The German Maestro GMP 8.35 D Monitor in the studio... serious about audio, INDEED!!
Oct 16, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #557 of 1,132
Quote:
Yes you do :wink:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/602493/new-leckerton-uha-6s-mkii-portable-headphone-amplifier-announced-update-user-impressions-added-july-20th-2012

I wonder if it's possible to install some kind of connector while I'm at it (mind you, I'm not at it yet) like mini-jack maybe. Or if there's any disadvantage to that.

You can do whatever you want! That's the beauty of it! The only downside is that you can unplug the cable, which is also the upside. 

Oct 16, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #560 of 1,132
Quote:

I would like to know this to!
I think headfier donunus has heard and compared both, but I'm not sure where I've found this...
The DT250 250Ohms seems to be exactly what I'm looking for soundwise (but to good to be truth...) and isolation seems to be ok, but the channel imbalance issues I've read just get on my nerves... I'm not sure if I can trust Beyer to provide a well functioning unit taking into acount the ridiculous QC issues with their Tesla headphones!

lol, this will be on my FB page...but maybe he mentioned something here as well.

Oct 16, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #561 of 1,132
Quote:
What's with this sudden DT250 love?
When I entered Head-Fi, they were known for having no soundstage at all, dull sounding and uncomfortable because of small earpads.....

I don't recall them sounding at all dull, but the highs on the 80ohm version were pretty rolled off, if I recall correctly. I didn't need a closed phone at the time, so I sold mine and kept my k240DF which has better mids(though the Beyer wasn't bad by any means), sound stage, and quite a bit more treble. I can't speak for the 250ohm Beyer, but it's supposed to be better than the 80ohm version that I had.

Oct 17, 2012 at 4:16 AM Post #562 of 1,132
Quote:
You can do whatever you want! That's the beauty of it! The only downside is that you can unplug the cable, which is also the upside. 

One can think of numerous downsides and/or perils. Like, an extra jack/plug in the way would distort the signal. The job is more complicated, so more opportunity to do something wrong. You may end up changing geometry and acoustics of the left cup. And worst of all, having a jack would mean that now you have to have at least two cables to justify the trouble :)

Oct 17, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #563 of 1,132
Hey guys. Awesome thread. I'm seriously interested in these German Maestros but I have two issues based on the fact that when I use my full sized cans I do so for many hours in a row.

1) I hate sibiliance. I need something I can crank up at times and comfortably listen to for hours
2) I hate pleather. Again, its just not an option for me when it causes my ears to sweat after 1-2 hours

I really love my HD600s, they are close to perfect, and now I'm seriously considering getting the GMP 400 because I've heard it is a bit dark (i.e. not at all sibilant) and I love that it is open backed and has velour pads. Plus I'm a sucker for quality German engineering. :)

So what do you guys think? Would the GMP 400 be good for me? Would it compete with my HD600 in overall sound quality? It sounds like its a bit recessed in the mids compared to the HD600 but I think I can live with that.

Does anyone have any experience using the GMP 400 with a powerful amplifier? I have the Lake People G109 which has quite a bit of power. I think I've heard that the GMP 400 only really shines when adequately powered, is that true? I'm hoping my G109 can improve on the sound of the GMP 400 compared to what some others have reported in this thread.

And finally, do you think any of the other German Maestros might work well for me if I were to add velour pads to them?

Thanks guys.

Cheers,
Devin

Oct 17, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #564 of 1,132
Quote:
Hey guys. Awesome thread. I'm seriously interested in these German Maestros but I have two issues based on the fact that when I use my full sized cans I do so for many hours in a row.

1) I hate sibiliance. I need something I can crank up at times and comfortably listen to for hours
2) I hate pleather. Again, its just not an option for me when it causes my ears to sweat after 1-2 hours

I really love my HD600s, they are close to perfect, and now I'm seriously considering getting the GMP 400 because I've heard it is a bit dark (i.e. not at all sibilant) and I love that it is open backed and has velour pads. Plus I'm a sucker for quality German engineering. :)

So what do you guys think? Would the GMP 400 be good for me? Would it compete with my HD600 in overall sound quality? It sounds like its a bit recessed in the mids compared to the HD600 but I think I can live with that.

Does anyone have any experience using the GMP 400 with a powerful amplifier? I have the Lake People G109 which has quite a bit of power. I think I've heard that the GMP 400 only really shines when adequately powered, is that true? I'm hoping my G109 can improve on the sound of the GMP 400 compared to what some others have reported in this thread.

And finally, do you think any of the other German Maestros might work well for me if I were to add velour pads to them?

Thanks guys.

Cheers,
Devin

Maybe you should get both, the 400, and the 8.35, @ 35 ohm have no need for amp.

Oct 17, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #566 of 1,132

Maybe you should get both, the 400, and the 8.35, @ 35 ohm have no need for amp.

I guess another alternative would be the GMP 435s which is also 35Ohms and is open... devhen, I can't see why you need another HP if the Hd600 is almost perfect to you... maybe an upgrade to the HD650 would make more sense... Anyway, I own the GMP 400. In stock form, I don't hear the mids as particularly recessed, but I can't say how they compare to the HD600. Possibly the HD600 has more present mids. The uppermids of the 400 are a bit uneven which cause a slight tonal incoherence to my ears, but it's not to bad and can be corrected with modding. The 400 probably isn't as neutral as the HD600. I drive mine with a Yulong D100 which is not brilliant as an amp but I think it will take the G109 very gladly. IMHO, to really reach the full potential of this headphone modding is mandatory, there's just no way around it. Unfortunatelly it will require a lot of trial and error with driver damping and also either a big gain in weight on the earcups, which certainly won't be to everyone's neck, or an enclosure transplant. It's an old inefficient design - The earcups are just suspended in air by some elastics, this is good for comfort but bad for SQ because there won't be much in the way of mechanical damping. The earcups will vibrate when the big drivers work so there will be loss of sonic information. Also the stock driver damping is pathetic as it goes against the principles of a correct open design. My modded GMP400 now has my custom driver damping (which I'm still tweaking) and weights almost 2lbs - 1Kg... lol! the gain in SQ, though, justifies the extra weight.

Oct 17, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #568 of 1,132
Thanks for the information kkl10 I appreciate it.

Quote:
...devhen, I can't see why you need another HP if the Hd600 is almost perfect to you...

Who said I needed them? :D

Oct 18, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #569 of 1,132
Quote:

Thanks guys.

Cheers,
Devin

Not sure if the gmp 8.35D is the right model for you. With my mods I don't think they are sibilant, (I do hate sibilance) but they are bright. With fantastic detail, don't forget!
I can crank these puppies up big time, but I do need to cut a couple of decibels in the 6 khz area to soften the sound. I think the gmp 8.35D will sound even better with a tube amp!

Oct 18, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #570 of 1,132
Quote:

I guess another alternative would be the GMP 435s which is also 35Ohms and is open...

Yes, the 435 use the same driver as the 8.35 and they are a great alternative without hps amp. I had them almost a months and enjoyed them much, here more info: http://www.head-fi.org/t/438831/german-maestro-u-s-loan-program

Users who are viewing this thread

Back