The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Jun 19, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #1,382 of 6,326
Quote:
Sheesh, that's a ton! I heard that the QB9 is a good USB DAC... Only problem is that I've heard USB doesn't reproduce as good of quality music than Coax S/PDIF does, lol. Thanks for that list preproman! Gonna start fideling with the pc to look at these.

USB is a real hit and miss when it comes to SQ, and I also don't think it just comes down to your dac alone although some dac's have better usb chipsets then others.  For now the dac I'm using is the Asus Xonar essence one "XEO" which is driving me nuts with its chl imbalance potentiometers.... Anyhow using the XEO usb, toslink, or coaxial makes no SQ difference on my main PC no matter what connection I use, however using my laptop or my g'friends PC, usb is a completely different story, SQ is terrible and toslink is the better choice

So now when I hear someone say usb isn't that great on a particular dac I don't take it as gospel, so to speak......

Jun 19, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #1,383 of 6,326
Quote:
USB is a real hit and miss when it comes to SQ, and I also don't think it just comes down to your dac alone although some dac's have better usb chipsets then others.  For now the dac I'm using is the Asus Xonar essence one "XEO" which is driving me nuts with its chl imbalance potentiometers.... Anyhow using the XEO usb, toslink, or coaxial makes no SQ difference on my main PC no matter what connection I use, however using my laptop or my g'friends PC, usb is a completely different story, SQ is terrible and toslink is the better choice

So now when I hear someone say usb isn't that great on a particular dac I don't take it as gospel, so to speak......

Hrmmm, interesting. Thanks Gandah.

Jun 19, 2013 at 5:44 AM Post #1,384 of 6,326
I think it is fairer to say onboard USB is generally not as well implemented as SPDIF.  Offboard USB>SPDIF converter though can be purchased that do it right.  As time goes on the lessons learned in stand alone devices will trickle into the DACs.

Jun 19, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #1,386 of 6,326
For example, as much as I like the PWD2 it's USB input is minimalist.  However something like a John Kenny or Audiophilleo does a great job of handling all the issues inherent with USB input, mostly the noise from the PC itself.

There are exceptions though.  The new Metrum DACs have great USB as does Audio-GD top shelf DACs.

Jun 25, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #1,390 of 6,326
Quote:
Quote:
I guess $2,000 would be my budget for the DAC.

That would fall just under both the PWD2 and BDA-2 unless you can find a local Bryston dealer willing to deal down from the $2400 MSRP.  

I assume Lynx Hilo, Benchmark DAC2 HGC and Grace Design m903 will be within budget(?)

Jun 29, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #1,393 of 6,326
Quote:

A second BDA-2 
eek.gif

Yes, my BDA-2 is with my speaker system, using an explorer with my headphone set-up. maybe one more week till my second one arrives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back