The Fiio X5 Thread
Apr 11, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #16,891 of 19,652
I just got the Fiio X5 in the mail today. I own a X3 too, but I was curious about the sound signature of the X5. Also, my X3 had issues with occasionally skipping in DAC mode, and I think I fried something in the X3 by using crappy USB cable by accident. It can't transfer files through USB anymore.

Anyway...the sound signature does seem a little different, but I'm not sure if it's better or worse. At the very least, I have a less broken player.

Apr 11, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #16,892 of 19,652
Anyone have an idea what this is?   Showed up when I skipped from one song to the next.

I wouldn't worry about it.

whoops, mentioned the wrong person!

Apr 11, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #16,893 of 19,652

Bummer to hear about the wheel. Has Fiio updated the wheel hardware at all, or will this be an issue where every 18 months we have to send it in and pay for repair costs?

I also got some customs around December (thanks to @HideousPride Massdrop). Really been digging the pair together, and I find the X5's headphone out to have more than enough power and sounds quite excellent with these. 

I am going to try to avoid using the scrollwheel as much as possible, elwappo, by using the X buttons and let you know how that turns out. While on the subject of the X5, I'm thrilled that I've been able to apply fw2.5 which allows continuous play from one album to the next. Just what I've been missing and wanting since I got the X5 ten months ago! And I also got the "live long and prosper" theme onto it. So great!
I'm curious to know how the "Capitol Records" got to be on your UERMs. I didn't know UE did custom "artwork" on their ciems.

Apr 11, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #16,895 of 19,652

Bummer to hear about the wheel. Has Fiio updated the wheel hardware at all, or will this be an issue where every 18 months we have to send it in and pay for repair costs?

I also got some customs around December (thanks to @HideousPride Massdrop). Really been digging the pair together, and I find the X5's headphone out to have more than enough power and sounds quite excellent with these. 

I am going to try to avoid using the scrollwheel as much as possible, elwappo, by using the X buttons and let you know how that turns out. While on the subject of the X5, I'm thrilled that I've been able to apply fw2.5 which allows continuous play from one album to the next. Just what I've been missing and wanting since I got the X5 ten months ago! And I also got the "live long and prosper" theme onto it. So great!
I'm curious to know how the "Capitol Records" got to be on your UERMs. I didn't know UE did custom "artwork" on their ciems.

I use the 'X' buttons quite a bit. I've kinda gotten used to them. A bit quirky, but easy to manage. 

The UERM's come default with that color scheme and the Capitol Records logo. It actually costs extra to get something different 
L3000.gif

Apr 11, 2015 at 7:09 PM Post #16,896 of 19,652

Just to save you time, you can easily use the X buttons and never touch the wheel.  If, in fact, the wheel skips over a track or two, people can use the bottom buttons to compensate.  The only time I'm careful is when I want to press the middle button without knocking the wheel.

Apr 11, 2015 at 11:12 PM Post #16,897 of 19,652

Yes UELong, it's the darn wheel that's becoming the "Hairy Thing" lol b/c when it comes to making the selection to play!, Heaven knows which file the damn file the button picks, oy, but I'm beginning to use the X buttons up until then at least. The only remedy for that, I would guess is ship it back to China, right?

Apr 11, 2015 at 11:48 PM Post #16,898 of 19,652
All this talk of clipping, clipping, clipping...

All I have to say is that if you're get bursts of static like you're stuck between radio stations, well... I've never experienced clipping like that before. Sounds like a hardware or file issue and not a mastering or dynamic range issue - unless you listen to music which intentionally introduces that type of sound for effect. I do have some music like that, but I don't think it's common.

TL/DR: Metal guitars don't sound like radio static. Something else is going on here.

Best bet would be for him to give samples of these tracks where the anomaly is happening and see if anyone else with X5s can exhibit the same issue. If so it's pretty much an issue with the files themselves.

Apr 12, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #16,901 of 19,652
On another note:  I don't recall if I posted this question on another X5 thread, but, there's a little iten of the 2.5 update allowing the use of X-FAT formatted cards.  Is there an advantage to this?  Will the data be stored more efficiantly on the card than with FAT32?

Would love to see this question answered, too.

Apr 12, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #16,902 of 19,652

Here is some tech info:
Comparison

More

Performance

More
It looks like, from that the differences are minimal. From just a performance and security perspective, NTFS appears to be the best option for those that can use it as long as the resources to run it are available. I did read that the X5 supports NTFS, right?

I tend to think that with these levels of difference, one would likely not notice much, if any performance change between EXFAT and FAT32 when using them in our application.
Many of the larger micro SD and XDXC cards that I have gotten are formatted in EXFAT.  FAT32 does get inefficient at larger sizes. 32 gig was originally the max for it. For 128 gig cards, EXFAT is definitely better in that regard. I think that this is why they went to XFAT for 64 and 128 gig cards. X5 support would mean that the larger XFAT cards would not need to be reformatted. I guess that this is an advantage, but not a great one once a small utility for reformatting to FAT32 is obtained.

Bottom line, for cards over 32 gig, as long as the FiiO support is good, XFAT is the way to go compared to FAT32.

Apr 12, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #16,903 of 19,652
Here is some tech info:
Comparison

More

Performance

More
It looks like, from that the differences are minimal. From just a performance and security perspective, NTFS appears to be the best option for those that can use it as long as the resources to run it are available. I did read that the X5 supports NTFS, right?

I tend to think that with these levels of difference, one would likely not notice much, if any performance change between EXFAT and FAT32 when using them in our application.
Many of the larger micro SD and XDXC cards that I have gotten are formatted in EXFAT.  FAT32 does get inefficient at larger sizes. 32 gig was originally the max for it. For 128 gig cards, EXFAT is definitely better in that regard. I think that this is why they went to XFAT for 64 and 128 gig cards. X5 support would mean that the larger XFAT cards would not need to be reformatted. I guess that this is an advantage, but not a great one once a small utility for reformatting to FAT32 is obtained.

Bottom line, for cards over 32 gig, as long as the FiiO support is good, XFAT is the way to go compared to FAT32.

Except that currently you need to use a FAT32 card to update FW.

Apr 12, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #16,904 of 19,652
I wonder if they can change the "bootloader" through updates.

If there is a bootloader, that is.

Apr 12, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #16,905 of 19,652
Except that currently you need to use a FAT32 card to update FW.

I use a dedicated 2 gig card for that formatted in FAT32. I have to swap cards, but that doesn't bother me. 4 firmware updates in 8 months... maybe cost me 2 minutes.
My comments were aimed at copying and playing music, not the occasional (for me) firmware update.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back