The Fiio X5 Thread
Mar 2, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #4,876 of 19,652
  Is it just me (based on observing my friends' reactions to the X5) or that the X5's UI has that "Either you get it or don't" kind of a feeling?

When I first saw the UI demo, I thought that I didn't get it.

30s into using it. And I got it. 

Considering nobody has said a word about not 'getting' it. I'm gonna say that the 30s learning curve is pretty international. 

Mar 2, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #4,877 of 19,652

Considering nobody has said a word about not 'getting' it. I'm gonna say that the 30s learning curve is pretty international. 

I think some people are so anal-retentive that any aspect of a UI that doesn't conform to their idea of "intuitive" is completely unacceptable and hissy-fit inducing, as if having to use one's brain is asking too much or something....all UIs can be improved, but none of them warrant an overemotional response, unless the thing bricks or just doesn't work at all. The X5's UI works really well in its early rendition - I had very few issues and they never lasted longer than it took to turn it off and back on, and I thought it was easy to navigate. Improvements are on the way, too, as was noted by James. I can't wait to try the X1...I hope there's a tour for that one - if so, sign me up!

Mar 2, 2014 at 11:40 PM Post #4,878 of 19,652
Anyone know what the plan is for the upcoming X7?

All we know is that it's a full touchscreen device, but will it run a major OS like Android? Or will it be first-party?

It does seem to be jumping the gun when the X5 has barely released, but I do happen to think that while the X5 has great, top level SQ (heard it, agree with most people's impressions), I find the UI a bit too fiddly (too many functions, too many buttons, too many corners and contextual changes), and that's why I have opted for the Sony F886 despite its being inferior in SQ.

Also, a full touchscreen device means that the X7 will consume battery power like nothing else. Sony had to make their F880/ZX1 use PWM/Class D conversion/amplification to save on power, and it still only outputs 15-20 mW.

While I'm sure there will be solutions for reducing power consumption while maintaining sound quality, grabbing the X5's guts and transplanting them over to the X7 probably won't fly when there's a bit huge touchscreen eating up power. The PCM1792A and OPA1611 were never really meant for mobile use. While yes, they could just stick a bigger battery on the X7, I would not really be keen on the X7 being any larger than a modern smartphone.

I wonder what FiiO thinks about the recent announcement of ESSTech's ES9601 chip amp. On top of being very, very high performance in terms of specifications (122 dB SNR, -117 dB THD+N), it seems to be designed for mobile use, and draws power from single 3.3V rails and eliminates DC blocking caps.

On top of that, the 20-QFN package is really, really small, allowing space for other components. However, my guess is that the ES9601's unit price will be quite high, and I'm not sure if it'll fit within the budgetary constraints of the X7 (assuming it hits a <$499 target).

Months ago, I remember JamesFiiO mentioning that they were looking at using the ES9018-2M with their upcoming E20, and that they'd been longtime partners with ESSTech since they were working with Oppo, so perhaps it's possible for FiiO to get a good bulk price on the ES9601.

Of course, this all hinges on the ES9601 actually being an IC that sounds good, and while I tend to trust what ESS is doing, the ES9601 has not yet been released and is therefore unproven. It also remains to be seen whether or not the 9601 will have handicaps such as that of the TPA6120A2 --- while the 6120 also has great performance numbers and actually does sound great in the hands of the right engineer, it does require output current resistance to prevent instability, and that's why almost all TPA6120 amps have 10 ohms of output Z. Some have tried using an inductive solution in lieu of resistors, but if not implemented correctly, it's easy for inductors to introduce a lot of noise into the system.

I'm also looking forward to seeing some quality, precision LDO regulators being used in future products; there are a few newer offerings from AD that seem to work very well for audio purposes.

Mar 3, 2014 at 1:00 AM Post #4,880 of 19,652
  I wonder what FiiO thinks about the recent announcement of ESSTech's ES9601 chip amp. On top of being very, very high performance in terms of specifications (122 dB SNR, -117 dB THD+N), it seems to be designed for mobile use, and draws power from single 3.3V rails and eliminates DC blocking caps.

The fact that it is single 3.3V supply rail already means the performance might be limited. The one and only curse that no headphone amp can get away is the supply rail - and it is always the cleaner and higher, the better. If it doesn't have internal switching to boost the voltage, the output will be limited to less than 3.3V swing, meaning it will never match the kind of performance now found in X5. If it does have internal switching to boost voltage, the SNR won't have look so good. Of course, we won't know the full detail till ESS release them, but I have my doubt if ESS somehow find a magic formula that can combine high DNR, low THD, high (enough) output with low power demand.

Mar 3, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #4,881 of 19,652

I took more than one minute though T_T

Self-derision aside, I made the comment as there are people who took around that kind of timing to figure it out and tell me it is fine, and people who took around that kind of timing too but tell me that the buttons still looks kind of off.

I am quite intrigued in this (and X5's UI in general) especially as I am taking a module on Interaction Design; I think my prof will be interested in this.

I think some people are so anal-retentive that any aspect of a UI that doesn't conform to their idea of "intuitive" is completely unacceptable and hissy-fit inducing, as if having to use one's brain is asking too much or something....all UIs can be improved, but none of them warrant an overemotional response, unless the thing bricks or just doesn't work at all. The X5's UI works really well in its early rendition - I had very few issues and they never lasted longer than it took to turn it off and back on, and I thought it was easy to navigate. Improvements are on the way, too, as was noted by James. I can't wait to try the X1...I hope there's a tour for that one - if so, sign me up!

Thankfully none of my friends threw a hissy fit due to the X5 :D

Mar 3, 2014 at 1:21 AM Post #4,882 of 19,652

The fact that it is single 3.3V supply rail already means the performance might be limited. The one and only curse that no headphone amp can get away is the supply rail - and it is always the cleaner and higher, the better. If it doesn't have internal switching to boost the voltage, the output will be limited to less than 3.3V swing, meaning it will never match the kind of performance now found in X5. If it does have internal switching to boost voltage, the SNR won't have look so good. Of course, we won't know the full detail till ESS release them, but I have my doubt if ESS somehow find a magic formula that can combine high DNR, low THD, high (enough) output with low power demand.

Reminds me of the USB-chargeable Sony PHA-2 DAC/amp, that offers only 90mW into 32 Ohms. At least it has a Line Out for those not using IEMs or very efficient headphones.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/680208/sonys-dsd-capable-pha-2-portable-headphone-amp-dac/345#post_10179739

Mar 3, 2014 at 2:45 AM Post #4,883 of 19,652
Sandisk 128Gb micro is >> now available << in Europe at EUR 178,50  
eek.gif
mad.gif

Mar 3, 2014 at 3:47 AM Post #4,886 of 19,652

Well, personally, I'm not looking for a high-powered amp, so as long as it outputs a very high quality 1 Vrms output, I'm okay with it. I think it's great that the X5 can power what it can, but so few people actually take around full-sized cans and listen to them on the go. Head-fiers might need something to power a rig portably at a meet, but that's about it. For the majority of the population, a 3.3V swing offers plenty of power for IEMs and portable cans, given that the amplifier can deliver the current, which I think it probably can. Perhaps that's the myth that people like to perpetuate, but I don't necessarily believe that a portable DAP needs to be "high-power" for it to be respected amongst audiophiles. The AK100 didn't have that problem. The iPod doesn't have that problem.

Again, who knows what's gonna happen --- I'm not demanding that FiiO put in the ES9601. If FiiO can put in an amp stage that can swing 9V and still give me 12-16 hours of battery life under regular use, then more power to them, but I'd rather preserve battery life and small size, rather than go for power at the sacrifice of battery life and/or size. The other thing is, I think the X5 and X7 can be "co-flagships". People who want the ease of use of a touchscreen can go for the X7, and people who want output power can go for the X5. The main thing is that I don't want the X7 to end up the size of a DX100, or even 2/3 the size. It should be 1/2 the thickness, or less, honestly. Also, it could be possible that they can put two different outputs into the X7, one for power saving (and greater SNR for IEMs, etc.), and one for big output. That way, users can choose and decide whether they need all that power at their fingertips or not.

Mar 3, 2014 at 4:24 AM Post #4,888 of 19,652
  Unfortunately Amazon.com doesn't ship to Europe ("We're sorry. This item can't be shipped to your selected destination.") and I don't have a PO box in the US so I'm stuck with the rediculus price of Amazon.de I'm afraid. If there is another (legitimate) way, please let me know
wink.gif

There are companies that offer the service to ship these 'US only goods' to Europe etc.
I am looking into it at the moment... It saves me a lot of money!

Mar 3, 2014 at 4:27 AM Post #4,889 of 19,652
  There are companies that offer the service to ship these 'US only goods' to Europe etc.
I am looking into it at the moment... It saves me a lot of money!

Would you mind sharing the company info with me through PM for the sake of not derailing the thread anymore
wink.gif

I assume it is something like pricejapan.com but instead of Japan it works for the USA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back