The HP-1000's have landed...ummm...again (56K warning pics)
Jan 1, 2006 at 2:16 AM Post #31 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032
This thread is a keeper, and so are those phones!
smily_headphones1.gif

Don't know about the thread (definately a good one,
biggrin.gif
) but my phones are keepers forever. I want to be buried with them.
tongue.gif

Jan 1, 2006 at 4:02 PM Post #32 of 118
Rhydon,

That is awesome, thanks for sharing that info, I may have to call Joe Grado and have a conversation with him. I called him way back, but left a message. I was surprised that he actually called me back and answered my original question regarding some hp-2 vs. hp-3 thing. I called him back and we had a nice chat. Apparently, the top recording studios and even some of the major headphone companies like Sony, Beyer, and Akg for example use the hp-1000's to tune their stuff, and Joe feels no one has even come close to reaching the ability of the HP-1000's as of yet.

Jan 1, 2006 at 4:14 PM Post #33 of 118
If only you could still buy HP2's for $495.
frown.gif

Jan 1, 2006 at 5:44 PM Post #35 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24
Rhydon,
some of the major headphone companies like Sony, Beyer, and Akg for example use the hp-1000's to tune their stuff, ...

!!!!
eek.gif
eek.gif

Jan 1, 2006 at 7:32 PM Post #36 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
If only you could still buy HP2's for $495.
frown.gif

How about this, if they started reproducing all of them at these same prices, do you think the HP-3 would outsell the K701?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 1, 2006 at 10:04 PM Post #37 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ofpain
How about this, if they started reproducing all of them at these same prices, do you think the HP-3 would outsell the K701?
very_evil_smiley.gif

You know what, that is a good question! If the prices were the same, it would be close. Don't forget the market for headphones back then was very small and marginal, taking into account inflation that was a lot of money back then. Doing some more research, a lot of places, even though they knew the HP-1000's were awesome and the best headphones at the time( a lot preferred the HP's over the electrostats), simply did not carry them because of their prices and lack of market and profit margins. However, those same places were much more inclined carrying the plastic versions, the SR-100, 200, and 300, i believed those retailed at 195 and 295, somewhere around that, more reasonable i guess.

Today, I think even the HP-3's at 395 would sell like hotcakes - hp's for me beat 600/cardas and 650/zu/equinox for my tastes and purposes.

Jan 1, 2006 at 11:56 PM Post #38 of 118
Quote:

Today, I think even the HP-3's at 395 would sell like hotcakes - hp's for me beat 600/cardas and 650/zu/equinox for my tastes and purposes.

i think the HP-2 beats everything from the 650 to the R-10.

Jan 2, 2006 at 1:47 AM Post #39 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
i think the HP-2 beats everything from the 650 to the R-10.

In my opinion, I concur as well - I would like to give more time to the R-10 if I ever had the chance, but I don't see myself ever owning can primarily dude to cost/performance, as I even find the RS-1's do some things similar to the R-10, but with a much warmer tonal quality than the R-10.

Jan 2, 2006 at 1:50 AM Post #40 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ofpain
see headphones like this are the reason why people like us spend so much money on this hobby.

I assume you paid more than the original retail of the HP-1's correct?
evil_smiley.gif

Actually, not really by that much - I prefer to keep things confidential as a respect for the seller, but he was able to make a profit considering he bought it way back in 1992 and I got it for a great price, so we both won

Jan 2, 2006 at 1:50 AM Post #41 of 118
Quote:

In my opinion, I concur as well - I would like to give more time to the R-10 if I ever had the chance, but I don't see myself ever owning can primarily dude to cost/performance, as I even find the RS-1's do some things similar to the R-10, but with a much warmer tonal quality than the R-10.

i cannot see at all how you could compare r10 to rs1, the sounds are way different. They hardly even belong in the same sentence.

Jan 2, 2006 at 1:57 AM Post #42 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
i cannot see at all how you could compare rs1, the sounds are way different. They hardly even belong in the same sentence.

There you go I sorted it out
rs1smile.gif

Jan 2, 2006 at 1:59 AM Post #43 of 118
Quote:

Actually, not really by that much - I prefer to keep things confidential as a respect for the seller, but he was able to make a profit considering he bought it way back in 1992 and I got it for a great price, so we both won

You lucky dog. And yes I would drop $400 on a pair of brand new HP-3's (not NOS, but brand new). I would love to experience the sound, but the build materials are great. I mean even the PS-1 isn't as nice (less metal). To me the three things keeping me away from the HP-1000 series are (in order of significance):

1. Obtainability
2. Price
3. Age/Reliability

tongue.gif

Jan 2, 2006 at 2:04 AM Post #44 of 118
I hate showing my fanboyism, but here it is again - I love my HP2s. They are my fave can by far. They make the terrorizing journey though Head-fi all worth it in the end. The HP1000 will never be a FOTM - it is proudly in the Hall of Fame, and well deserved. *takes deep breath* aaaand, I'm done!
icon10.gif

Jan 2, 2006 at 3:06 AM Post #45 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
i cannot see at all how you could compare r10 to rs1, the sounds are way different. They hardly even belong in the same sentence.

yeah, you are right: the RS-1 is out of the R-10's league.
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

Quote:

...but he was able to make a profit considering he bought it way back in 1992 and I got it for a great price, so we both won

that is definitely the best way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back