The fun/v shaped club
Dec 2, 2011 at 2:54 AM Post #63 of 90
'Phones tend to vibrate a lot at 20Hz. That fopfopfop sound. You can feel the rumble w/ a test tone generator, but I doubt there's any metal songs that go that low. 

Dec 2, 2011 at 2:56 AM Post #64 of 90

Quote:
'Phones tend to vibrate a lot at 20Hz. That fopfopfop sound. You can feel the rumble w/ a test tone generator, but I doubt there's any metal songs that go that low. 

Nah, I'm not talking about metal songs. 
redface.gif

Dec 2, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #66 of 90
The fundamental frequency of an open B string on a 5-string bass (which is used a lot in metal) is 30.87hz.  It'll depend on the specific bass design, amp, and other settings for how much of the bass tone is the fundamental vs. the upper harmonics that you're hearing.  Also, some metal bands down-tune even lower than B, though it'd be rare to find one that actually reached or surpassed 20hz.

Dec 2, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #67 of 90

Quote:
^ If I wanted to listen to bass guitar, I'd go alt rock/british indie. 

Dno wdf you're all listening to. 

Metal's too fast paced for sub-bass. 

You can't hear anything below 20Hz.

Well apparently you don't like the METAL genre so you're biased against it.

I also mentioned fretless bass commonly used in Jazz/Fusion or even upright bass in traditional Jazz.

If the music has bass guitar in it you are listening to the bass guitar.

Otherwise your headphone/speaker isn't reproducing whats on the source.
wink.gif

Dec 2, 2011 at 12:29 PM Post #68 of 90

Quote:
The fundamental frequency of an open B string on a 5-string bass (which is used a lot in metal) is 30.87hz.  It'll depend on the specific bass design, amp, and other settings for how much of the bass tone is the fundamental vs. the upper harmonics that you're hearing.  Also, some metal bands down-tune even lower than B, though it'd be rare to find one that actually reached or surpassed 20hz.

Thank you.....someone that knows whats going on.
wink.gif

Dec 3, 2011 at 6:50 AM Post #69 of 90
I stand by the fact V shaped is best for metal.

Dec 3, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #70 of 90
I would say slight treble emphasis with boosted lower-mids for metal - which is pretty similar, but warm and snugglier sounding and stops the bass line giving me a headache
biggrin.gif

But hey, nice to see a whole thread of people understanding that coloured sound is great - as long as you admit it is coloured, as opposed to arguing that neutral sound is somehow wrong and broken.

Dec 4, 2011 at 3:10 AM Post #71 of 90

Quote:
I stand by the fact V shaped is best for metal.

Absolutely. It's also by far my favorite for drums. For me, nothing else can really capture the impact of the bass drum and the sparkle of the crashes at the same time.

Dec 4, 2011 at 3:25 AM Post #72 of 90
Bah, then it's all preference. 

For me, the guitar and vocals are more important than sub-bass and overall bass quantity.
So Grado's mid-bass hump is good enough for me. 

I don't don't like metal. I listen to it from time to time, but most of what I listen to atm, is rock. All types of rock.

I used to love A7X's old songs, but then my SR60 made me realise that their recordings suck. Their new songs
are okay... but I stopped listening to them because their lyrics began to sound very repetitive. Trivium's one of my fav
metal bands (inb4theyrenotmetal), I love the Roadrunner United All-Star Session album (by Roadrunner Records),
Slipknot, Led Zeppelin, from the top of my head. 

So no, I don't have anything against metal. What I meant was if I wanted to listen to bassier songs, I'd turn to
Arctic Monkeys, The White Stripes, Bloc Party, Spoon, etc. 

Dec 24, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #75 of 90
Bump for some v-shaped love - even the trebleheads are beating us with their post count!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back