The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Jan 5, 2015 at 8:15 AM Post #3,136 of 12,991

I gotta vouch for these with EDM. They're super energetic so synthesizers are silky smooth and fast. Any speed in tempo is done beautifully with the bass pounding at all times. I don't think  you will be disappointed with the E12 powering them. WITHOUT an amp is where these aren't impressive but they scale extremely well with one.

About them with all other genres, I listen to electronic music with these and hip hop obviously too but can't do rock, classical, anything else with these. You're in a club all the time with these. Listening to rock? Feels like you're standing next to the guitarist's amp in a club. Playing acoustic music? You're next to an amp in a club. Every single instrument has reverb and artifacts in the high frequencies, just not clear for those genres. The instrument separation here and image also makes most things stacked on top of each other and I can't tell individual instrument's position in the image. But that's not what I got them for so it doesn't matter because this works great for hip hop and any electronic music for me. I got other headphones and ciem's for that. I knew I wasn't gonna use these as all-rounders ahead of buying them.

So basically anything that can be made entirely with just a computer is a safe bet. Those that were disappointed might have been listening to these straight out of a phone or anything else without a dedicated amp.

sounds good then as my library of over 140,000 tracks (check me out on soulseek!) are almost all some sort of EDM or 80s synth etc..

i just had a crazy idea.. not sure if this will work.. but check this out:

ipod -> L9 cable -> fiio e7 -> LO cable (from headphone jack) -> fiio e12 (to 3.5mm input jack) -> sz2000

would that frikkin work? hahaha that would be double the amplification or I can use the e7 as my EQ (since the ipod has no usable eq) having bass on 10, gain on 0 or +6 then amping that with the e12!!!

Jan 5, 2015 at 8:26 AM Post #3,137 of 12,991
Same boat, most with the SZ2K's listen to hip hop, but I listen to dub, trance, even Reggae and DnB. Sounds like they should be good with the genres though
USPS, What. It's been like a week and a half and my package with my SZ2000's is still in the same location, Fresno, jumping between what seems like every ******* usps facility in the whole damn city. Every time I call customer service, they are closed or I'm on hold for like 30 minutes. Holy ****, they better have not lost them or something. /rant

i guess u deleted the USPS ramt but i had to comment on that- they have the WORST customer service. Every time ive had to call them Ive been on hold with them for more than an hour and then when you finally get connected , you get the worst most unprofessional ghetto agent there is and they dont help you at all and it becomes a total waste of time.

im assuming you imported these headphones (i think thats the only way you can get them into north america as they dont sell them here or i may be wrong?) so i HOPE that its not jumping back and forth from depot to depot adding customs and duties on top of customs and duties LOL
Thats my fear too when i receive mine, there better not be like 60 bucks in duties and customs and all those other nasty fees when these arrive at my door.
Or who knows.. maybe some usps guys jacked your headphones and are listening to Willie nelson on them or something hahaha J/K

hope u get them soon

Jan 5, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #3,138 of 12,991
since ive spent so much on the headphones and amp and all that, it doesnt make sense to use my ipod touch 4g as my source so i need a new source.. whats some of the best players out there right now with lots of extra bass and EQ options? i know the cowons are good, which version of the cowon should i be looking at? Is there anything better than cowon? please name some suggestions.

Thanks guys

Jan 5, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #3,139 of 12,991
  since ive spent so much on the headphones and amp and all that, it doesnt make sense to use my ipod touch 4g as my source so i need a new source.. whats some of the best players out there right now with lots of extra bass and EQ options? i know the cowons are good, which version of the cowon should i be looking at? Is there anything better than cowon? please name some suggestions.

Thanks guys

Anything that lets you pull from 27 is ******* awesome.

Whatever android based device you can root and throw this on get it. If anyone knows the cheapest device/android/rootable player speak your peace. I might buy 1.

Cowon is the best thing not V4A  capable. Maybe other folks can rec you stuff.

Jan 5, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #3,141 of 12,991
There's no way to get V4A without rooting right? I have a one plus one which is unlocked but its not rooted so I couldn't get it to work. The szs seem fine with just my built in eq tho as I don't do much mobile listening.

Jan 5, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #3,142 of 12,991
There's no way to get V4A without rooting right? I have a one plus one which is unlocked but its not rooted so I couldn't get it to work. The szs seem fine with just my built in eq tho as I don't do much mobile listening.
yeah, have to be rooted. But it takes less than 10 minutes to root and super easy. Plus the extra benefits of rooting

Jan 5, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #3,143 of 12,991
Hi I'm really new to this site because i'm lookin for some new headphones/eaphones. I've been around some threads and many ppl Point to this thread when it come to bass headphones, i'm kind of a bass head and was looking for some bass headphones that arent to big, some i can take on my way to work or school. I don't mind buying some earphones either as long as they are really bassy and my  budget is up to 300 $ at most, I would really appriciate some recommendation :) thanks in advance.

Jan 5, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #3,144 of 12,991
  I have an audiotechnica M50x that I got for christmas. It's sound is brilliant. Great SQL. But at the age of 29 it simply doesn't have enough bass. Particularly sub-bass.

I am on the hunt for the hardest hitting (I know how that sounds, bare with me) headphones on the market. 

My fear is I am going to reach a point where my search will be in vein if I NEVER plan on amping the headphones. They will simply be powered by my cell phone and laptop. Nothing more. 

Thus, is there even such a headphone that is bass heavier then the M50x's I have that does not require an amp to BE sub-bass/ bass heavy? 

My budget=$500 or less
I don't care about noise cancelling, looks, age, portability, over the ear, on the ear, etc... My goal is simply bass heaviness. I am willing to sacrifice some midrange as well.

I realize everything in this thread is all geared around an amp. But what about those of us that don't want to lug an amp around on the train or bus? Are we SOL on finding a sub-bass headphone that does not require an amp?

I feel dumb asking the question to be honest. As so many of you know more then I in this subject.

Hi guys, long time lurker; first time poster. I didn't really see a response to this question about a dozen or so pages back, so I figured I'd follow up. I've been an avid follower of heavy sub-bass in-ear headphones for a while now, but i think it's finally time to take the next step to full sized cans.

While this thread is amazing in its depth, I do find myself in the same boat as the OP above...I want the best/strongest sub-bass headphones I can find (with at least decent quality in other areas as well; so no JVC 55 or 77 lol), but do not find myself willing to carry around an AMP with me everywhere--I only want to power these things with just an iPhone or laptop when I'm out and about.

I realize this thread is all about maximum drive...but is there any headphone out there that will deliver supreme sub-bass WITHOUT the assistance of an AMP? a smaller/more portable style headphone would also be ideal, but not mandatory. Again the main thing I'm looking for here is easy-to-drive, best sub-bass I can find without the fuss of having to carry around extra components in my pocket everywhere. Hopefully the experts can help. Thanks in advance!

Edit: Sub-bass is still a priority no matter what I'm listening to, but genres are typically hip-hop and edm. Price range is up to $400 but flexible. If a wireless model ever fit the bill for amazing, ampless, sub-bass, I would be all-ears for that too (ha!)

Jan 5, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #3,145 of 12,991
Hi I'm really new to this site because i'm lookin for some new headphones/eaphones. I've been around some threads and many ppl Point to this thread when it come to bass headphones, i'm kind of a bass head and was looking for some bass headphones that arent to big, some i can take on my way to work or school. I don't mind buying some earphones either as long as they are really bassy and my  budget is up to 300 $ at most, I would really appriciate some recommendation :) thanks in advance.
look at the first page. Lists the top 10 extreme basshead cans (headphones) and is extremely detailed, also videos. You can look at them and form an opinion of each of them or even decide which you want. Take into account the descriptions, video demos, prices, sizes, etc. Best one is listed first, JVC SZ200, and worst is the last, so it goes into descending order. You should be able to afford most of them. Also, seriously consider a Fiio E12 amp or at least an E11 if you are at the edge of your budget. Without an amp, you won't get the bass you see in the videos. Lastly, you can take whatever size cans you want, but it's personal preference as to how big is too big. Maybe V-MODA M100s would be the right size, but it's pretty low on the list and doesn't produce that incredible bass.

Jan 5, 2015 at 7:19 PM Post #3,146 of 12,991
I have an audiotechnica M50x that I got for christmas. It's sound is brilliant. Great SQL. But at the age of 29 it simply doesn't have enough bass. Particularly sub-bass.

I am on the hunt for the hardest hitting (I know how that sounds, bare with me) headphones on the market. 

My fear is I am going to reach a point where my search will be in vein if I NEVER plan on amping the headphones. They will simply be powered by my cell phone and laptop. Nothing more. 

Thus, is there even such a headphone that is bass heavier then the M50x's I have that does not require an amp to BE sub-bass/ bass heavy

My budget=$500 or less
I don't care about noise cancelling, looks, age, portability, over the ear, on the ear, etc... My goal is simply bass heaviness. I am willing to sacrifice some midrange as well.

I realize everything in this thread is all geared around an amp. But what about those of us that don't want to lug an amp around on the train or bus? Are we SOL on finding a sub-bass headphone that does not require an amp?

I feel dumb asking the question to be honest. As so many of you know more then I in this subject.

Don't feel bad or dumb, we all start at 0 for whatever subject. Well, the list on page 1 still applies. The top one is the best bass hitting set, and the last is the least of the list. So I would recommend the JVC SZ2000 for best and biggest bass. It's just that for maximum bass out of the headphones, you need an amp. You will still get good bass without an amp, but not like in the videos, again, the amp just takes it to the next level.

At that, I still highly suggest an amp. I am not a rich person, and I believe the amp is worth every damn penny, serisouly. I also wear fairly slim/skinny jeans and my Galaxy S5 with a Fiio E11 on the back of it and it fits just fine. An E11 and E12 are smaller than you think. It is easily a very portable amp and meant to be. You don't even have to be bothered by the black silicone straps, I just use velcro to attach or take off the amp from my phone (I use a case, I don't have the velcro straight on the phone cover).

So, bottom line, get the SZ2000, and SERIOUSLY consider a Fiio e12 or at least E11. Also the 55X pads or Brainwavz HM5 pads. The SZ2000 does not have bad mids for a basshead set of cans.

Edit: what phone do you have? If an android, get viper4android. It's free and it's an EQ. If you dont want an amp, definetly get an EQ at least. Boost the bass with it from the EQ and you'll have more bass, but still not like am amp would deliver.

For IOS, get Equalizer.

For pc, your sound driver should include a built in EQ.

HM5 pads HERE and 55X pads HERE. I seriously suggest you get these immediately. These are dirt cheap, even with shipping, there's only a couple still for sale, so definetly get a pair of these ASAP if you are serious about getting a pair of SZ2000's or SZ1000's.
There is also an "extra thick" version of the HM5 pads,if you want. Here is a comparison of the extra thick and normal HM5 pads...
hm5extrathickpads_1.jpg

Also, here is what the extra thick pads look like on the SZ2000, IRL. Pic via a member here, not my pic...
350x700px-LL-5b3af9a6_JVCHA-SZ2000.jpeg

Jan 5, 2015 at 8:02 PM Post #3,147 of 12,991
Thanks for the responses! So I guess the list will always remain in the same with or without an amp--everything will just scale accordingly. I figured there might be some cases where harder-to-drive headphones might leapfrog easier-to-drive headphones once an amp is introduced, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

I personally have Accudio by GoldenEars which I believe I got for free and it seems to do it's job pretty well. Is Equalizer for iOS significantly better than Accudio to pay for that App instead?

Also, I currently use a pair of Velodyne vPulse earphones most days and am loving the bass and overall performance on these things. It's my favorite as far as in-ear headphones go (and I've owned several highly touted "bassy" in-ear headphones like the Hippo VBs, UrbanEars, the JVC XX line, Klipsche Image s4, etc.), and to be honest, when i tried to demo the Beats Pro that are #10 on this list in-store a few months back...they completely underwhelmed me. In my opinion I thought the vPulse actually had better bass than them, but I understand a lot of factors could have gone into the demo setup that did not fully showcase the Beats Pro potential.
This is also a big part of what got me considering that these bigger headphones could never achieve great basshead levels without an Amp if my in-ears were on-par with/outperforming #10 on the list. Again this could just be my ears, a poor demo setup, or simply a matter of preference though.

With that said, thanks for all the help and insight. Something I am also looking into in the future is a pair of wireless headphones, but as a basshead, of course I'm always seeking the most bass I can find in whatever headphones I'm buying. I may keep a "cannon" at home, and a wireless/more portable basshead headphone for me when commuting or on-the-go in general. Is there anyone with any good experiences with a wireless/bluetooth set of bass monsters? Or is that simply out of the question in today's market?

Jan 5, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #3,148 of 12,991

I don't have and never had V4A so it's a unicorn.
You'll be fine without it if you have any way of eq'ing the lows (30Hz) and up.
Nobody has ever done a video so if it were as awesome at full gain as it looks I think an excited young'in would taken a vid. I thought it sounded great but I wasn't grabbing a cam as it wasn't my rig and it wasn't doing anything mind blowing. It is a tweakers dream app though.

Jan 5, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #3,149 of 12,991
Just got V4A and it's pretty nice. Doesn't work with the stock music player on my GS5 though. It has a lot of extra options and stuff, so that's nice for tweakers, but I'll just be using the EQ. Overall, very satisfied with it since it just works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back