The Fiio X5 Thread
Mar 8, 2014 at 3:03 AM Post #5,041 of 19,652

Honestly speaking, you'd be very hard picked to pick up any audible differences between 2 similarly-designed solid-state DACs/amps with comparable numbers, provided that there are no output power/impedance mismatch issues.     Slight volume imbalances and human perception/bias add a layer of variability that is orders of magnitude higher than the actual differences in sound.  

In your specific case, however, I dont know the quality of the X1000's amp section, so cannot comment on how it is going to work out.    Knowing Denon's general high quality, I doubt if you will notice much of a difference.

Thank you for the thoughtful answer.  I'll just have to wait and test it out.  Appreciate it.

Mar 8, 2014 at 3:25 AM Post #5,042 of 19,652
So is Fiio pronounced as F( I )o or F( E )o? I need to be able to tell others about this awesome product but I do not know how to pronounce the companies name.
Cant wait for the X5 to be released. It will be my first high-end portable DAC!

Mar 8, 2014 at 4:07 AM Post #5,046 of 19,652
  So is Fiio pronounced as F( I )o or F( E )o? I need to be able to tell others about this awesome product but I do not know how to pronounce the companies name.
Cant wait for the X5 to be released. It will be my first high-end portable DAC!

F(I) O is the best.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Mar 8, 2014 at 8:29 AM Post #5,048 of 19,652
Ha, in my head it was always fee-oh. Actually I'm just going to keep it there like that. :)

Mar 8, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #5,049 of 19,652
Ha, in my head it was always fee-oh. Actually I'm just going to keep it there like that.
smily_headphones1.gif

Here, I'll change it for you: Verizon FiOS.

Mar 8, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #5,050 of 19,652
I'm curious if to know if you can use the EQ while using the LO on the X5. It would be handy to drive more difficult headphones with an amp and still be able to massage the sound. I own the X3 and can not adjust the bass or treble when using the LO.

Thanks.

Mar 8, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #5,051 of 19,652
I'm actually really curious about the EQ.  As it is a software EQ, is it proprietary or is it some open source implementation?  How was it designed or otherwise where was it gotten from?  Is there a dedicated DSP chip for it?  Plain and simply, how good it is, is really what I'm interested in here.  

PS- I imagine the line out should be whatever signal is digitally coming in simply converted out to analog, so since this is a digital EQ and it's part of the chain before it hits the DAC, I imagine that by default the line-out would be affected by it.  I actually don't see how it could be bypassed XD  Whatever would be going from the DAC to the headphone amp would also be what's being sent via line-out.

Mar 8, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #5,053 of 19,652
I'm curious if to know if you can use the EQ while using the LO on the X5. It would be handy to drive more difficult headphones with an amp and still be able to massage the sound. I own the X3 and can not adjust the bass or treble when using the LO.

Thanks.

Unlike the X3's EQ, which is hardware based, X5's EQ is done in the digital domain, so it will affect both LO and HO. In fact, it affects coax-out too.

Mar 9, 2014 at 1:20 AM Post #5,054 of 19,652
Unlike the X3's EQ, which is hardware based, X5's EQ is done in the digital domain, so it will affect both LO and HO. In fact, it affects coax-out too.

That's what I thought but just wanted confirmation. Thanks for the input.

Cheers.

Mar 9, 2014 at 4:54 AM Post #5,055 of 19,652
  It's out.

The 3 part series review of the FiiO X5. 

Bowei

I'm going through your reviews at the moment - and I'm a bit puzzled with one bit of info.  You commented regarding the crowding of the top ports and called it a potential issue.  I could be a 'little thick' here - but bear with me:
  1. If you're using the headphone out - you won't be using a plug in either the line out or coax out sockets (there is no point)
  2. If you're using the line out (ie to an amp) - you won't be using a plug in either the headphone out or coax out sockets (there is no point)
  3. If you're using the coax out (ie to another dac) - you won't be using a plug in either the headphone out or line out sockets (there is no point) 

If above is true - then there cannot possibly be any issues with overcrowding.

Sorry - not meaning to be overly OCD - but it appeared to me you were trying to find possible faults that didn't really exist .....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back