The Fiio X5 Thread
Oct 6, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #12,901 of 19,652
Oct 6, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #12,902 of 19,652
  I was born in the 40s.  Old.  I saw President Eisenhower give a speech during his first term!!!  And I knew what the words meant (well, sorta- he WAS a politician).  Old.  When I listen to oldies, they aren't.
dt880smile.png
  I'm so old, my family didn't have a TV set, it was called radio.  Old.  And my record player played 78s.  Old.  I'm so old I forgot what I was writing about..... oh, yeah.  Old.

OK, can't beat that
biggrin.gif

May you live (while keeping your great sense of humor) and enjoy your X5 for many years to come...
beerchug.gif

Oct 6, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #12,903 of 19,652
Indeed. Cheers.

I thought I was a lot older than a lot of the young whippersnappers here on head-fi. However you have around 3 decades or better on me as I was born in '77.

Live long and prosper old dude.

Oct 6, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #12,904 of 19,652
  I guess the E12DIY is a harder sell considering its cheaper E12 alternative. 

So far i've heard the E12DIY brand new (with stock opamp buffers), sounds as good as a well burned in E12. 
Can imagine it'll only get better with more use.

IMO, the E12DIY is definitely worth its weight and price. Also a great pairing with the Fiio X5. 
So much so, am in no hurry to change my dap combo. I can wait till next year's X7. :)

Surprising, I thought the DIY edition will be the easier to sell one here...

Oct 6, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #12,905 of 19,652
Surprising, I thought the DIY edition will be the easier to sell one here...

The E12DIY is a niche product of a niche product group of a niche hobby.
the hobby being audiophilia
The niche group being portable amplifiers
The niche product being a modable portable amplifier.

If more people knew how much better these $500 IEMs were, prices would drop, and head-fi would be out of a job :p

Oct 6, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #12,907 of 19,652
The E12DIY is a niche product of a niche product group of a niche hobby.
the hobby being audiophilia
The niche group being portable amplifiers
The niche product being a modable portable amplifier.

If more people knew how much better these $500 IEMs were, prices would drop, and head-fi would be out of a job :p

Now I get it :D

Oct 6, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #12,908 of 19,652
Kerouac: "so you probably made a wise decision for an old (guess I'm even older) dude."  If I had candles on my birthday cake, there wouldn't be room for the cake.  I'm so old ("how old ARE you?") that I passed the minimum age for Social Security some years ago.  I recently figured out that I'm the oldest teacher at my school (2nd career).  I'm so old I can't pretend I'm not old..  I'm just freakin' old! 
normal_smile%20.gif

Hey man,
Like,
What was Woodstock REALLY like?
Was it groovy?
Far out?
A real trip?

Oct 6, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #12,909 of 19,652
Hey man,
Like,
What was Woodstock REALLY like?
Was it groovy?
Far out?
A real trip?

Woodstock?  Woodstock?  That was for latecomers and wannabes.  Try the Human Be-In in San Francisco, January 1967.  Though i also went to Altamont, The two kinda bookmarked the era, the start and the finish.  The Haight in 1964 changed to the Haight in 1965 changed to the HAIGHT!!!! in 1966.  It was like being in the Roaring 20s.  First there was nothing, then there was something, and then there was SOMETHING, and then it all fell apart.  Though 1966 was really quite amazing.  I was 19, and I had a LOT of fun.  You kids don't know what fun is.  
rolleyes.gif

Oct 6, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #12,910 of 19,652

Woodstock?  Woodstock?  That was for latecomers and wannabes.  Try the Human Be-In in San Francisco, January 1967.  Though i also went to Altamont, The two kinda bookmarked the era, the start and the finish.  The Haight in 1964 changed to the Haight in 1965 changed to the HAIGHT!!!! in 1966.  It was like being in the Roaring 20s.  First there was nothing, then there was something, and then there was SOMETHING, and then it all fell apart.  Though 1966 was really quite amazing.  I was 19, and I had a LOT of fun.  You kids don't know what fun is.  
rolleyes.gif

I was there in '66, stayed at crashpads and listened over and over to Mothers of Invention "Freakout" album and Donovan's Sunshine Superman. But psychedelics made me weak and so I didn't really get to enjoy it all very much, to be honest. I'm enjoying myself much better now at 69y/o b/c I've taken responsibility for my own health, Frack the Doctors. And don't think that hasn't affected my hearing, it has! Earwax or no earwax, lol. Gonna really be enjoying my X5 soon b/c I'll be proud owner of a K10! Heck, I'm enjoying it now with my UM-modded TF10. It's so good now that it's kind of unbelievable to me that it could get much better, but I'm open, even if my wallet loses weight!

Oct 6, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #12,912 of 19,652
I think the word is "hope."  The world was changing, even with the war going on, and we thought it was going to get better.  Well, it really didn't, but the next generations got lots of personal liberties we had to fight for (hair as you like it, clothes as you like it, jobs of your choice, more open sexuality of your choice, no Draft, etc.).  So I guess it was worth it.  

I didn't need to stay in crash pads, I lived just across the Golden Gate Bridge, had access to the bands because a lot of them lived near me or grew up with me.  There was a sense of community that the Time-Life series really doesn't show.  
angry_face.gif
 And I watched what I took, so avoided burnout like most of my friends.  LSD is not your friend, kids.  Nor, of course, is Meth, which took over the "scene" by 1968.  Oh, and I tried Donovan's banana concept.  Harsh throat, no high.  It was a bummer, man.  

BTW, Rip, I saw Zappa at a show in maybe 1970, he sang a really nice song about how groupies are bad.  I was back in the dressing room after the show and saw him pick out the prettiest one and go home with her.  Feet of clay, feet of clay.

However, much of the music lives on, and I still listen to it today.  Sounds really good on my X5 (see, I brought us back around to the thread).    

Oct 6, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #12,914 of 19,652
Guys need suggestion i am trying to use x5 as usb dac for my samsung note 10.1 2014 tablet and the problem i see is that audio format jumping back and forth from 48KHz/24bits to 192KHz/24bits. Is this setting issue or cable.

Oct 7, 2014 at 2:44 AM Post #12,915 of 19,652
  Guys need suggestion i am trying to use x5 as usb dac for my samsung note 10.1 2014 tablet and the problem i see is that audio format jumping back and forth from 48KHz/24bits to 192KHz/24bits. Is this setting issue or cable.

It might be a lack of driver - what OS does the Note use?

Have you got an alternate cable you can use?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back