The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Oct 7, 2013 at 4:54 AM Post #3,541 of 18,652
  Just a simple question to those who own both the DX50 and the DX100:
Is sound improvement of the DX100 compared to the DX50 really worth the extra - in my case 440GBP ($707)?
I'm not tying to drive large headphones, just CIEMs - Heir Audio 8.A.
Does the DX50 do them justice? Are the differences worth that kind of money?
It's not about the money, I can afford the DX100,
I just don't like to pay money for - potentially - almost nothing.:wink:

With the 8.A, I'd say go for the DX50. Then, if you find yourself lusting for a better soundstage, decide if you want that slight soundstage improvement for £440.

Oct 7, 2013 at 6:12 AM Post #3,546 of 18,652
Am I the only one here with a faulty battery life indicator? It refuses to go below half-empty.
Sucks a bit if you pick up your DAP in the morning, thinking that it has enough juice for the rest of the day and just when you enter the bus, the music stops playing.

Oct 7, 2013 at 7:05 AM Post #3,547 of 18,652
Am I the only one here with a faulty battery life indicator? It refuses to go below half-empty.
Sucks a bit if you pick up your DAP in the morning, thinking that it has enough juice for the rest of the day and just when you enter the bus, the music stops playing.

Same, they promised a better indicator soon. If you look on their website, that one shows percentages which is what I think is coming up.

Oct 7, 2013 at 7:09 AM Post #3,548 of 18,652

The DAC on the DX100 is clearly superior. 

Agreed. But with IEMs playing straight from the DAP, the audible differences amount to pretty much an improvement in soundstage and imaging. 

If in doubt; pick up the DX50. 

Oct 7, 2013 at 7:19 AM Post #3,549 of 18,652

Agreed. But with IEMs playing straight from the DAP, the audible differences amount to pretty much an improvement in soundstage and imaging. 

If in doubt; pick up the DX50. 

+1
If you don't like it you can sell it for a minor loss. 

Oct 7, 2013 at 8:05 AM Post #3,550 of 18,652

i'm on 1.2 and the battery indicator has gone all the way down for me and back to full after charging

Oct 7, 2013 at 8:36 AM Post #3,552 of 18,652

same with me on the battery indicator 

Oct 7, 2013 at 8:40 AM Post #3,553 of 18,652
So i bought one of these after a couple of private conversations over sound quality vs the Studio V 3rd Anniversary. There were also a few posts here i regarded with suspicion saying that the DX50 stomped the Studio but i wanted to find out... I have often read statements like "we all here things differently"  but to me.. The DX50 does NOT sound as good as the Studio V 3rd.. The Studio has more air, more space around instruments, better bass and i think better treble as well. Listening to almost any genre the Studio is better and is much better with Electonic beat driven music. Anything rythmic sound more infectious on the little gold brick.

I gave my DX50 away to my sister's husband.. I was hopeful of finding a new small form factor DAP with a sound upgrade... This is NOT it...  The only area where there was an improvement was in background noise but not enough to make me get rid of the Studio since in SQ terms alone the Studio V 3rd is the winner.   I am using Fitear F111s at the moment...  The DX50  had more than a weeks daily use and when not being listened to had music running through it, So yes it was burned in.. After a weeks use going back to the Studio made me realize what a fabulous little unit it is and all new shiny things are not necessarily better... If you own a Studio V 3rd and are thinking to buy one of these as an upgrade ..Don't, as it is merely a move slightly backwards to the left or right....  Also just be clear... i don't give a fig about slick UIs and such... I only ever listen to WAVs and always to complete albums so arguments over such things are wasted on me.. i only care about the sound and the enjoyment it brings.

My opinion, but an alternate one to others i have seen. It should also be mentioned that i did not pay full retail for the Studio V 3rd when i got it..

Oct 7, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #3,554 of 18,652
Oct 7, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #3,555 of 18,652
  So i bought one of these after a couple of private conversations over sound quality vs the Studio V 3rd Anniversary. There were also a few posts here i regarded with suspicion saying that the DX50 stomped the Studio but i wanted to find out... I have often read statements like "we all here things differently"  but to me.. The DX50 does NOT sound as good as the Studio V 3rd.. The Studio has more air, more space around instruments, better bass and i think better treble as well. Listening to almost any genre the Studio is better and is much better with Electonic beat driven music. Anything rythmic sound more infectious on the little gold brick.

I gave my DX50 away to my sister's husband.. I was hopeful of finding a new small form factor DAP with a sound upgrade... This is NOT it...  The only area where there was an improvement was in background noise but not enough to make me get rid of the Studio since in SQ terms alone the Studio V 3rd is the winner.   I am using Fitear F111s at the moment...  The DX50  had more than a weeks daily use and when not being listened to had music running through it, So yes it was burned in.. After a weeks use going back to the Studio made me realize what a fabulous little unit it is and all new shiny things are not necessarily better... If you own a Studio V 3rd and are thinking to buy one of these as an upgrade ..Don't, as it is merely a move slightly backwards to the left or right....  Also just be clear... i don't give a fig about slick UIs and such... I only ever listen to WAVs and always to complete albums so arguments over such things are wasted on me.. i only care about the sound and the enjoyment it brings.

My opinion, but an alternate one to others i have seen. It should also be mentioned that i did not pay full retail for the Studio V 3rd when i got it..

probably due to its amp section that does not really cope very well to sensitive iems? The DX50 was claimed having close to 0 output impedance, yet, I've already seeing 2 reviews which claimed that it is not and DX50 does not match really well with very sensitive multi armature iems. Probably it is due to this? I'm getting the DX50 purely as a line out device with my Meier Audio Quickstep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back