The Fiio X5 Thread
Apr 30, 2014 at 2:45 PM Post #8,191 of 19,652
I had the same feeling at first.  It took a few weeks for mine to get smoother at the high end and extend the bass.  Also make sure you install the new firmware that just came out: version 2.00

Thanks for that, the first thing I done after charging the X5 was to install FW 2.0.

I will have to wait and see what the outcome is with my fingers crossed.

Apr 30, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #8,193 of 19,652
I wonder what FiiO thinks about solid state hardware "burn in"? (I don't recall seeing anything posted by them on this subject) IMO, its is the perceived result of ones brain acclimating to a new sound signature and has precisely nothing to do with hardware becoming more "tempered" through usage.

In other matters; gapless playback (my library on the X5 is almost entirely FLAC, FYI)is now flawless. Once again, it is possible to listen to "concept albums" as intended. Kudos, FiiO.

Apr 30, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #8,194 of 19,652
Hey guys, do I lose something activating gap less ?

I mean, by default gap less isn't activated, I'm not a user who will use a lot this function, will, for example, tracks load faster on shuffle mode if gap less isn't activated? Why do we have the choice? Thank you.

Apr 30, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #8,195 of 19,652
Hmm, gapless playback became broken with the installation of fw 2.0 for me :frowning2: Everything was fine with 1.20 and 1.23

Can you please elaborate.

Hey guys, do I lose something activating gap less ?

I mean, by default gap less isn't activated, I'm not a user who will use a lot this function, will, for example, tracks load faster on shuffle mode if gap less isn't activated? Why do we have the choice? Thank you.

Great question! Any solid answers?

Apr 30, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #8,196 of 19,652

In other matters; gapless playback (my library on the X5 is almost entirely FLAC, FYI)is now flawless. Once again, it is possible to listen to "concept albums" as intended. Kudos, FiiO.

It's really weird that someone report that gapless works fine now, while others have problems with it with the new firmware. Any thoughts?

Apr 30, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #8,197 of 19,652
It's really weird that someone report that gapless works fine now, while others have problems with it with the new firmware. Any thoughts?

I'm on FW 2.0, have Gapless enabled, and I do hear an audible click in between tracks which should be seamless. There isn't any gap, per se - just the quiet click. Is this what you're experiencing?

Apr 30, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #8,200 of 19,652
I'm on FW 2.0, have Gapless enabled, and I do hear an audible click in between tracks which should be seamless. There isn't any gap, per se - just the quiet click. Is this what you're experiencing?

I have no trouble with gapless since v2.0 anymore. Mostly have FLAC 16bit 44.1Khz. doesn't seem to slow down the device either.

Apr 30, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #8,201 of 19,652

Mine has an audible click when I first turn it on (always) and when I first start to play an album (sometimes,) but not in between tracks.  Odd.

Apr 30, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #8,202 of 19,652
Mine has an audible click when I first turn it on (always) and when I first start to play an album (sometimes,) but not in between tracks.  Odd.

It's very subtle, but now that I've noticed it I can usually pick it out. Nothing I'm going off on a rant about or anything. I'm very satisfied overall so far with the X5. Just need some down time to compare the X3 with 2.14beta, X5 with 2.0, and DX90 using my HE-400 and DBA02 (or Dunu DN1K, which should be in my greedy little hands by end of week).

Apr 30, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #8,204 of 19,652
  I wonder what FiiO thinks about solid state hardware "burn in"? (I don't recall seeing anything posted by them on this subject) IMO, its is the perceived result of ones brain acclimating to a new sound signature and has precisely nothing to do with hardware becoming more "tempered" through usage.

Two weeks ago I would have agreed with you.  I used to roll my eyes at the idea of SS burn-in.   However I noticed a substantial change when comparing my iPhone (old source) compared to my new X5 over the course of 2 weeks.  Originally the X5 had less bass than my eq'ed iPhone, now it has more.  That is not getting used to the sound.  It is a relative A/B difference that changes over time.

I understand your skepticism.  I was the same.

Apr 30, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #8,205 of 19,652
  Two weeks ago I would have agreed with you.  I used to roll my eyes at the idea of SS burn-in.   However I noticed a substantial change when comparing my iPhone (old source) compared to my new X5 over the course of 2 weeks.  Originally the X5 had less bass than my eq'ed iPhone, now it has more.  That is not getting used to the sound.  It is a relative A/B difference that changes over time.

I understand your skepticism.  I was the same.

Our auditory memory is lucky to be accurate over a matter of minutes.  Over hours or days - it's a pure guess.  I'd be interested if you could compare a broken in X5 with a brand new one (volume matched, same tracks and settings).  Personally I think you'd find very little difference.

I agree with Cannikin - my personal experience suggests that it's our wonderful brains adjusting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back