The Grado SR325i Appreciation Thread!
Feb 10, 2006 at 9:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 112

cheechoz

Headphoneus Supremus
Lets see, I first bought an MS-1 after joining Head-Fi, and was instantly struck by how wonderful they sounded. I moved along to the MS-2i, and again was amazed at the sound. The bug had hit, and it was a very painfull sting, because I went out and got an RS-1. Fantastic, just a musical presentation that's hard to explain, unless you have heard it. Well, eventually I ended up selling them to fund other headphone purchases. I ended up swapping my MS-2i for an SR325i, because I had a tube amp coming, and heard that tube amps really tame any bright or harsh highs.

As funds became tight again, I eventually sold the 325i, and any other Grado that I had, yes, I know, you're listening to them right now!
tongue.gif

I got very accustomed to the sound of my amp, and decided to give another go at the Grados. I fell in love with the 225's, as they handled rock almost as good as my RS-1 did. At this point, I didn't feel there was anything that could better the 225 for the price of them. After another unloading stint with what cans I had left, I ended up selling the 225 also! Does it ever end?
eek.gif

Now that things are settling down a bit for me, and I have spent a great deal of time with my PPX3-Slam, I felt that another Grado in the mid priced range would be just the ticket for me. I went into NYC to Harvey Electronics not knowing really what to get, but was worried that I'de walk out with some wood!
eek.gif

Turns out I picked up another SR325i, and got a great deal on them to. The synergy with my PPX3-Slam, is something that must be heard, rather then explained, pure bliss! I didn't think it would get much better than the 225, but I was mistaken! These 325i's are a tube lovers dream! So lets hear some 325 stories, and adventures of your own, and let's not get to overheated here children!
tongue.gif

Feb 10, 2006 at 9:55 PM Post #2 of 112
you forgot the "i" in your title, which may unintentionally mislead. You should change it before the time limit.

EDIT: Now that that's done . . the silver 325s were pretty good, nice coloration. Never tried the i version, but I can say they look like the upper portion of a soda/beer can.

Feb 11, 2006 at 12:02 AM Post #3 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
the silver 325s were pretty good, nice coloration. Never tried the i version, but I can say they look like the upper portion of a soda/beer can.

From what I've read here, the new 325i's are not to much different than the silver ones, as I think they have the same drivers. I actually like the way the silver ones looked!
icon10.gif

Feb 11, 2006 at 12:04 AM Post #4 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheechoz
From what I've read here, the new 325i's are not to much different than the silver ones, as I think they have the same drivers. I actually like the way the silver ones looked!
icon10.gif

Actually no they have different drivers but they are both very very bright headphones IMO.

Feb 11, 2006 at 3:55 AM Post #6 of 112
I'll have to listen to your phones and see how much better they are than these and the 880s and 650s. The price difference is bigger than with most manufacturers given the quaility of the SR-60s --- or I could be wrong. Enjoy!
580smile.gif

Feb 11, 2006 at 7:20 AM Post #7 of 112
Er...I love my MS-2i, close enough?
icon10.gif
I greatly enjoyed my SR-325, too, but the alessandro edged it out with just a little more exacting detail. MAN, these things can resolve!

Feb 11, 2006 at 7:28 AM Post #8 of 112
I think the real question for me, now, is the following:

I've got A900 and I've got SR-225. Do I go for an AT woodie or the Grado SR-325i/MS-2i next? I don't want the RS-1, frankly, because A) it's out of my pricerange and B) I really like the metal look.

Suggestions?

Feb 11, 2006 at 9:56 AM Post #9 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotJeffBuckley
I think the real question for me, now, is the following:

I've got A900 and I've got SR-225. Do I go for an AT woodie or the Grado SR-325i/MS-2i next? I don't want the RS-1, frankly, because A) it's out of my pricerange and B) I really like the metal look.

Suggestions?

My only concern about getting the 325i's, was the weight of them, but after a couple of days of playing around with the headband setting, I now find them to be pretty comfortable!

Upgrading to the 325i from the 225 was well worth it for me. I like the heavy solid build of them, and they also sound better to me. The detail is better, and the bass still slams like 225's. Everything is just much more clearer, and seperated nicely. Get a 325i, you won't look back!
icon10.gif

Feb 11, 2006 at 9:59 AM Post #10 of 112
When I first purchased 325i from a great Head-Fi-er, I thought I made a big mistake. It sounded too bright with my solid state amps/DAC (VHP-1, VDA-1, SR-71, MicroStack, etc.). Until I got a used XCan V2 with some nice Russian made 6922 tubes, I realized how much I enjoyed the sound of 325i. I (PinkFloyd) moded the XCanV2 and that tip the scale in favor for 325i over my Senn650 (selling). Now I have second moded XCanV2 and MS-2i on order.

Long story short...the tubed DAC/Amps pushed me towards the Grado camp, and 325i never sounded so good. It gets better and better over time.

Feb 11, 2006 at 10:39 AM Post #11 of 112
The 325i is the headphone that made me believe in burn in.When I first got them I thought they were the worse headphones I ever heard!Way to bright made my ears hurt.I really thought about sending them back to TTVJ.But after I got A Gilmore lite and put about 60 hours on them they changed completly,silky smooth midrange great bass.I still like my Senn 600s just a little bit better,but I think the 325i is a very special headphone.

Feb 11, 2006 at 1:46 PM Post #12 of 112
I have been running my new 325i for 40 hours now, and the bass is now better than the 225 was, and the treble has really mellowed out nicely! Overall, I am extremely content with this set of cans, as far as listening to toe tapping music is concerned!
tongue.gif

Feb 11, 2006 at 2:50 PM Post #14 of 112
I absolutely LOVE my SR325i! They are so beautifully crafted and have such a detailed, full sound. The bass is well controlled and extends to 20Hz (I've checked with single frequency files). Everything is brilliant, apart from the following things (this is not to say they are bad points):

very bright
mildy uncomfortable

The brightness actually isn't a big problem for most genres. The only (two) genres that probably doesn't work with SR325i is japanese pop and classical. Jpop is very bright and combined with the brightness of the Grados, is quite simply unbearable. The lack of soundstage, overall refinement and shrill-sounding violins/flutes/oboes make the SR325i too unatural and bright for classical music. I would recommend my HD650 for those purposes. Some people say a way around this problem is to use a warm tube amp, but since I only have the Hornet, which is not really warm, the SR325i still sounds bright.

There is a good thing about brightness though. My Dire Straits albums sound extremely nice, especially the electrical guitars! The SR325i are absolutely brilliant with electrical guitars!

All in all, they are very good. Rock has never sounded as good before! Compared to the HD650, they are much more forward and lack the veil that some find annoying. This veil is immediately realised when I do an ABA test. The veil is very good for classical music, but I prefer the raw, bright and relatively unrefined sound of the SR325i for rock. I can't decide which is better for jazz. Slow soothing jazz is better on the HD650, yet fast, punchy jazz will only sound crisp on the SR325i. I guess it really depends.

I will post A LOT of pictures in the near future because the SR325i is simply gorgeous

Feb 11, 2006 at 3:11 PM Post #15 of 112
I really like my 325i. Very detailed, fast, clear, unmuddy. Works very well with my PPA (w/ OPA627 opamps). Can sound bright with the wrong amplification and source music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back