The German Maestro GMP 8.35 D Monitor in the studio... serious about audio, INDEED!!
Oct 21, 2012 at 5:24 AM Post #572 of 1,132
The last few days I'm specifically blown away by their bass. It's not exaggerated, but with bass-rich music like Down or Henry's Funeral Shoe it's so deep and potent that it's freaking you out, in the best way possible.

But with lighter records you easily forget how dark and menacing they can be :D

Oct 21, 2012 at 6:32 AM Post #573 of 1,132
Quote:
The last few days I'm specifically blown away by their bass. It's not exaggerated, but with bass-rich music like Down or Henry's Funeral Shoe it's so deep and potent that it's freaking you out, in the best way possible.

But with lighter records you easily forget how dark and menacing they can be :D

Yes I love that too, so much definition in the bass! :) 

Something my newer sennheisher IE80s lack big time.

Oct 22, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #576 of 1,132
It sounds like these guys might just be similar to my older QP805 then, based on the low frequency response comments going around.

The 805 has gorgeous low end. Heavy, but doesn't bleed into the mids, and very well layered.  I do prefer my SP-1 over all (GMP450 Variant) but that's mostly for its high detail (without a glaring treble shelf), speed, and midrange.

When I want bass, I go QP805.

Oct 25, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #577 of 1,132
Quote:
It sounds like these guys might just be similar to my older QP805 then, based on the low frequency response comments going around.

The 805 has gorgeous low end. Heavy, but doesn't bleed into the mids, and very well layered.  I do prefer my SP-1 over all (GMP450 Variant) but that's mostly for its high detail (without a glaring treble shelf), speed, and midrange.

When I want bass, I go QP805.

I'm not familiar with 300ohm drivers of the 805, but in the past I had the QP 250 @ 100ohm and they needed a lot of power to drive them to the top. The 8.35 @ 35 ohm is a different beast with a lot of power a  under the hood, and without any need for hps amp... in away they still maintain the sound house of the QP/GMP but with more body and precision as studio monitor hps should be.

Oct 26, 2012 at 2:40 AM Post #578 of 1,132
Quote:

I'm not familiar with 300ohm drivers of the 805, but in the past I had the QP 250 @ 100ohm and they needed a lot of power to drive them to the top. The 8.35 @ 35 ohm is a different beast with a lot of power a  under the hood, and without any need for hps amp... in away they still maintain the sound house of the QP/GMP but with more body and precision as studio monitor hps should be.

Acix,

Both my SP-1 and QP805 need juice.

I'm still curious if the 300 ohm drivers are wired in series or parallel in the 805, as the badge on the side says "300x2".
I'm pretty confident the SUM impedance of the SP-1 is near 300 or 400Ohm (long story why, but there is evidence to suggest this based on some labeling found on the driver housing internally).

My ears say in series, because the 805 REALLY want a lot of power.  Thankfully, the D100 has plenty to spare.

Oct 26, 2012 at 2:43 AM Post #579 of 1,132
Acix,

I really think you should try the GMP 450 PRO or SP-1 if you want precision.  I do not doubt the 8.35's ability to be precise at all, as that is really what MB Quart/German Maestro really aims for in all of their sound equipment...

But really, the SP-1 is as honest as I've heard - external setups included.  Obviously, the high end external setups I have had experience with sound better, but not necessarily more "honest"

Oct 26, 2012 at 6:03 AM Post #580 of 1,132
Quote:
Acix,

I really think you should try the GMP 450 PRO or SP-1 if you want precision.  I do not doubt the 8.35's ability to be precise at all, as that is really what MB Quart/German Maestro really aims for in all of their sound equipment...

But really, the SP-1 is as honest as I've heard - external setups included.  Obviously, the high end external setups I have had experience with sound better, but not necessarily more "honest"

I think the precise sound is the QP/GMP sound house, I mean... even the QP 240/250 are super precise and balanced, superb for classic and studio.

Oct 29, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #581 of 1,132
I didn't like the previous cable, so I recabled it again!

The mogami cable was way too stiff for portable use, and the big jack plug wasn't practical either.

The cable is 1.5 meters long, it's reinforced with some metal like foil and very thin and bendy.
I also used a nice neutrik eight inch jack. It still sounds amazing, but it's much, much better for portable use!

Past Saturday I compared the gmp 8.35D to the Mad Dog, the HE-400 and HE-500.
In direct comparison to the Mad Dog, the Mad Dog did sound more natural, with a bigger soundstage. The GMp 8.35D actually sounded a bit artificial in direct comparison.
But I did think the gmp was more balanced, less bass and treble roll-off. They had about the same amount of detail and seperation, the Mad Dog did sound more natural, especially in the mids.

The HE-400 did show a better seperation and detail however, strangely enough it had about the same amount of sibilance (this is probably because it had the broken rev3 driver). The Mad Dog even showed sibilance in some songs! 

But yeah, I'm getting the HE-400, so the gmp will be my on-the-go headphone. Hooked to the hisoundaudio rocoo p, it has fantastic synergy.
I love it.

Nov 5, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #582 of 1,132
Quote:
With my mods I don't think they are sibilant, (I do hate sibilance) but they are bright.

Are they bright though? I thought if anything they were kinda darkish. They're definitely darker than MDR-7506. Well, maybe my rockboxed D2+ sounds dark (Rockbox is darker than the stock Cowon firmware). I guess I'm gonna have to check some other sources.
Damn, I was really thinking the 8.35s might have a good synergy with Hippo CriCri+. Then again, the Hippo is said to be a little grainy, and the GMs are pretty resolving. That said, they're anything but grainy themselves. So, er... 
confused.gif

P.S. As for mods, I'm really thinking of doing the headband. My cranium is tall and sharp, so the stock thing rests on the two middle sections of padding, which are rather small and leave nasty red marks.

Nov 6, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #583 of 1,132
Quote:
Are they bright though? I thought if anything they were kinda darkish. They're definitely darker than MDR-7506. Well, maybe my rockboxed D2+ sounds dark (Rockbox is darker than the stock Cowon firmware). I guess I'm gonna have to check some other sources.
Damn, I was really thinking the 8.35s might have a good synergy with Hippo CriCri+. Then again, the Hippo is said to be a little grainy, and the GMs are pretty resolving. That said, they're anything but grainy themselves. So, er... 
confused.gif

P.S. As for mods, I'm really thinking of doing the headband. My cranium is tall and sharp, so the stock thing rests on the two middle sections of padding, which are rather small and leave nasty red marks.

They are pretty bright with the oval pads yes, actually just plain sibilant. But after I did the paper mod, the sound was much smoother, and not sibilant, but still very detailed and extending.
I think the gmp 8.35D will sound good with pretty much anything you throw at them. It even sounds pretty good straight out of my iphone.

And how are you planning to re-shape the headband?

Nov 6, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #584 of 1,132
Quote:
They are pretty bright with the oval pads yes, actually just plain sibilant. But after I did the paper mod, the sound was much smoother, and not sibilant, but still very detailed and extending.
I think the gmp 8.35D will sound good with pretty much anything you throw at them. It even sounds pretty good straight out of my iphone.

And how are you planning to re-shape the headband?

Yes, yes, I did your mod, and for that I cannot thank you enough :) Thing is, the Cricri+ is described as bright, so it got me worried a little. But, yeah, I got a feeling that with any quality source the 8.35D will give you quality result :)

As for the headband, I'm still in the planning phase. Right now I'm thinking of something like Paradox Mod, but a) given how little vertical estate I have, it won't be easy to sort out the right length for the ribbon, and b) either way I'll have to do something about the cable between the cups. I'm definitely moving it above the metal band but I want to protect it somehow, be it with some hard packing foam, or some plastic, or anything.
Then I've got this wild notion to wrap it all in leather—the cable, the metal band and the ribbon—but I don't know if I'm going to be able to make it pretty. It's a complicated design and I have zero experience with leather.

Nov 6, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #585 of 1,132
Quote:
Yes, yes, I did your mod, and for that I cannot thank you enough :) Thing is, the Cricri+ is described as bright, so it got me worried a little. But, yeah, I got a feeling that with any quality source the 8.35D will give you quality result :)

As for the headband, I'm still in the planning phase. Right now I'm thinking of something like Paradox Mod, but a) given how little vertical estate I have, it won't be easy to sort out the right length for the ribbon, and b) either way I'll have to do something about the cable between the cups. I'm definitely moving it above the metal band but I want to protect it somehow, be it with some hard packing foam, or some plastic, or anything.
Then I've got this wild notion to wrap it all in leather—the cable, the metal band and the ribbon—but I don't know if I'm going to be able to make it pretty. It's a complicated design and I have zero experience with leather.

You really don't have to thank me for that, it's not like I invented it! 
If you don't like the cricri+ you can always buy the nova player from hisoundaudio.
The nova player from hisoundaudio will be 80 usd, yet it will still sound as great as the rocoo p only with an actual UI, and a custom EQ! Can't get any better than that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back