The HP-1000's have landed...ummm...again (56K warning pics)
Dec 31, 2005 at 8:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 118

recstar24

Can Jam '10 Organizer
Well, as the title says, I was fortunate to get my hands on another set from a local head-fier. Apparently, this set is pretty much NOS as the pictures will show. The background goes like this:

Head-fier purchases HP-3's in 1992, only to be enamored so much by the sound to quickly buy a new set of HP-2's. HP-3's soon get sent to Joe Grado to be upgraded to HP-2 specs with new drivers. Cans come back, owner takes a listen, prefers original HP-2's, sets aforementioned cans aside and away never to be listened too until one day a new owner would be blessed with such perfection of patience and preservation (myself of couse
biggrin.gif
)

DSCF0092.JPG

DSCF0087.JPG

DSCF0085.JPG

DSCF0086.JPG

As you can see and confirmed by John Grado in Zanth's interview, the HP-3's were clearly marked on the inside underneath the pads. Notice how the ink is still bold and clear, no wear whatsoever on any of the lettering on the outside of the cups and the ink is still wet too!

DSCF0098.JPG

Owner was great in preserving the receipt of upgrade, thanks!

DSCF0097.JPG

I was startled by how preserved even the box was, pearly white - the original owner clearly babied these things from the box down to the cans.

The inside literature - some nice backstory
DSCF0064.JPG

DSCF0065.JPG

DSCF0066.JPG

DSCF0063.JPG

Well how do they sound? Well, they sound okay right now, the drivers are essentially brand new so I need to spend a couple hundred of hours at least breaking them in, man NOS sure is a pain
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 31, 2005 at 8:11 AM Post #3 of 118
biggrin.gif
Congrats.....very sweet.

Dec 31, 2005 at 8:21 AM Post #6 of 118
Ok, the PRISTINE HP3 with HP2 (matched) drivers really is amazing (Maybe the first upclose look at a HP3 on head-fi, right folks?) But equally awesome was the HP1000 literature! I took out my bifocals and actually read all of that - I'm so pleased that the original Marantz guy gave the thumbs up, I'm plugging my HP2s into the Marantz 2226 headphone out right now in respect! *saves all pics in this thread onto hard drive*

Edit- they should bring back the diagram instructions on adjusting the headband like you see on that box - no more telling folks that it's ok to go Hulk on the headband to adjust it!

Dec 31, 2005 at 8:39 AM Post #7 of 118
Yeah, my favorite part is the literature too - Sid Smith from Marantz fame was actually buddies with Joe Grado. Apparently, when Marantz was sold and Sid was left doing his own thing, Joe offered to help him set up his own business. Joe's offer was that Grado would provide complete manufacture and distribution with Grado assuming all risk by fronting all of the venture capital to start. Sid would contribute new designs, the company would bear his name, and Joe gave him the option of buying out Grado once things were rolling. Sid refused because he was slated as being a perfectionist and didnt have complete control over every single step of the manufacturing process like at Marantz.

Dec 31, 2005 at 9:00 AM Post #9 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
those are beautiful phones, but the literature is sweet! thank you so much for posting that! i love my HP-2s to death and i'm glad you were able to get a new pair!

Thanks man, I really appreciate it, us hp-1000 owners are few and far between so we sure need to stick together thats for sure!

Jahn and edipisreks,

Do you think I should repost the literature pics at the larger size, so its easier to read? I did that originally but didnt want it to be a hassle for others to read through.

Dec 31, 2005 at 9:04 AM Post #10 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24
Thanks man, I really appreciate it, us hp-1000 owners are few and far between so we sure need to stick together thats for sure!

Jahn and edipisreks,

Do you think I should repost the literature pics at the larger size, so its easier to read? I did that originally but didnt want it to be a hassle for others to read through.

i would just link the full size images. i would love to have a full size copy to print out.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 31, 2005 at 2:39 PM Post #12 of 118
Man, those are sweet. However, don't hoard all of them forever... HP love must be shared
tongue.gif

I wonder if Joe Grado is still researching improvements to these babies (see squinty product literature)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back