The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.9.5 - June 30, 2016
Sep 19, 2013 at 6:56 AM Post #2,102 of 18,652
I find the midrange detail extension on DX50  on par if not surpassing Studio V, especially noticeable with vocals and instruments, DX50 edges out on clarity there's no denying it can compete on such a level. The only thing it might miss out on against the Studio is a touch of air in the upper mid range and some soundstage width, but in saying that I'm finding the DX50 expressing my albums in a new light, there are albums that sounded rather mediocre on Studio V which play terrifically on the iBasso. It's almost like DX50's just more versatile to a wider range of music. and it has good rhythm to boot along with those detailing levels. I've heard stronger instrument separation however DX50 is far above average on that area too. It's a tough call, because another thing DX50's doing is synergizing well with most of my IEM's and headphones, something that was hit and miss on the Studio V. This all from the headphone out mind you using either low or medium gain, 

Sep 19, 2013 at 7:26 AM Post #2,103 of 18,652
My mission for today: A/B testing!

Did I mention that the screen on the DX50 beats the one on the DX100 by a country mile?

Sep 19, 2013 at 7:59 AM Post #2,105 of 18,652
  Am I the only one who would like the screen to come on when you push the buttons?

Which buttons?

Occasionally on mine, even pushing the power button fails to turn on the screen....or it illuminates slightly so you can see the edges of the glass glowing but the screen is black - I dont know if its doing something and I need to to wait for it to respond...but I have tended to hold the power button until it goes off and then power it on again.
This I would like fixed or iBasso to explain what is going on and whether I just need to be patient?

The other buttons - I prefer the screen not to come on.

Sep 19, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #2,106 of 18,652
Finaly arrived.

adlIaVij.jpg

Sep 19, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #2,110 of 18,652
i deleted 2 folders: album_img and LOST.DIR and tried the update twice - no go, update failed. not getting invalid image tho. seems like its updating then just fails. I also did a factory reset before trying.

Do not delete either file from the internal drive. Just drag the update file to the internal drive, safely remove from usb and wait until the media scan is finished and then follow the readme instructions EXACTLY. There is no need to manually remove the .img file as the last factory reset will clear the internal drive.

REMOVE your sd card prior to any firmware update. DO NOT put the .img file on the sd card!

Sep 19, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #2,112 of 18,652
Am I the only one who would like the screen to come on when you push the buttons?

I have suggested this option to iBasso and they will likely be implementing it in a future update. Getting playlists fixed is the first priority.

Sep 19, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #2,113 of 18,652
Do not delete either file from the internal drive. Just drag the update file to the internal drive, safely remove from usb and wait until the media scan is finished and then follow the readme instructions EXACTLY. There is no need to manually remove the .img file as the last factory reset will clear the internal drive.

REMOVE your sd card prior to any firmware update. DO NOT put the .img file on the sd card!

You got it right. Amazing the dancing one has to do in order to successfully flash the firmware. :wink:

Sep 19, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #2,114 of 18,652
What I would like to see however is lower selection for the screen time out, 30 seconds being the lowest is too long for me. I would prefer a 15 - 10 second option. Maybe down the road somewhere, after a few other things are sorted. 

Don't forget that a quick press of the power button will toggle the screen on and off.

Sep 19, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #2,115 of 18,652
I did not think mine had hiss, but it does. It is very feint, but it is there. You have to be in a dead quiet room or you won't notice it. The easiest way to hear it is to switch thw unit on with your iem's in place. There is first a loud pop when you switch the unit on, then you will hear some hiss on low gain. If yoy move the slider to medium gain, it will get just a bit quieter. I cannot detect a difference in volume between medium and high gain using ATH-CLR100.

Also, the amount of hiss is about the same as the X3 puts out. Oddly, the X3's hiss increases when you turn up the volume, but the Dx50's does not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back