The iBasso Dongle DAC Thread – DC03 Pro | DC04 Pro | DC06 Pro | DC Elite | ...
Dec 2, 2023 at 2:14 PM Post #106 of 1,170
I just got my dc elite pro and it just straight up doesnt want to work with my iPhone while it works perfectly with my laptop. anybody got a similar experience?
@Paul - iBasso has there been any testing on iphones? I was considering the DC-elite for my iphone 14 pro, but if it doesn't work then it's a pass for me. kinda disappointing to hear this

Dec 2, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #107 of 1,170
@Paul - iBasso has there been any testing on iphones? I was considering the DC-elite for my iphone 14 pro, but if it doesn't work then it's a pass for me. kinda disappointing to hear this
For context I’m on an iPhone 13 in EU if that somehow matters.
People told me to try a separate bought OTG Cable and with all due respect for 450€ I kind of expect the product to be plug and play as advertised especially when there is a usb-c to lightning adapter sent with the product. In the end what good is a dongle that I can’t properly use as a dongle.
I would greatly appreciate a statement @Paul - iBasso

Dec 2, 2023 at 4:21 PM Post #108 of 1,170
When discussing iphones, nowadays it is helpful to distinguish between iphones with lightning and iphones with USB-C. They do not necessarily behave in the same way with dongles. At least for me, no apps are fully functional with the USB-C iphones and dongles. To be specific, DSD via DoP is basically broken.

Dec 2, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #109 of 1,170
When discussing iphones, nowadays it is helpful to distinguish between iphones with lightning and iphones with USB-C. They do not necessarily behave in the same way with dongles. At least for me, no apps are fully functional with the USB-C iphones and dongles. To be specific, DSD via DoP is basically broken.
yeah thats why I clarified that in a later comment. Funnily enough it does work with less demanding iem´s but when trying to power my symphonium crimson it just stops working but why would I need such an item just to power non demanding iem´s I´m honestly disappointed by the lack of testing that this apparently has been through but chifi not being compatible with iPhones is not new anyways. Just expected something that is advertised as a "flagship" to be better than that.

Dec 3, 2023 at 7:05 AM Post #110 of 1,170
The DC Elite would have been a great addition to the arsenal, if only it had Bluetooth.
Who uses a portable dongle these days with cables ? It’s so inconvenient with the phone + cable + dongle, whether in the pocket or in hand when trying to use the phone.

I’ll stick to my IFI Go Blu for now, until something better comes up.

Dec 3, 2023 at 10:24 AM Post #111 of 1,170
yeah thats why I clarified that in a later comment. Funnily enough it does work with less demanding iem´s but when trying to power my symphonium crimson it just stops working but why would I need such an item just to power non demanding iem´s I´m honestly disappointed by the lack of testing that this apparently has been through but chifi not being compatible with iPhones is not new anyways. Just expected something that is advertised as a "flagship" to be better than that.
You must have been living under a rock, because it's widely known that if you own an iphone with a lighting port, or iphone below 15, it has a power limit that it can deliver and it shuts down power to a device once that limit is reached or you start hearing all kind of artifacts.
I'm pretty sure, based on your tone, you've been running fine with other dongles your demanding IEMs or cans, but we both know that would be a lie... or your other dongles were not drawing much power, in that case it weren't driving your demanding gear, it was just holding its hand while your handphones were limping with a crutch in the other hand.
So how did you come up with this idea to run your power hungry gear with an iphone?

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2023 at 11:24 AM Post #112 of 1,170
You must have been living under a rock, because it's widely known that if you own an iphone with a lighting port, or iphone below 15, it has a power limit that it can deliver and it shuts down power to a device once that limit is reached or you start hearing all kind of artifacts.
I'm pretty sure, based on your tone, you've been running fine with other dongles your demanding IEMs or cans, but we both know that would be a lie... or your other dongles were not drawing much power, in that case it weren't driving your demanding gear, it was just holding its hand while your handphones were limping with a crutch in the other hand.
So how did you come up with this idea to run your power hungry gear with an iphone?
I am familiar with iPhones having problems with that type of stuff. But so far I’ve been able to go around those issues with the simple camera adapter for my desktop stack and the q5k I own. You might’ve noticed how both of these have their own way of powering themselves which might’ve been where my mistake started.
Prior to this I’ve powered both my Crimson and HD650 through my desktop amp and have been listening through my laptop and just kept the Q5K as a utility item since it doesnt do more demanding transducers justice IMO.
I have not been using other dongles prior to this aside from the standard apple dongle on which you can probably guess how well it runs my iem.
But like I said before when an item is being advertised as being "plug and play" on iPhone and it even comes with a lightning adapter I expect it to be that way regardless of how demanding the transducer is. You could call it ignorance if you will I personally think if you call something a flagship you should to extensive testing prior to the release and at least mention it potentially on the web page which, please correct me if I’m wrong, I didnt see anywhere.
Either way I think its important to share this experience so 1. the iBasso team becomes aware of the issue and 2. people with similar gear as mine dont make the same mistake I did. My tone might’ve sounded ignorant but if anything I was just disappointed and hope that the issue gets resolved. My goal is never to bash a company I just want whats best for our community and clear up any misconceptions.
Anyways have a nice remaining weekend!

Dec 3, 2023 at 11:47 AM Post #113 of 1,170
Ok, I think you're right, I've just read on their website stating that
"there is no built-in battery, so the DC-Elite receives its power through the usb interface from the master device. The actual power consumption is related to the operation and the device system."
This leaves them a room to come back at you, that everything is ok the way it operates on your system, but it's definitely not a plug-and-play, because that wording makes it seem like a flawless operation, so they should add that iPhone users could experience some limitations regarding iPhone's power delivery limitations, considering that they do mention possible compatibility issues related to android.
I rushed to judgement.

Dec 3, 2023 at 5:05 PM Post #114 of 1,170
Ok, I think you're right, I've just read on their website stating that
"there is no built-in battery, so the DC-Elite receives its power through the usb interface from the master device. The actual power consumption is related to the operation and the device system."
This leaves them a room to come back at you, that everything is ok the way it operates on your system, but it's definitely not a plug-and-play, because that wording makes it seem like a flawless operation, so they should add that iPhone users could experience some limitations regarding iPhone's power delivery limitations, considering that they do mention possible compatibility issues related to android.
I rushed to judgement.
I think the newer iphones with USB-C have more power. The Cayin RU7 on my phone can do the upsampling to DSD256, apparently that is an issue with older iphones.
We are still learning about this new iphone variant so I am sure others will chime in.

Dec 4, 2023 at 5:59 AM Post #116 of 1,170
The DC Elite would have been a great addition to the arsenal, if only it had Bluetooth.
Who uses a portable dongle these days with cables ? It’s so inconvenient with the phone + cable + dongle, whether in the pocket or in hand when trying to use the phone.

I’ll stick to my IFI Go Blu for now, until something better comes up.
wont get a 450 EUR dongle to use via bluetooth. There are enough options for bt dongles out there. this is meant to give you totl performance, with totl iems and not with your 250 EUR consumer chifi iem

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2023 at 7:24 AM Post #117 of 1,170
I just tried DC-Elite yesterday. I confirmed that it feels hi-fi, brighter than my DC03 Pro. But too bright for my taste, Taylor Swift's Welcome to new york from 1989 album doesn't seem right. I still keep my DC03 Pro because of it. The rest are fine, but by memory, DC03 Pro vocal seems more forward than DC Elite.

Dec 4, 2023 at 6:47 PM Post #118 of 1,170
I just tried DC-Elite yesterday. I confirmed that it feels hi-fi, brighter than my DC03 Pro. But too bright for my taste, Taylor Swift's Welcome to new york from 1989 album doesn't seem right. I still keep my DC03 Pro because of it. The rest are fine, but by memory, DC03 Pro vocal seems more forward than DC Elite.
Joined DC03 pro party only now and I can’t be happier, it’s a crazy ultramobile source, I was looking for a compact dongle to use with Fitear TG334 and matching is going to made me crazy, insane sinergy with my lovely Blue gem 💎

Dec 4, 2023 at 7:37 PM Post #119 of 1,170

Users who are viewing this thread

Back