The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Oct 4, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #1,983 of 6,346
  to do just 1 amp in a different color would be +$400 because i have to get 3 sets of panels done to have a very low risk that i will get 1 amp and 1 psu panel that is free of defects

Justin, I know I speak for all of us when I say we appreciate the attention to details you put in for every HeadAmp product.  That is true dedication right there.  Cannot wait truly for the GS-X.

Oct 4, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #1,984 of 6,346
  to do just 1 amp in a different color would be +$400 because i have to get 3 sets of panels done to have a very low risk that i will get 1 amp and 1 psu panel that is free of defects

Thanks, Justin. Understood.

If anyone else wants to switch their amp to orange, please PM me ASAP. Otherwise I will be sticking with black

Oct 10, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #1,992 of 6,346
Just want to be clear, it is $745 x 4 = $2980 for the price of  GS-X mk2 DACT ?
And someone can explain to me the diff between Alpha and DACT ? is it just the different volume knob ?

Oct 10, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #1,993 of 6,346
Just want to be clear, it is $745 x 4 = $2980 for the price of  GS-X mk2 DACT ? And someone can explain to me the diff between Alpha and DACT ? is it just the different volume knob ?

Yes that's the price with the DACT, and yes the difference is only the volume pot. The DACT is stepped (24 steps) while the Alpha is continuous. Usually stepped attenuators provide superior channel matching, but since the Alpha pot is continuous that might be better if you use primarily low-impedance, sensitive headphones. The amp has 3-way gain though to accommodate a wide range of headphones.

Oct 11, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #1,994 of 6,346

Yes that's the price with the DACT, and yes the difference is only the volume pot. The DACT is stepped (24 steps) while the Alpha is continuous. Usually stepped attenuators provide superior channel matching, but since the Alpha pot is continuous that might be better if you use primarily low-impedance, sensitive headphones. The amp has 3-way gain though to accommodate a wide range of headphones.

Asr nailed it, and here is a link to the tech specs on the DACT attenuator. I found this useful when I was researching the difference a while ago: http://www.dact.com/html/attenuators.html

Oct 18, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #1,995 of 6,346
Hello

Long time lurker, but first time poster.

Not much activity in this thread lately because I guess a lot are still waiting for their GS-Xes. (Including me
biggrin.gif
)
This is my first big amp ugrade and my first time venturing into the world of SS. (Been a tube guy so far). But the impressions and reviews have been great and thought it would be nice to have both SS and tube at my disposal.

I was considering a Stratus or EC but the it took me 3 years of tube rolling before I got the sound right on my current amp..and I didn't want to go through that hassle and expense again.
With all the great new TOTL headphones coming out I wanted something that would work with a wide range of hps. (Right now I have OTL which really only works well with my Beyer T1s and Senns)

Anyhow, looking forward to this amp. (Hopefully it delivers by Christmas)
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back