The Fiio X5 Thread
May 23, 2014 at 2:26 AM Post #9,631 of 19,652
How's it going guys?

Just like you guys to know we are still keeping up with the thread.

Regarding the current status of the firmware... I do understand where the complaints are coming from. It is by no means bug-free and can trip up people using the X5 in "unfortunate" use cases. However I would like to think we have come a long way since version 1.10, or 1.00 for that matter :xf_eek:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/707751/official-plans-for-firmware-updates-for-the-x5-after-version-1-10-1-20-and-2-00-updated-7-may-2014

As others have pointed out, our current development cycle is going back to the X3, which has gone for too long without a firmware update. As soon as the version 3 firmware for the X3 is released we can go back to attending to both the X3 and X5 in equal measure. :)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 23, 2014 at 2:28 AM Post #9,632 of 19,652
How's it going guys?

Regarding the current status of the firmware... I do understand where the complaints are coming from. It is by no means bug-free and can trip up people using the X5 in "unfortunate" use cases. However I would like to think we have come a long way since version 1.10, or 1.00 for that matter
redface.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/707751/official-plans-for-firmware-updates-for-the-x5-after-version-1-10-1-20-and-2-00-updated-7-may-2014

As others have pointed out, our current development cycle is going back to the X3, which has gone for too long without a firmware update. As soon as the version 3 firmware for the X3 is released we can go back to attending to both the X3 and X5 in equal measure.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm on 1.00 and quite happy as is :wink:...

May 23, 2014 at 2:42 AM Post #9,633 of 19,652
Can someone tell me what a "Reputation" is as I have has some and don't know why.

Many thanks to all.

May 23, 2014 at 2:49 AM Post #9,634 of 19,652
How's it going guys?

Regarding the current status of the firmware... I do understand where the complaints are coming from. It is by no means bug-free and can trip up people using the X5 in "unfortunate" use cases. However I would like to think we have come a long way since version 1.10, or 1.00 for that matter :xf_eek:

As others have pointed out, our current development cycle is going back to the X3, which has gone for too long without a firmware update. As soon as the version 3 firmware for the X3 is released we can go back to attending to both the X3 and X5 in equal measure. :)

Thanks for the update Joe!

May 23, 2014 at 2:53 AM Post #9,635 of 19,652
Can someone tell me what a "Reputation" is as I have has some and don't know why.

Many thanks to all.

Just means someone clicked that little thumbs up button at the bottom right because they found your post helpful/funny/insightful, etc.

May 23, 2014 at 2:58 AM Post #9,636 of 19,652

Many thanks to all.

Just means someone clicked that little thumbs up button at the bottom right because they found your post helpful/funny/insightful, etc.

Thanks my friend :blush:

May 23, 2014 at 4:07 AM Post #9,637 of 19,652

Many thanks to all.

I was wondering the exact same thing a couple of week ago. Meant to ask here, but never got to it .... Too busy enjoying my X5 every chance I get.

Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks to the both of you for giving me an answer to my question.

May 23, 2014 at 4:36 AM Post #9,638 of 19,652
How's it going guys?

Hi Joe,

Good to see you again, and thanks for this update!

Are you feeling better yet?

May 23, 2014 at 5:56 AM Post #9,639 of 19,652
How's it going guys?

Regarding the current status of the firmware... I do understand where the complaints are coming from. It is by no means bug-free and can trip up people using the X5 in "unfortunate" use cases. However I would like to think we have come a long way since version 1.10, or 1.00 for that matter
redface.gif

As others have pointed out, our current development cycle is going back to the X3, which has gone for too long without a firmware update. As soon as the version 3 firmware for the X3 is released we can go back to attending to both the X3 and X5 in equal measure.
smily_headphones1.gif

Hey Joe,

Love your work, love you too!! All you dudes @ FIIO thanks for the X5, luvin' it.

May 23, 2014 at 6:07 AM Post #9,640 of 19,652
Hey guys
I have a weird question. Did anybody have a chance to listen to Schiit modi? I need to choose between X5 and modi. and the important factor is only the dac section of two. I've already have modi and I need to know is it reasonable to sell modi and buy x5?

thanks

May 23, 2014 at 6:39 AM Post #9,641 of 19,652
Not sure if they work with the X5 but if anyone is interested in testing: 32GB 380G USB On-the-Go JetFlash Flash Drive

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Transcend-32GB-JetFlash-Flash-Drive/dp/B00GXYKWFK/ref=sr_1_3?m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1400841295&sr=1-3

May 23, 2014 at 8:34 AM Post #9,642 of 19,652
Hey guys
I have a weird question. Did anybody have a chance to listen to Schiit modi? I need to choose between X5 and modi. and the important factor is only the dac section of two. I've already have modi and I need to know is it reasonable to sell modi and buy x5?

thanks

I would keep the modi as a desktop dac for headphones and/or speakers, and use the x5 for on-the-go. (That's actually my ideal set up)

May 23, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #9,643 of 19,652
I've had my X5 for about a month and being a geek and audiophile I've done my best to keep up to date with the latest firmware releases. I'm currently on v2.0 and have been highly delighted with the sound of the X5... that is up until the last few days when I've been noticing some sound problems that seem to be getting worse.

DSD files now seem to have developed random pops and clicks. 24-88/96/176/192 FLAC files are now developing random (and non-repeatable, at least not deliberately) 'stuttering'. Standard 16-44 FLAC and MP3s seem unaffected.

Initially it only happened occasionally. Now it happens with every hi-res file played, and several times within each file.

I've gone back and tried v1.3, v1.7 and v2.0 firmwares to see if that made any difference, alas no.

So do any of the experts here know if I have a solvable problem or is this a contact Fiio moment?

Cheers.

May 23, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #9,644 of 19,652
I've had my X5 for about a month and being a geek and audiophile I've done my best to keep up to date with the latest firmware releases. I'm currently on v2.0 and have been highly delighted with the sound of the X5... that is up until the last few days when I've been noticing some sound problems that seem to be getting worse.

DSD files now seem to have developed random pops and clicks. 24-88/96/176/192 FLAC files are now developing random (and non-repeatable, at least not deliberately) 'stuttering'. Standard 16-44 FLAC and MP3s seem unaffected.

Initially it only happened occasionally. Now it happens with every hi-res file played, and several times within each file.

I've gone back and tried v1.3, v1.7 and v2.0 firmwares to see if that made any difference, alas no.

So do any of the experts here know if I have a solvable problem or is this a contact Fiio moment?

Cheers.

Tried a settings reset?

May 23, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #9,645 of 19,652

Cheers.

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Scroll down to "192khz comsidered harmful"

X5 can't play them well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back