The first balanced ultra-portable headphone amp in the world....
Jan 6, 2010 at 11:51 PM Post #181 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Samuels /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There will be one at the meet. But don't have the adaptor for other headphones, so it will be used with the IEMs cable that I have to drive all the custom IEMs that will be there.
Ray Samuels

Ray,
If you can send one connector to my cable guy, I'll have him make an adaptor for the meet. Lots of people will want to hear the amp with fullsize headphones. If you send me a PM I can give you the address.
Thanks.

But I should ask, what is the power output of this amp and can it drive HD800?

Jan 7, 2010 at 1:21 AM Post #182 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by aj-kun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
looking good ray.
sooo how long till we see a prototype with an intergrated DAC
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh yeah! An internal balanced DAC, even if only USB, would push me over the edge.
smile_phones.gif

Jan 7, 2010 at 1:35 AM Post #183 of 902
Integrated (balanced or not) DAC would definitely be nice and add one more potential buyer! Regardless, beautiful work Ray as always!

Jan 7, 2010 at 5:21 AM Post #184 of 902
So the second jack would be for single ended 3.5mm headphones?
This amp can produce both single ended and balanced outputs at the same time? Quite an innovation...meeting the needs of users both casual and serious.

Very interesting. Interesting indeed. Just when you thought it couldn't get any better. The other amp builders are probably wonder how to counteract this unique move. But this will go in the books as the first (not counting the Stax mentioned B4).
lease put me on the pre-order list, my Ray Samuels closet needs a new addition. The Shadow is lonely on it's own shelf
tongue.gif

Jan 7, 2010 at 5:35 AM Post #185 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The other amp builders are probably wonder how to counteract this unique move. But this will go in the books as the first (not counting the Stax mentioned B4).

Other people have been talking about doing a balanced portable amp for a long time now. I'm surprised it took this long to actually come out with one. Ray is sure to get lots of sales from it. I'm hoping it has dual power supplies.

Jan 7, 2010 at 8:33 AM Post #186 of 902
Any hints on when this baby will be released?
tongue.gif

Jan 7, 2010 at 3:17 PM Post #187 of 902
Quote:

This amp can produce both single ended and balanced outputs at the same time? Quite an innovation...meeting the needs of users both casual and serious.

Ray,

How does the sound of this amp vary from the shadow in terms of 3.5mm?

Jan 7, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #188 of 902
I have the same question. I hope the protector is every bit as good as the Mustang, shadow or the SR71 etc in terms of SQ beside being a balance amp.

Jan 8, 2010 at 11:50 AM Post #189 of 902
Wowee. This is fabulous.

Subbed... this is on my short to buy list for when I get more monies...

Jerry Harvey if you're reading this, I would also buy a JH13 with a balanced cable pre-installed to go along with this. Would pay $100 premium for the balanced cable too.

Jan 8, 2010 at 2:03 PM Post #190 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by BaboonGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wowee. This is fabulous.

Jerry Harvey if you're reading this, I would also buy a JH13 with a balanced cable pre-installed to go along with this. Would pay $100 premium for the balanced cable too.

seriously - $100 premium for a connector that costs a few dollars....................

Jan 8, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #191 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by BaboonGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wowee. This is fabulous.

Might as well just get Craigs balanced TWag cable since single ended it already destroys the stock cable and in comparison makes it sound like rubbish :p

Jan 9, 2010 at 3:15 AM Post #192 of 902
Quote:

Originally Posted by aj-kun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
seriously - $100 premium for a connector that costs a few dollars....................

It's not for the connector alone. They have to change the design of the cable completely since the stock cable can't be terminated to balanced.

Jan 9, 2010 at 3:23 AM Post #194 of 902
Quote:

Very interesting. Interesting indeed. Just when you thought it couldn't get any better. The other amp builders are probably wonder how to counteract this unique move. But this will go in the books as the first (not counting the Stax mentioned B4).
lease put me on the pre-order list, my Ray Samuels closet needs a new addition. The Shadow is lonely on it's own shelf
tongue.gif

Aaron, if you look at the pic on the first post, it looks like it is impossible to output both balanced and SE at the same time due to how the jacks are placed. I dont know if that is the final layout but thats what it looks like to me

Jan 9, 2010 at 4:23 AM Post #195 of 902
That is absolutely right. Talked to Ray about that and he said he designed it so that both outputs are NOT used at the same time. Use them one at a time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back