The German Maestro GMP 8.35 D Monitor in the studio... serious about audio, INDEED!!
Aug 10, 2009 at 10:19 AM Post #91 of 1,132
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gonna wait for final judgements but it seems like it shares many of the HD 650 traits. smooth, not prone to sibilance whatsoever. Running the infamous R.E.M automatic for the people for example it´s hardly portraying sibilance at all in any of the GMPs. Yet I don´t feel like I am loosing that much detail otherwise as from the HD 650. I don´t own that anymore but it doesn´t sound quite as dark from my memory. Or my preferences have changed
smily_headphones1.gif
. Laid back, surely nothing that gets your head bumping. Relaxed headphones that feels a bit slow but have it´s own nice rhytm. Like waggle you to sleep. They truly never upset you anyway except for the soundstage not being up to par with the K701 or Pro 900 for example also on the 400.

It's funny you mention this. Headfi-er QQQ listened to my GMP 250 (with DT770 velour pads, taped at the back), and said this about them:
"Kinda HD 650 in some way, more smooth sound than DT 770, a pleasant for sure. All-in-all a headphone with no visible flaws, very natural sounding, much better than hyped Denons, etc. "

I can't tell, because I never listened to a HD650....

Aug 10, 2009 at 11:34 AM Post #92 of 1,132
And the review you linked to compared it to the HD 600 so I am not alone.
But these headphones have more then forgiveness going for them
smily_headphones1.gif

Much better then hyped Denons (fully markl modded d5000 fit the bill right?), Hd 650 and of course DT 770 I would say.

Aug 10, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #94 of 1,132
I tried the 8.35D monitors unamped straight out of my Essence ST line out. Very hard to spot any difference whatsoever
smily_headphones1.gif

This is not good. I am soon officially both a Pro 900 and GMP fanboy. I have also figured out that the 8.35D Monitor have some of the DX 1000 magic too but not the annoying colouration. Not quite as big soundstage either for that matter though. Will be very curious how the pads change things. Just hope it doesn´t thin out the sound to much.

Aug 10, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #95 of 1,132
Quote:

This is not good. I am soon officially both a Pro 900 and GMP fanboy.

That's odd
biggrin.gif

I really disliked the unmodded Pro900, but love my slightly modded GMT250....

Aug 10, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #96 of 1,132
Quote:

I tried the 8.35D monitors unamped straight out of my Essence ST line out. Very hard to spot any difference whatsoever
smily_headphones1.gif

This is not good. I am soon officially both a Pro 900 and GMP fanboy. I have also figured out that the 8.35D Monitor have some of the DX 1000 magic too but not the annoying colouration. Not quite as big soundstage either for that matter though. Will be very curious how the pads change things. Just hope it doesn´t thin out the sound to much.

It's funny, they will keep their sound signature. I've tried them out of tubes and SS amp, and the differences were 10 to 15% in the music quality or the hiss. On some quality tubes the singer's voice was more smooth and refined on the upper mids. Not much of a change in the low and high FR.

About the pads, the sound stage will open up and they will become brighter and highly detailed with a overall controlled sound. The brightness can be controlled very easy by adding a thin layer of foam or felt. Actually, you can determine the level of the brightness, which is really amazing. Right now, as you can see in the photo, the driver is fully exposed. The net just keeps particles from falling in. They can easily be compared to RS1 brightness, and I do love them fully bright, but I don't expect everyone to like it as bright as I do. That's the beauty of it, YOU are the one in control of it.
wink_face.gif

Aug 10, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #97 of 1,132
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's odd
biggrin.gif

I really disliked the unmodded Pro900, but love my slightly modded GMT250....

In your case, Tiemen, you're probably going to love the felt over the driver, because it makes it a little darker and closer to the ear. Still they have more power than the 250 and the reulting sound is a little more refined. They're 35 ohm vs. 100 ohm.

Aug 10, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #98 of 1,132
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In your case, Tiemen, you're probably going to love the felt over the driver, because it makes it a little darker and closer to the ear. Still they have more power than the 250 and the reulting sound is a little more refined. They're 35 ohm vs. 100 ohm.

I had the Pro900 on loan. In my opinion the GMP250 walked all over the bass bloated, sibilant and metallic sounding Pro900. Couldn't find any refinement on them. I never had such an instant dislike of a headphone as with the Pro900.

On the drivers of my GMT 250 I put a thick piece of felt, and that resulted in the wamer sound I was looking for
bigsmile_face.gif

Aug 11, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #99 of 1,132
What type of felt did you put in them
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 11, 2009 at 10:31 AM Post #100 of 1,132
Quote:

What type of felt did you put in them
smily_headphones1.gif

Hard to describe. They came with manufacture AKG earpads, I ordered from Ebay Germany.
Maybe it's not real felt......

Aug 17, 2009 at 8:25 PM Post #104 of 1,132
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's funny, they will keep their sound signature. I've tried them out of tubes and SS amp, and the differences were 10 to 15% in the music quality or the hiss. On some quality tubes the singer's voice was more smooth and refined on the upper mids. Not much of a change in the low and high FR.

About the pads, the sound stage will open up and they will become brighter and highly detailed with a overall controlled sound. The brightness can be controlled very easy by adding a thin layer of foam or felt. Actually, you can determine the level of the brightness, which is really amazing. Right now, as you can see in the photo, the driver is fully exposed. The net just keeps particles from falling in. They can easily be compared to RS1 brightness, and I do love them fully bright, but I don't expect everyone to like it as bright as I do. That's the beauty of it, YOU are the one in control of it.
wink_face.gif

lol are you trying to sell then on some kind of reversed KeeS mod.

I did get the pads now and no big comfort issues. Except for pleather makes your ears sweaty for a while. Worse now when they rest around my ears it seems. And my ear snibs don´t quite fit so they can hurt a little. That is with max clamping force for the best isolation. With a bit less no problem except for slightly sweaty ears. They still isolate well

They do become a bit brighter and better balanced. As you would expect with so much less felt in the way of the driver. Would be nice with velour pads or similar though but that may kill some of the great isolation of course. Noticed no ill effects at all thus far.

Aug 17, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #105 of 1,132
Quote:

lol are you trying to sell then on some kind of reversed KeeS mod.

I did get the pads now and no big comfort issues. Except for pleather makes your ears sweaty for a while. Worse now when they rest around my ears it seems. And my ear snibs don´t quite fit so they can hurt a little. That is with max clamping force for the best isolation. With a bit less no problem except for slightly sweaty ears. They still isolate well

They do become a bit brighter and better balanced. As you would expect with so much less felt in the way of the driver. Would be nice with velour pads or similar though but that may kill some of the great isolation of course. Noticed no ill effects at all thus far.

Hehe, they do sound like the reversed KeeS mod...how is the sound stage, do you feel some improvement? As well I found the bass to be more controlled, and the over all sound to be more detailed with better resolution.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back