The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Oct 5, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #3,496 of 18,652

Clever setup, that's what I call a frugal audiophile.
k701smile.gif

I was thinking of doing the same thing and use my old over sized iPhone 4 case but the DX50 is just too thick, I am hoping to get a case at one point, so tired of using an old iPod Video silicon case that is still a little too small. I am keeping my eyes opened for an unusual one.

Thanks, but it wasn't so much about being frugal as finding what was available before I got the DX-50 all scratched up! It is OK from a utility viewpoint, easily available (they must have had about 15 of them on the rack, and their website says there are 280+ stores, so it shouldn't be too hard to find one) and, as you say, cheap. Cheap enough that if you need to cut holes to optimise it for the player, who cares?
wink.gif

If someone comes out with a slick case specifically for the DX-50, I'd still be on it...

Kevin

Oct 5, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #3,497 of 18,652
Hi I just sold my Colorfly c3 because I wasn't quite satisfied with the sound quality. Something about the vocals just didn't sound right. Would the dx50 be quite an upgrade to the c3? I really want vocals to sound natural.

Oct 5, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #3,498 of 18,652
Is the DX50 sufficient to drive these? :blink:

TH900 is very sensitive for a full size and is not hard to drive at all. It also drive to good volume for less efficient cans like LCD3.

Oct 5, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #3,499 of 18,652

That's what I did, I wanted to use the DX50 with the D12 in coax mode (a desktop like setting). The D12 has two gain settings, I don't know about driving the ones you mentioned but I can drive the HD600 with no problem. Here is how I grade the SQ from better to worst:
DX50 Coax Out -> D12 Coax In
DX50
DX50 LO -> D12 LI
Some how when connected through the D12 LI I did not feel an improvement, the DX50 alone was better. From the Coax though it was the reverse, I felt the combination more detailed at all frequency levels, specially the mids.

Note that for the level I listen to, the DX50 can drive the HD600 by itself. I am happy leaving it at 230 for my listening comfort. The other advantage of using the D12 is the USB connectivity which SQ is as good as the coax setup above.

cool now im sold. really appreciate it man!

Oct 6, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #3,500 of 18,652
  Right.  Mine is batch 4.  I paid for it on 18 Sep 2013.  

Mine got to Cincinnati a few hours ago.  Maybe I will see it on Monday or Tuesday.  

So, 10 or 11 days to get mine while everyone else has had theirs for a week.  We all paid the same price for shipping and mine still isn't here.

Actually I am going to email them next and ask for a partial refund on my shipping charges.  I paid the same $22.00 shipping as everyone else and mine still isn't here.

The rest just got lucky and received it earlier...

Oct 6, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #3,501 of 18,652
I really hope someone makes a proper case for the dx50. I have some hodgepodge cockamamie case set up now.
tongue.gif

The DX50  is such a beautiful device, why cover it up? You wouldn't drive a posh car around with a cover, or will you? (=

Furthermore, the DX50 does come with a very good pouch which is enough to keep it from scratching.

Oct 6, 2013 at 3:05 AM Post #3,502 of 18,652
The DX50 does very well with my Audioengine A2s that I just got. Nice solid sound.
Not sure why everyone is complaining the A2 has no bass??

Cause the A2 seriously lacks bass compared to proper sized speakers or 2.1 systems. I would have got some Swan D1080 MK IV if I was you. They pack seriously good sound, better than I have heard from any headphone twice their price, which is rare for a full sized monitor that costs $200.

Oct 6, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #3,505 of 18,652
Cause the A2 seriously lacks bass compared to proper sized speakers or 2.1 systems. I would have got some Swan D1080 MK IV if I was you. They pack seriously good sound, better than I have heard from any headphone twice their price, which is rare for a full sized monitor that costs $200.

Swans seems to be making really really good speakers at an affordable price. I'm looking at their M200MKIII at the moment <3

Oct 6, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #3,506 of 18,652

I personally prefer the a2, over a5s as well. It's just one of those things that just sound right and out reaches is price point. Bass is limited but better than one would expect, 
http://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/1207ae/index.html

Oct 6, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #3,507 of 18,652
For those who have requested that iBasso include scrolling for long titles on the home page, it is already there. Just put a finger on the title and drag it to the left and the remainder of the title will scroll into view.
IMO, this is better than always having a moving scroll in view.

Oct 6, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #3,508 of 18,652
Lovely!  I'm loving this combo a lot!

A big +1 on the Aurisonics! I also find that my Aurisonics 1S pairs very nicely with the DX50.

Oct 6, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #3,509 of 18,652
For those who have requested that iBasso include scrolling for long titles on the home page, it is already there. Just put a finger on the title and drag it to the left and the remainder of the title will scroll into view.
IMO, this is better than always having a moving scroll in view.

nice find! and agree with that it is better than having something scrolling

Users who are viewing this thread

Back