The Fiio X5 Thread
Nov 28, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #13,891 of 19,652
Is this true?! does the OTG function work for you?

Also does it affect battery life for u much to connect an usb powered flash drive?

Yes, it does work. I would not post this if I wasn't actually using a PNY. It's the only flash stick currently confirmed to work for x5, at least as far as what I have gleaned from this thread. It does affect battery life. I get around 30% less battery when going off the usb stick. This may vary depending on how often you change songs, use the display. Still, it's worth it if you want to access more music. I will probably buy another one since they're so cheap right now and then I'll be able to get most of my collection on two USB sticks. They are also a lot easier to hook up to your computer when you need to transfer files.

Nov 28, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #13,892 of 19,652
I tried my old 512 mb usb stick, an 1.5 tb drive but those don't work. xD So I was thinking the OTG function itself wouldnt work.
Hmm interesting...
There not being sold in my country however for those price.. would have to get it from ebay then.. but probably would need to pay some tax as im importing it fromt he us -_-  so it would cost me around 80-90dollar. but still worth it I guess. Now you made me enthiousiastic.
Though only 1 left on ebay lol!! Can only buy them 1.5 month from now, hope they restock.

It would be better if Fiio just added support for my 1.5 TB HDD!!
Does the USB flash drive you use, while in pocket/jacket disconnect easily? U moving around and all..

Nov 28, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #13,893 of 19,652
I tried my old 512 mb usb stick, an 1.5 tb drive but those don't work. xD So I was thinking the OTG function itself wouldnt work.

Hmm interesting...

There not being sold in my country however for those price.. would have to get it from ebay then.. but probably would need to pay some tax as im importing it fromt he us -_-  so it would cost me around 80-90dollar. but still worth it I guess. Now you made me enthiousiastic.

Though only 1 left on ebay lol!! Can only buy them 1.5 month from now, hope they restock.

It would be better if Fiio just added support for my 1.5 TB HDD!!

Does the USB flash drive you use, while in pocket/jacket disconnect easily? U moving around and all..

I have not had any problems with disconnection. It's always in my pocket with headphone jack facing downward.

Nov 29, 2014 at 4:24 AM Post #13,896 of 19,652
  Just got mine..
Forgive me but what is the white minisd reader for?

Mine also came with firmware 2.3 installed

It is a microsd reader, in care you own a computer and you don't have microsd to usb adapters... to write to microsd from computer, without having to use x5 to write [while using it as a DAC]..

I am curious about your experience with x5!

Nov 29, 2014 at 5:27 AM Post #13,897 of 19,652
  It is a microsd reader, in care you own a computer and you don't have microsd to usb adapters... to write to microsd from computer, without having to use x5 to write [while using it as a DAC]..

I am curious about your experience with x5!

Thanks.
I'm a basshead with an affinity to flashback to 70's rock...so I am making some folders and looking for my  pirated .flac files....
tongue.gif

j/k I would never ever ever double hit before passing the bong   whooops    I'll be leting ya'll know. Bob Marley sounded epic in.flac without an amp...but my e12 is charging for the bass test so.yeah I'll be letting folks know.

Nov 29, 2014 at 5:52 AM Post #13,898 of 19,652
my e12 is charging for the bass test so.yeah I'll be letting folks know.

X5 + E12 = Bass Monster!!!
The boost brings the sub-bass to life in a way I've never heard before...
I love it with my RTi1, but with with my V6S it's often too much for my ears
biggrin.gif

Nov 29, 2014 at 6:13 AM Post #13,899 of 19,652
Yes, it does work. I would not post this if I wasn't actually using a PNY. It's the only flash stick currently confirmed to work for x5, at least as far as what I have gleaned from this thread. It does affect battery life. I get around 30% less battery when going off the usb stick. This may vary depending on how often you change songs, use the display. Still, it's worth it if you want to access more music. I will probably buy another one since they're so cheap right now and then I'll be able to get most of my collection on two USB sticks. They are also a lot easier to hook up to your computer when you need to transfer files.

Others have confirmed that some Sandisk models will work. I use the Ultra Fit USB 3.0 64GB and I have also linked a couple of microSD card readers in previous posts. One of them was a Sandisk USB 3.0. They are great for easy transfer of files from PC and work well OTG.
So far I think your PNY is the lagest capacity device confirmed to work with X5.
It would be really useful if everyone chips in to say what does and doesn't work - maybe a separate thread?

Nov 29, 2014 at 7:27 AM Post #13,900 of 19,652
A much cheaper, more portable OTG option is to buy PNY 256 gb flash drives, as they are currently $69 on Amazon. I have one and can confirm it works with x5.

Ps - how do I add a photo? Do they all need to be url's? Can't upload photo directly from ipad?

Thanks, i would have bought one of those but i wanted more than 256gb on the OTG. The integral fits behind the X5 quite neatly using the stacking kit and gave me a whole 512gb. Will post a picture when i get organised.

Nov 29, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #13,902 of 19,652
They were the only ones I found with good prices. Amazon runs 349, I had not seen it anywhere else for 300. I ordered one when they first posted on the 21st for 299. So far all I have had was an email that said "processing". So, I don't know how long I will have to wait. I hope it will arrive before christmas?

Nov 29, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #13,904 of 19,652
Have you guys found a case that works with the stacking unit? I have had this thing since they first came out and never use it because I hate to pocket carry with no case

Users who are viewing this thread

Back