work flawlessly with the DX50?
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Vidmaven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's the card I use exclusively and have no issues. Have you tried reformatting? Tried the card in another device? How are you transferring the data?

pOOB73.  That is the card I use as well.  I think I remember reading somewhere that the Samsung GS3 likes to do something proprietary to the card.  I don't remember where I read that, but it was either this thread, the dx50 bug thread, or the Android phone with USB DAC thred.  When I bought my 64G, the Sandisk went directly for use with the dx50.  So I echo Vidmaven.  Try it again the S3.  If it still works in there, then it may be a samsung format thing.

Oct 18, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #4,284 of 18,652
  Appologies if this has been covered elsewhere in this thread......I have a question with regards to album artwork on the DX50.

I cant see album art When I look at Artist, Albums or Tracks........is this right or is it down to the way I have the album art tagged????

If you look at the photos of the DX50 screenshots on the iBasso page it does show a list of albums which have artwork next to them...just curios.

From the "My Music" screen, if you select "Album," you should see the album art. 

That is what you're seeing on the site, and the only place where it displays (other than the now playing home screen, of course). Earlier in this thread, or in the bug thread, don't remember which, the iBasso rep on the forum indicated that this is intended functionality to speed up browsing. 

Oct 18, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #4,285 of 18,652

From the "My Music" screen, if you select "Album," you should see the album art. 

That is what you're seeing on the site, and the only place where it displays (other than the now playing home screen, of course). Earlier in this thread, or in the bug thread, don't remember which, the iBasso rep on the forum indicated that this is intended functionality to speed up browsing. 

Thanks a lot for that...I wondered if that was the case with regards to accessing via the Directory option......to be honest until you just mentioned it I didnt realise that there were more options further down (including Album).

When I now scroll down and click album.....Yes, it shows the album art.

At least I now know that everything is showing as it should and my tags are obviously OK 
bigsmile_face.gif

Oct 18, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #4,286 of 18,652
Thanks a lot for that...I wondered if that was the case with regards to accessing via the Directory option......to be honest until you just mentioned it I didnt realise that there were more options further down (including Album).

When I now scroll down and click album.....Yes, it shows the album art.

At least I now know that everything is showing as it should and my tags are obviously OK :bigsmile_face:

FWIW that is the same for the iBasso DX100 also. Album art doesn't display in Directory navigation at any level including track. This is logical because the device reads the artwork from metadata tags not the files. And it's not until it loads the track that it can display the art.

OTOH, the scan process reads the tags and creates a database of album artwork for use by the "Album" navigation options.

My 2 cents...

Oct 18, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #4,287 of 18,652
I have done the same, first time I stopped then used one of my favorite opening tools and cracked it opened without damage. I have to say it was fun.
smily_headphones1.gif

While you are at it take the tape of the caps to show them
wink.gif

I should have taken the photo and email it to iBasso and tell them, "hey, this is the way to make the DX50 perfectly made"
deadhorse.gif

Oct 18, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #4,289 of 18,652
quick question, is DX50 able to read cue for flac files?

Oct 18, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #4,290 of 18,652
FWIW that is the same for the iBasso DX100 also. Album art doesn't display in Directory navigation at any level including track. This is logical because the device reads the artwork from metadata tags not the files. And it's not until it loads the track that it can display the art.

OTOH, the scan process reads the tags and creates a database of album artwork for use by the "Album" navigation options.

My 2 cents...

That actually makes sense I suppose when you think about it....If I remember correctly the AK120 didnt display album art until you actually played the album.

I'm not that bothered, as it really isnt that essential, but just wanted to check that it wasnt a tag issue on my part.....which it obviously isnt 
bigsmile_face.gif

Just on another note....I have now had about 9 or 10 hours with the DX50 over the last couple of days and I must say  I think the firmware is pretty stable (I've upgraded to 1.2.0).....I've personally had no problems with tracks or albums being displayed or not played.....it hasnt crashed or hung on me and seems pretty slick. At the moment if I had to critique anything with it...I would say the touch screen is a little too sensitive and its very easy when scrolling through artists to accidently enter the albums section....when you then click back you have to start from Bloody "A" again!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back