The HF2 - Not as good as i had hoped
Jul 24, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #16 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Astroid - there is a serial # on three components of my HF-2. The serial is on the unlettered side of both L and R plastic blocks, on side of outer metal shell of the headphones, and inked onto the wood cups in the normal position under where the earpads rest. ............more traditionally, the RS-1 and RS-2 serial is located in only one position - on the earcup under where the earpads rest.

Where exactly is the S/N on the metal driver cup? I see the number on the wooden driver cup and the box, obviously, and I see the one in the plastic rod bocks, but I'm unable to see the one on the aluminum driver cup. (A pic would be fantastic, if you can get one.)

Jul 24, 2009 at 10:14 PM Post #17 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by astroid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Listened to a friends today, he owns the local Hifi shop and recieved his last week. I only got around 40mins on them but i was left a little disappointed as was the owner.
I have been reading the 'reviews' of the HF2s that have appeared here so far, from them i was expecting a Grado that was less shouty than the 325 with better defined bass than an RS2 that had the mids of a PS1/1000.
Nope , imo they sit around the 325 level , they have areas that are better than the 325 , treble is cleaner and less sibilant, the Mids are VERY enjoyable, silky smooth BUT the bass was all over the place, similar to the SR60s.
Cranted they only have 100+ hours on them but that bass needs to calm down and get tighter.
I would rather have the HF2 than a 325 as i hate sibilant highs but the RS series is better.

Disclaimer - this is just my opinion.

You now know that they aren't your cup of tea, so no reason for you to pursue trying to score a pair. And your friend can very easily sell them for what he bought them for - I estimate they would last exactly .000005 seconds if they went up for sale here in the Head-Fi buy/sell forum...

A win/win/win for you, your friend, and the lucky person who buys them from your friend!

Jul 24, 2009 at 11:01 PM Post #18 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by tenzip /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where exactly is the S/N on the metal driver cup? I see the number on the wooden driver cup and the box, obviously, and I see the one in the plastic rod bocks, but I'm unable to see the one on the aluminum driver cup. (A pic would be fantastic, if you can get one.)

Mine are scratched in at the bottom outside of the aluminum cup where the cable enters the headphone. It's actually hard to see but its there, at least for me.

Jul 24, 2009 at 11:34 PM Post #20 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheemo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine are scratched in at the bottom outside of the aluminum cup where the cable enters the headphone. It's actually hard to see but its there, at least for me.

Wow, that's hard to see. I can see 136 when I hold it just right on the left cup, but on the right, all I can see is 6. Maybe I'll be able to see it better if I take the pads off, but I'm enjoying listening to them too much to take them off my head for more than a few seconds.
biggrin.gif

Why isn't there a Grado smiley?

Jul 24, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #21 of 41
It wont surprise me if it applies to the HF-2s as well, but the HF-1s I tried I disliked the first time I heard them, until I had the chance to use them with a better amp. Then they were fantastic.

Jul 24, 2009 at 11:44 PM Post #22 of 41
Interesting thread. I guess you like the lighter bass and farther mids of the normal bowl Grados. I personally can't get with that, but it seems that the bowled HF2s are well-liked even among the flat pad lovers. And if you ever try flats on HF2s.... whoooo you will probably hate them. :p

Jul 25, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #23 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiComm4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't like where this is going. I'm locking this thread.

bigsmile_face.gif
That brought a smile to my face.

I am also locking this one up. Please move along.

Jul 25, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #25 of 41
astroid, other than the bass all over the place comment, with which I disagree, I share your views. I think you'll find that many of us have said that they aren't the end-all-be-all of headphones, but they're very enjoyable. I did, however, find them better than I had hoped for, so maybe expectations have a lot to do with initial impressions.

Jul 25, 2009 at 7:00 AM Post #26 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you'll find that many of us have said that they aren't the end-all-be-all of headphones, but they're very enjoyable.

Exactly. They are special edition Grado's that are being sold for below market value as a favour to the community. We should appreciate John and Todd for doing such a thing.

Jul 25, 2009 at 9:24 AM Post #28 of 41
Thanks a lot for the impressions.
smile.gif

Some seems to find them to be simply awesome, while others the total opposite. Much like withy most other headphones, as our taste/preference varies.

Jul 25, 2009 at 10:24 AM Post #29 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheemo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

LOL, just took a closer look at the bottom of the cups and saw the S/N, I originally thought they were regular scratches, made when machining the aluminium cups at the factory
redface.gif

Jul 25, 2009 at 11:02 AM Post #30 of 41
Quote:

I don't like where this is going. I'm locking this thread.

confused_face.gif

Quote:

No talking. Belligerents will be banned.

confused_face_2.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back