The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Oct 8, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #2,386 of 12,991
I'd like to add to the mix by saying that I am a fan of the Audio Technica ATH PRO700MK2. I have the PRO500MK and I like it for its bass,durability and isolation so I moved up to the 700 when I found a good deal on a used pair.

The stock pads on both suck but I tolerate the 500 and changed the pads on the 700 with pads from a pair of Streets' by 50. I am not a total bass head but I do appreciate the contrast with my Grado 225i.

Oct 8, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #2,387 of 12,991

I'm apparently a moron cuz I got no idea What multidirectional bass is?
It has an off/med/high switch?
confused.gif

Return the O2 since your a basshead or at least like Hip Hop....same think pretty much. I know the e12 has the power for the SZ and the bass boost is low in the sub-bass region so it's a good start.

If you have an iphone or ipad your set...******* SET!!!

They got an epic app that works very nicely with the e12 in the middle.

Your source is where most of the tweaking should go on and the amp should be boosting that tweaked signal and giving it a minor polish at most  before passing it to your headphones.
The e12 works so good because the sub-bass boost is light and low and is frosting on the cake. The meat of the tweak should be done before is gets boosted.

The e12 is a known and proven way to throw clean power at any can we have tested and work very good with the SZ.

That leaves the source/dac as the "?" This is kinda going backwards but since you got the pads and cans you already have the main piece. If you switch the amp you got 2 of 3 and then it's the source and that can be had via multiple avenues so no worry on that.

Like I said if you have an ipad (that would be ******* awesome) or iphone (that would be a slightly lighter shade of ******* awesome) we are already done.

I am in Japan so gotta sleep but these are facts/known points

1. You have epic/most videod bass cans on the ******* planet earth
  2. You fixed the weak point already (pads)
  3. Your maybe willing to switch the amp out
  4. The last part is maybe just software (******* algorithms ...) or at worse a DAP

Planet bass is right around the corner. 2pac and the gang are ******* waiting on you bru!
biggrin.gif

If you have an idevice you can find the exact beat and match the boost and really go stupid stuuuuupid crazy. The Cowon has this beat in overall but in specific track optimizing these 2 apps are nuts. Find it...boost it, save the slope...rinse and repeat. God help me but I find this to be fun as hell. I got OCD bro. I need to know where everything is including the bass hits so I can boost that stuff.

Is there a reason you recommend the e12 over the 17? I also would like to purchase an DAC. The e17 is a DAC + AMP with bass/treble/eq controls, and it is currently only $15 more on amazon. What do you think?

Oct 8, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #2,388 of 12,991
Dang, hahaha. Well, I'm using spotify for my music right now, streaming with "high quality". Is there no software built for synthesizing /equalizing music as a stand along program, that is not built into a music player? 

As said, Equalify works well with Spotify. It's integrated and even has a preamp you can boost up as well.

The desktop solution that may work well is a vintage amp. If you have the space an old Pioneer with tone controls and loudness will blow your mind. I'm surprised there is no talk about these beasts on this thread. I've done both portable and vintage desktop - no comparison. And no, I have no videos to back up my claim. :wink:

On the portable side, another amp to consider is the Arrow 3G. Not talked about here as its $200ish but had the best bass boost of the 6 portables I tried. Disclaimer - I did not try the E-12 and I'm sure it's awesome but the Arrow deserves some attention if the goal is continually looking for more and improvements aka kaizen. But if you want a desktop setup a vintage amp will surely give you what you want.

Just trying to offer a different perspective - new (old) ideas to add to the tried and true Cowon/E-12. :D

Oct 8, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #2,389 of 12,991
  Is there a reason you recommend the e12 over the 17? I also would like to purchase an DAC. The e17 is a DAC + AMP with bass/treble/eq controls, and it is currently only $15 more on amazon. What do you think?

I believe the power out max is lower than the O2 which was lower than the e12.

What it gains in convenience it loses is sheer brute force. Some folks have owned then sold the 17 and grabbed the 12. One of the folks doing the vids switched because he was getting different results just related to power.

Just my opinion but I like amps to do their job and as little else as possible. If anyone is pairing the 17 with a SZ and getting similar results I have not seen it or noticed it.

Oct 8, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #2,390 of 12,991
  Has there been a bass test on the sony z7?  I know Hawaii bad boy doesent like them.  The 70 mm drivers should be able to be eqed?  Has there been any tests on the mdr ma900?  The xb1000 is almost unobtainable.  I am very close to pulling the trigger on the ma900's as they seem to be dropping in price, maybe due to the z7. 

They coated a driver with a substance to decrease resonance and it worked. Bad news for bassheads and good news for everybody else. If you like fast decay and planar type bass you will like the speed if you like monster bass in volume and sensation you will not be pleased.

The XB1000 was the 70mm bass can and that's what it was pushed as. They do not push the Z7 as such because its not.

No biggie but not my thing.

Of course ati could come in here and show otherwise. I'd be cool with that as it would be another beast on a short list of beasts. I couldn't do it.

Oct 8, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #2,391 of 12,991
I'd like to add to the mix by saying that I am a fan of the Audio Technica ATH PRO700MK2. I have the PRO500MK and I like it for its bass,durability and isolation so I moved up to the 700 when I found a good deal on a used pair.

The stock pads on both suck but I tolerate the 500 and changed the pads on the 700 with pads from a pair of Streets' by 50. I am not a total bass head but I do appreciate the contrast with my Grado 225i.

Streets ...I got the Streets  DJ PRO and those pads are really soft...like noise canceling comfy. Can you take a pic of the 700 with street pads...please.

Oct 9, 2014 at 12:38 AM Post #2,393 of 12,991
I mostly own dj headphones which most of them are focused in bass and Ive tested a hole bunch the nicest bassy dj headphone IMO is teh HDJ 1500 from Pioneer ..

Best I tested  among the real dj cans were the 1500 you mention and the Allen & Heath with 53mm

Good stuff. I had to negative eq the highs to reach epic but they do slam when instructed to do so.

Oct 9, 2014 at 2:01 AM Post #2,395 of 12,991
As said, Equalify works well with Spotify. It's integrated and even has a preamp you can boost up as well.

The desktop solution that may work well is a vintage amp. If you have the space an old Pioneer with tone controls and loudness will blow your mind. I'm surprised there is no talk about these beasts on this thread. I've done both portable and vintage desktop - no comparison. And no, I have no videos to back up my claim.
wink.gif

On the portable side, another amp to consider is the Arrow 3G. Not talked about here as its $200ish but had the best bass boost of the 6 portables I tried. Disclaimer - I did not try the E-12 and I'm sure it's awesome but the Arrow deserves some attention if the goal is continually looking for more and improvements aka kaizen. But if you want a desktop setup a vintage amp will surely give you what you want.

Just trying to offer a different perspective - new (old) ideas to add to the tried and true Cowon/E-12.
biggrin.gif

tisk tisk... you know how it is around here.  No video means no truth :)

Oct 9, 2014 at 4:25 AM Post #2,397 of 12,991
Hey guys, I'm planning on building my own headphone that will hopefully be "the god of bass," but I need some helpful information. I am looking for the ultra-clarity that planars provide with the texturized mids and detailed (but non-piercing) treble of high end planars and also the air rumbling and massive air flow of big ass driver dynamics. The perfect endgame ideal for the insatiable basshead audiophile. Sound quality and earblasting bass. So in order to make this reality come true, I've acquired a pair of T50RPs and various 50mm drivers from different praised bassy headphones such as the Ultrasone DJ1 Pro, SigDJ, and Denon D2000. I am hoping to use some form of crossover to have the planar diaphragm of the T50RP dedicated to highs and mids while one set of the above 50mm basshead canon drivers completely dedicate themselves to low-end vibrations of my skull .I know playing around with venting and distortion will be even more difficult now that there will be 2 drivers - it's hard enough to dampen properly with just one. I'm posting here to ask if anyone has textbook style information on how the SZ2000s are implemented and also if anyone has experience building speakers or similar type of audio gear since this will literally just be small speaker system with 50mm subs that you can wear on your head. Thanks! 

Oct 9, 2014 at 4:56 AM Post #2,398 of 12,991
I'm really surprised when there is talk of headphone amps in this thread that Digizoid is not mentioned too often especially now since the Digizoid FS is out.For all you bassheads who like your headphones sound but just wish they had abit more bass should check the digizoid FS out.It's the only headphone amp + EQ (Can raise bass + treble) in one that I know of

Oct 9, 2014 at 6:01 AM Post #2,399 of 12,991
Streets ...I got the Streets  DJ PRO and those pads are really soft...like noise canceling comfy. Can you take a pic of the 700 with street pads...please.

Much more comfortable despite the clamping force and there is a better seal around my ears.

Oct 9, 2014 at 6:05 AM Post #2,400 of 12,991
Hey guys, I'm planning on building my own headphone that will hopefully be "the god of bass," but I need some helpful information. I am looking for the ultra-clarity that planars provide with the texturized mids and detailed (but non-piercing) treble of high end planars and also the air rumbling and massive air flow of big ass driver dynamics. The perfect endgame ideal for the insatiable basshead audiophile. Sound quality and earblasting bass. So in order to make this reality come true, I've acquired a pair of T50RPs and various 50mm drivers from different praised bassy headphones such as the Ultrasone DJ1 Pro, SigDJ, and Denon D2000. I am hoping to use some form of crossover to have the planar diaphragm of the T50RP dedicated to highs and mids while one set of the above 50mm basshead canon drivers completely dedicate themselves to low-end vibrations of my skull .I know playing around with venting and distortion will be even more difficult now that there will be 2 drivers - it's hard enough to dampen properly with just one. I'm posting here to ask if anyone has textbook style information on how the SZ2000s are implemented and also if anyone has experience building speakers or similar type of audio gear since this will literally just be small speaker system with 50mm subs that you can wear on your head. Thanks! 

A planar driver and 50mm driver? Wouldn't the result be a massive sized headphone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back