The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Jan 4, 2015 at 9:00 AM Post #3,122 of 12,991
YO, i know most of you guys listen to a lot of rap/hip hop but im more into EDM (trance, breaks, drum n bass, etc)
will the sz2000 be suitable for those genres? or are these mostly for the hip hop lovers (slower longer bass notes vs faster punchier bass notes in EDM)

and what does "veiled" mean? i heard some head-fi members say that the sz2000 is too veiled but not sure what that means.

thanks

Jan 4, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #3,123 of 12,991
  YO, i know most of you guys listen to a lot of rap/hip hop but im more into EDM (trance, breaks, drum n bass, etc)
will the sz2000 be suitable for those genres? or are these mostly for the hip hop lovers (slower longer bass notes vs faster punchier bass notes in EDM)

and what does "veiled" mean? i heard some head-fi members say that the sz2000 is too veiled but not sure what that means.

thanks

From the Head-Fi Describing Sound A Glossary

Veiled
 - Like a silk veil is over the speakers. Slight noise or distortion or slightly weak high frequencies. Loss of detail due to limited transparency.

Jan 4, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #3,125 of 12,991

ah i see... well that should be fixed with EQ

actually amp.

The veil of SZ are dual driver related as opposed to senn HD650 (for example) which are driver housing imbalance it seems.
You power out of it when the bass is separated from the mids and highs  totally. Happens at high gain.
The SZ high/mid driver is perfect if you go high gain. I do not know if the veil is able to be eq's at normal/low listening levels. I don't listen at that level

I listen to rock on open backs. Everything else is fine on my SZ but I may have brain burn? I do know you can pull the clarity into better focus with a higher gain and no eq as the whole floor is being raised with a gain push. I am too much of a fanboy to give an un-bias opinion though and I know it....so there's that too

Jan 4, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #3,126 of 12,991

ah i see... well that should be fixed with EQ

@gikigill wrote this in his review of the SZ2000:

Listening Notes

10050046.jpg

The SZ2000 offers prodigious with very well controlled delivery. Wearing these is like walking into a nightclub with a high quality PA setup – the bass is obvious and visceral, but not boomy or loose. I don’t consider myself a bass head, but I really enjoy the bass from these beasts.

With all that bass you would be forgiven for expecting a muddy or congested presentation, but the SZ2000 surprises here too. The soundstage is clear and defined, but intimate as you would expect from a closed can. In shape, the soundstage seems a bit triangular extending to the front and each side more than diagonally, but it’s still an enjoyable presentation and quite spacious for a closed phone.

Treble from the SZ2000 is detailed and clear, but a little rolled off. The end result is a fatigue-free listen that still offers plenty of detail. It’s actually pretty ideal treble balance for a bass-oriented can and reminds me of the presentation of nice mid-level speakers in a good listening room.

Mids are presented without any significant colouration, but there is a slight veil over the sound to my ears where the vocals don’t sound like I have the singer actually in front of me. Instead it sounds like the singer is behind a sheer curtain – not thick enough to obscure the clarity, but enough that the sound doesn’t reach me directly. It’s minor and only noticeable when I listen critically, but it’s there.

Jan 4, 2015 at 9:55 AM Post #3,127 of 12,991
thanks for that review

so i guess the sz2000s play almost all genres well so i shouldnt have a problem if i dont listen to that much hip hop (i hope)
one guy did say that these arent good for those who listen to mostly EDM so that had me kind worried

have you guys heard of FAKE versions of the sz2000? I got mine at a pretty good price, i hope thats not because they may be replica models.

cant wait to get these!!

Jan 4, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #3,128 of 12,991
  thanks for that review

so i guess the sz2000s play almost all genres well so i shouldnt have a problem if i dont listen to that much hip hop (i hope)
one guy did say that these arent good for those who listen to mostly EDM so that had me kind worried

have you guys heard of FAKE versions of the sz2000? I got mine at a pretty good price, i hope thats not because they may be replica models.

cant wait to get these!!

Paralysis by Analysis.

If you hear a buncha stuff you will develop an image and stuff anything into that box in your mind. It happens.

My wingman and thread co-founder  loves EDM and the Ultrasone Sig DJ .......and the poor man's sig DJ is the M-100 ...I believe he said that?
 We had another insane dude named pocket smiley who listened to all kinds including EDM with insane BPM  (Beats per minute) and he LOVED the SZ so it really depends on the listener.  Don't get too worked up about differing views. I don't know of any cans that are without that.

Jan 4, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #3,130 of 12,991

thanks

I gotta vouch for these with EDM. They're super energetic so synthesizers are silky smooth and fast. Any speed in tempo is done beautifully with the bass pounding at all times. I don't think  you will be disappointed with the E12 powering them. WITHOUT an amp is where these aren't impressive but they scale extremely well with one.

About them with all other genres, I listen to electronic music with these and hip hop obviously too but can't do rock, classical, anything else with these. You're in a club all the time with these. Listening to rock? Feels like you're standing next to the guitarist's amp in a club. Playing acoustic music? You're next to an amp in a club. Every single instrument has reverb and artifacts in the high frequencies, just not clear for those genres. The instrument separation here and image also makes most things stacked on top of each other and I can't tell individual instrument's position in the image. But that's not what I got them for so it doesn't matter because this works great for hip hop and any electronic music for me. I got other headphones and ciem's for that. I knew I wasn't gonna use these as all-rounders ahead of buying them.

So basically anything that can be made entirely with just a computer is a safe bet. Those that were disappointed might have been listening to these straight out of a phone or anything else without a dedicated amp.

Jan 4, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #3,132 of 12,991
Agreed that not enough power is not good for overall performance. I was meaning that for bass, it's not about chasing the most power output.

Well, the magical bass switch might be tied to the high power output of the e12 for all we know. Probably doesn't have to do with sacrificing life for the gods like one would think lol.

Jan 4, 2015 at 5:45 PM Post #3,133 of 12,991
Well, the magical bass switch might be tied to the high power output of the e12 for all we know. Probably doesn't have to do with sacrificing life for the gods like one would think lol.

Very well might be. I always assumed the EQ switches on the E11 and bass switch on the E12 manipulate the circuitry or something in order to affect the low end only. The reason I am skeptical that it would increase total power output is because when i have the bass boost off and then turn it on, the bass is tremendously boosted, but the overall sound is not very much louder. Idk. Who cares, as long as it works. Later on when I have money I want to try desktop amps and see what results I get.

Jan 4, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #3,134 of 12,991
  Yo HBB, what are your settings on the Cowon and E12 when not maxing out? Say when you're going to listen for a few hours.

Cowon volume stuck on 34
EQ flat
Mach3bass +8 or 9
BBE+8
 e12 gain adjust to desired level (bass boost switch is on and gain switch is on +16)

If I am going to listen for hours I might use the Headphone preset#1(?)  which is a "V" shaped sig....sounds like it anyway

Jan 4, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #3,135 of 12,991

thanks

Same boat, most with the SZ2K's listen to hip hop, but I listen to dub, trance, even Reggae and DnB. Sounds like they should be good with the genres though

USPS, What. It's been like a week and a half and my package with my SZ2000's is still in the same location, Fresno, jumping between what seems like every ******* usps facility in the whole damn city. Every time I call customer service, they are closed or I'm on hold for like 30 minutes. Holy ****, they better have not lost them or something. /rant

Users who are viewing this thread

Back