The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Feb 8, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #3,526 of 12,992
@Hawaiibadboy Sweet review on the C5!

Just wanted to drop in a note real quick about EQ's. Since @Hawaiibadboy 's recommendation for the ipad EQ app, i've been wanting to EQ the songs from spotify (since i do most of my music listening with it). Unfortunately the EQ built in to the spotify app on the phone kinda sucks, and there is no EQ available when playing back on my macbook.

I managed to find an app called Boom 2, so far its pretty sweet, dunno if you guys already know about this. Now i can make my head rattle with songs from spotify lol~. Though it doesn't seem like boom 2 is available on the iphone for now, so i'll be listening to my spotify on my macbook for the most part for now.

I'll try and find time later tonight to post a paper test using my XB500 + CayinC5 + Macbook & Spotify & the Boom 2.

If anyone's got any recommendations as far as good Boom 2 or even just good EQ settings / resources for me to test please do let me know =)

Feb 8, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #3,527 of 12,992
BRIEF COMPARISON OF FIIO E12 vs ARROW 5N AMPS FOR THE SZ2000s:

Background:  I own a Headstage Arrow 4G and recently got the 5N, and was curious as to how it would compare against the E12, so I got the E12 when I saw one go for cheap.

Test Chain: Galaxy S5, Neutron MP at 100 volume, EQ as below, 3.5 to 3.5 short cable, AMP, sz2000s. Song - "On My Level"

Lowband gain0dB
Mid1 band gain-11dB
Mid 2 band gain-12dB
Hi band gain-10dB
Low band cut off40Hz
Low band slope Q5 
Mid1 band center freq1000Hz
Mid 1 band width Octaves7 
Mid 2 band center freq2500Hz
Mid 2 band width Octaves9 
Hi band cut off4000Hz
Hi band slope Q0.04 

Highlights:

Arrow 5N: has DAC, 2 levels of gain, 2 levels of bass boost (plus L,M,H setting for bass boost, see below), automatic ON/OFF switch, mute button.

FiiO E12: has about 25% more max power than arrow, convenient on/volume knob, seemed to have less background hiss at high gain

So, the point of my exercise was to determine which would give me more bass/slam.  The results are divided in this way: The E12, due to the higher power output, could increase the volume more than the Arrow, thus giving more shake. HOWEVER, due to the bass boost options of the Arrow, on Bass boost level 2, plus Frequency set to H, the SZ shook (slam, vibrations) a lot more at a lower volume than the E12 could manage. As a matter of fact, with such a setting, it is easy enough to get the SZs to distort, whereas with the E12 I had to push it near total volume for distortion.

Now, I realize that lowering the EQ and pushing the volume up on the 12 would increase shake, but I did not since I'm not sure how many dBs equalizers can cut on most players, but I've heard the -18 dB per band that Neutron can do is not common.

Now the note on the Arrow Bass boost: while I believe the concept is that the level gives the increase, plus the "Frequency" switch moves the center frequency, It does not sound like that to me. In my test with a frequency sweeper, it seems that L,M,H apply a Low, Mid, and Higher gain on frequencies 180 Hz and below. So the weakest bass boost is level I, on L, while the highest is level II, on H. That is my impression and perhaps my testing was not sensitive enough to determine the truth of this, but that was my perception.

Still, my determination is that for bass neck-massage purposes with the SZ, I have to go with the Arrow 5N and its mega bass boost options.

Would be interesting to try the Cayin, but I don't have one...

Cheers, all.

BTW: song of the day:

Four 15's on My Camel by Bassotronics... get it and enjoy...

Feb 8, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #3,528 of 12,992
  BRIEF COMPARISON OF FIIO E12 vs ARROW 5N AMPS FOR THE SZ2000s:

Background:  I own a Headstage Arrow 4G and recently got the 5N, and was curious as to how it would compare against the E12, so I got the E12 when I saw one go for cheap.

Test Chain: Galaxy S5, Neutron MP at 100 volume, EQ as below, 3.5 to 3.5 short cable, AMP, sz2000s. Song - "On My Level"

Lowband gain0dB
Mid1 band gain-11dB
Mid 2 band gain-12dB
Hi band gain-10dB
Low band cut off40Hz
Low band slope Q5 
Mid1 band center freq1000Hz
Mid 1 band width Octaves7 
Mid 2 band center freq2500Hz
Mid 2 band width Octaves9 
Hi band cut off4000Hz
Hi band slope Q0.04 

Highlights:

Arrow 5N: has DAC, 2 levels of gain, 2 levels of bass boost (plus L,M,H setting for bass boost, see below), automatic ON/OFF switch, mute button.

FiiO E12: has about 25% more max power than arrow, convenient on/volume knob, seemed to have less background hiss at high gain

So, the point of my exercise was to determine which would give me more bass/slam.  The results are divided in this way: The E12, due to the higher power output, could increase the volume more than the Arrow, thus giving more shake. HOWEVER, due to the bass boost options of the Arrow, on Bass boost level 2, plus Frequency set to H, the SZ shook (slam, vibrations) a lot more at a lower volume than the E12 could manage. As a matter of fact, with such a setting, it is easy enough to get the SZs to distort, whereas with the E12 I had to push it near total volume for distortion.

Now, I realize that lowering the EQ and pushing the volume up on the 12 would increase shake, but I did not since I'm not sure how many dBs equalizers can cut on most players, but I've heard the -18 dB per band that Neutron can do is not common.

Now the note on the Arrow Bass boost: while I believe the concept is that the level gives the increase, plus the "Frequency" switch moves the center frequency, It does not sound like that to me. In my test with a frequency sweeper, it seems that L,M,H apply a Low, Mid, and Higher gain on frequencies 180 Hz and below. So the weakest bass boost is level I, on L, while the highest is level II, on H. That is my impression and perhaps my testing was not sensitive enough to determine the truth of this, but that was my perception.

Still, my determination is that for bass neck-massage purposes with the SZ, I have to go with the Arrow 5N and its mega bass boost options.

Would be interesting to try the Cayin, but I don't have one...

Cheers, all.

BTW: song of the day:

Four 15's on My Camel by Bassotronics... get it and enjoy...

Dude...awesome write-up

If you could ever do a switch on/off vid >:30 seconds

That would be awesome. Lotta folks got ADHD ...see words and run but a vid speaks to them
biggrin.gif

Again...nice write-up
beerchug.gif

EDIT:

Any suggestions for the February Top 10 list can be submitted now. There will be no adjustments unless told and or shown a set that belongs on the list.

Aloha.

Feb 8, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #3,529 of 12,992
This is my first test and vid, so no apologies... but DAMN there has to be an easier way to test this... anyway this is as good as I got, I give up... anyway- Arrow 5N with Bass boost on II H.

Feb 9, 2015 at 12:16 AM Post #3,530 of 12,992
  This is my first test and vid, so no apologies... but DAMN there has to be an easier way to test this... anyway this is as good as I got, I give up... anyway- Arrow 5N with Bass boost on II H.

I use a larger (  1/2 a sheet of A4 printer paper) it shows the hit better IMO   Thanks for the vid BTW
beerchug.gif

Feb 9, 2015 at 1:04 AM Post #3,531 of 12,992
OK so here's some videos of me testing the Cayin C5 + spotify + Boom 2 EQ (macbook app) on the XB500. 

Video at moderate level of boom:

Settings:
Headphones: Sony XB500

Paper - regular half sized A4

Source: Macbook Pro, Spotify: mac volume at 1 bar, Spotify volume at full

EQ: Boom 2 OSX app with custom EQ settings, "boom volume" at Moderate Level (see vid)

EQ settings: 
20 Hz    + 4.0 Db
25 Hz    + 7.1 Db
32 Hz    + 9.0 Db
40 Hz    + 9.6 Db
50 Hz    + 10.2 Db
63 Hz    + 11.2 Db
80 Hz    + 10.1 Db
100 Hz    + 9.3 Db
125 Hz    + 7.0 Db
160 Hz    + 4.9 Db
200 Hz    + 3.0 Db
250 Hz    + 1.1 Db
315 Hz    + 0.9 Db
400 Hz    + 0.5 Db
500 Hz    + 0.3 Db

Amp: Cayin C5 on high gain and bass boost on, volume knob at 3

Video with higher level of boom, with toggling the EQ on and off

Settings:
Headphones: Sony XB500

Paper - regular half sized A4

Source: Macbook Pro, Spotify: mac volume at 1 bar, Spotify volume at full

EQ: Boom 2 OSX app with custom EQ settings, "boom volume" at higher Level (see vid). EQ toggled on & off during video so you can see differences.

EQ settings: 
20 Hz    + 4.0 Db
25 Hz    + 7.1 Db
32 Hz    + 9.0 Db
40 Hz    + 9.6 Db
50 Hz    + 10.2 Db
63 Hz    + 11.2 Db
80 Hz    + 10.1 Db
100 Hz    + 9.3 Db
125 Hz    + 7.0 Db
160 Hz    + 4.9 Db
200 Hz    + 3.0 Db
250 Hz    + 1.1 Db
315 Hz    + 0.9 Db
400 Hz    + 0.5 Db
500 Hz    + 0.3 Db

Amp: Cayin C5 on high gain and bass boost on, volume knob at 3

I didn't want to turn up the volume anymore because housing started to shake as well and i didnt want to damage the cans.

Hopefully this is helpful to someone, particularly if you're looking to EQ your Spotify music or something else on your macbook that doesn't have an EQ. Boom 2 seems to do the trick for me, cost 15 bucks but i thought it was pretty worth it. comments / thoughts welcomed =)

Feb 9, 2015 at 7:32 AM Post #3,532 of 12,992
I'm also looking for a possibility to eq spotify more freely on iOS on iPhone. Any suggestions out there? On does someone have the skills to do that? Looking at the fellows at spotify here... Make your eq basshead friendly!

Feb 9, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #3,533 of 12,992
I'm also looking for a possibility to eq spotify more freely on iOS on iPhone. Any suggestions out there? On does someone have the skills to do that? Looking at the fellows at spotify here... Make your eq basshead friendly!

Try the "Bass Booster" app on Android or JetAudio music player with addons. Very powerful EQ on both.

Feb 9, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #3,534 of 12,992

Try the "Bass Booster" app on Android or JetAudio music player with addons. Very powerful EQ on both.

Why not use the best? http://vipersaudio.com/blog/ aka viper4android

Search in Xda forums for the viper4android and you'll see the praise it gets.

Feb 9, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #3,536 of 12,992
Feb 9, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #3,537 of 12,992
I'am curious, what sub-bass frequencies does 'On my level' hit at the beginning/intro of the song? It feels pretty damn low, actually even more vibrating than emitting sound (~0:05 mark).

Feb 9, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #3,538 of 12,992

There is an app for spotify but its only for windows desktop, its called Equalify.  I use it and its good

I don't want get into the subject, but this is one of the reasons why people dread IOS,  to much constraints for the user just to use apple licensed products.  Its also a double edge sword, cause so many other companies cater to the IOS platform.

Feb 9, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #3,539 of 12,992

I would consider something like this:
http://www.iphonehacks.com/2014/07/equalizereverywhere-cydia.html

EDIT: I haven't noticed at first it has such a limited bass range. Well if I were you I would look for something similar with more customization, I personally like to boost frequencies below 60hz and somewhat recess ~70hz to seperate sub-bass from mid-bass and avoid overwhelming humming with some recordings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back