The Grado SR325i Appreciation Thread!
Feb 12, 2006 at 7:04 PM Post #46 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by dpippel
However, it REALLY bugs me that some people at Head-Fi simply cannot let VALID criticisms of Grado products slip past their radar without offering up their own dismissive and condescending commentary.
rolleyes.gif

Most of the time they are NOT VALID.

Feb 12, 2006 at 8:18 PM Post #48 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle
Most of the time they are NOT VALID.

Really. I see plenty of hard evidence backing up people's claims to the contrary on this forum, and nothing but attitude and opinionated defensive responses from you.
rolleyes.gif

Feb 13, 2006 at 12:34 AM Post #49 of 112
Senns and Grados compliment each other rather nicely. They are quite extreme in some respects, ie Grados are at the bright, in-your-face end and the Senns at the laid-back, dark, veiled end. The SR325i are soo good for stuff like Guns 'N Roses, Dire Straits, the Strokes, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, etc... I don't give a darn about what others say about the build quality because quite frankly, I think the SR325i is gorgeously built. One doesn't realise the plastic housing when they're on your head and I don't find the plastic housing a problem either!

Feb 13, 2006 at 3:30 AM Post #50 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotJeffBuckley
Disclose and reveal: what would you consider to be a "VALID" criticism, oh Defender of Grado Honor?

Poor value for money i.e. bad sound for the buck.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpippel
Really. I see plenty of hard evidence backing up people's claims to the contrary on this forum, and nothing but attitude and opinionated defensive responses from you.
rolleyes.gif

rolleyes.gif

Which tells you what?

I'll wait by the sidelines with my popcorn.

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
I think the SR325i is gorgeously built. One doesn't realise the plastic housing when they're on your head and I don't find the plastic housing a problem either!

You mean you're actually putting the Grados on your head and listening to music? For shame. You're supposed to stare at them all day, pick out flaws, post pictures and bitch.

Feb 13, 2006 at 3:53 AM Post #51 of 112
Quote:

You mean you're actually putting the Grados on your head and listening to music? For shame. You're supposed to stare at them all day, pick out flaws, post pictures and bitch.

HAHAHAHAH

Feb 13, 2006 at 6:43 AM Post #52 of 112
Quote:

Poor value for money i.e. bad sound for the buck.

If only how it sounds were the sole consideration that one can logically include in the list-o'-factors. Realistically, though, you have to consider factors like durability and appearance, especially when Grado is obviously interested in and capable of making durable, good-looking headphones but only for the really exhorbitant amounts of money. It's not fair to the customer to withhold basic considerations of durability and it's disingenuous to suggest that it's somehow okay for them to make only their $500+ headphones out of parts which cost more than $20 to produce.

The money has to be spent somewhere, and if it's all going to profit without any back to the consumer in the form of materials benefits we're all getting screwed and I hate to think that such a fine-sounding headphone would be the instrument through which a company fleeces me, because damn it they do sound amazing.

I'll end this derail on that note. Their sound is unimpeachable. It's great. For me, it's obviously great enough that I'm willing to forget about the other things, as I'm a happy Grado owner who recommends 'em when appropriate. I just hope they last long into the future!

Feb 13, 2006 at 12:37 PM Post #53 of 112
Quote:

Which tells you what?

When you belittle the legitimate complaints and concerns of others because you apparently think that you have a superior opinion, it seems pretty clear that you're arguing for the sake of argument.

Quote:

I'll wait by the sidelines with my popcorn.

Thanks for illustrating my point.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NotJeffBuckley
I'll end this derail on that note. Their sound is unimpeachable. It's great. For me, it's obviously great enough that I'm willing to forget about the other things, as I'm a happy Grado owner who recommends 'em when appropriate.

Ditto me on that. Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Feb 13, 2006 at 12:58 PM Post #54 of 112
Hmm, I'd say the prestige serie phones are bang for the buck.

The RS-1 and RS-2 (and HP-1/2 - PS-1) are too expensive for what they are IMHO, but they do sound great.

Well, the SR325i is still one of the best bang for the buck you can get IMHO, and probably in the top 3 of phones under 500 bucks.

Mar 12, 2006 at 1:35 PM Post #56 of 112
UPDATE

My SR325i have finally broken in today! I received them exactly 2 months ago and I believe I've put 500+ hours. Very recently, I noticed a tremendous change in my SR325i: the whole sound suddenly mellowed up, soundstage widened a little and the whole brightness issue has sort-of disappeared and I'm using the bowls! I also recieved my RnB Diamond Reference w/ upgraded connectors a few days ago. I believe the ALAC/Hornet/Diamond Reference/SR325i combo really works EXTREMELY well. The sound is oh-so-sweet! Absolutely amazing.

BTW, I'm using these phones for classical as well! How radical is that?! Who could've guessed that a burned-in grado could do so well for classical music? Deep bass, rich mids, excellent instrument separation, detailed highs.... These might almost make my HD650 redundant! Woodwinds sound so woody and natural, violins are very detailed and double basses can really be heard.

Sorry about the lack of structure of this post, but I am truly amazed at what these SR325i have become! Happy listening!

Currently listening to Beethoven Septet in E flat minor played by the Camerata Freden. They are relatively unknown, but their recordings are REDICULOUSLY well recorded!

Mar 12, 2006 at 4:19 PM Post #57 of 112
Does anyone know of a solid, detailed comparison of these phones vs. the MS2i? I'm highly considering getting one of the two pairs soon.

Mar 12, 2006 at 4:51 PM Post #58 of 112
Well, now that I am on the comeback trail again, and while my new Slam is being built, I am going out to get another set of 325i's next week. The 325i/Slam synergy is a glorious one!!
tongue.gif

Mar 12, 2006 at 5:50 PM Post #59 of 112
My demo pair from Drew should be here tomorrow
smily_headphones1.gif

I just wish a certain troll would shut the F up. We get it, you think Grados are the bestest thing ever. Not everyone else does. I've never used the ignore function on any forum I belong to but I'm about to. Perhaps the poster should take his own advice and just enjoy the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back