The Fiio X5 Thread
Apr 9, 2015 at 1:16 AM Post #16,817 of 19,652
  I am listening to FW2.5 as I type this and it sounds really really swell.
I fear it makes my butt look larger than previous releases did. Sigh.

Watch out, or Sir Mix-a-lot will come a callin' 
wink_face.gif

LINK for you young'uns...

Apr 9, 2015 at 2:04 AM Post #16,819 of 19,652
Let's try this way :D

Track 1: Duality - Slipknot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GWwohI5h1w

Track 2: The End of the Line - Metallica 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT0CNhRuTEY

Track 3: Seeds of Gold - Closure in Moscow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZseL6VyddQ

Track 4: World Painted in Blood - Slayer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_PcXKk0adI

Here's what I got for DR

DR4       -0.29 dB    -6.12 dB      4:13 ?-Duality

DR4        0.00 dB    -5.18 dB      7:52 ?-End of the line

DR5       -0.19 dB    -7.04 dB      3:42 ?-Seed of gold

DR4        0.00 dB    -6.26 dB      5:53 ?-World painted blood

YouTube is using loudness normalization lately so this may not be the best way to test things.

Apr 9, 2015 at 2:16 AM Post #16,820 of 19,652
YouTube is using loudness normalization lately so this may not be the best way to test things.

totally true, out of curiosity, i tested the tracks on youtube, they have 0% clipping.

Sorry, for derailing the thread so much. 

thank you everyone, for the help, it seems that maybe i do not like the exact guitar effects and such as much as i had thought.

Back to x5, and the new FW, i think that i would feel the wheel a little more preciese, but it still overshots so 1 click is not always 1 selection change, and about SQ i cannot say i heared any difference at all, but it sounded very good to begin with.

Apr 9, 2015 at 4:34 AM Post #16,823 of 19,652
  Can anyone confirm that the DAC mode works with firmware version 2.5? It freezes my alsa linux audio subsystem. But downgrading helps

Works just as before on Mac OS X 10.10.3 - 24/192 sounds brilliant.

Cheers,
K

Apr 9, 2015 at 7:11 AM Post #16,825 of 19,652
So why does highlighting a selection of poorly recorded material merit such a sarcastic response?

Ooops, I didn't rralize you had embedded a link into your post.
At least you were being helpful, everyone else....to varying degrees, not so much.

Apr 9, 2015 at 7:29 AM Post #16,826 of 19,652
Having such a blast today listening to this setup at work.

Amazing synergy, am now at 5 hours and can't stop.

1b9b260dc304537d53886c18ed05dca2.jpg

Apr 9, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #16,827 of 19,652
Ooops, I didn't rralize you had embedded a link into your post.
At least you were being helpful, everyone else....to varying degrees, not so much.

Ah, I see now how it could be misinterpreted. I'd like to think that if that's how I felt, I would have refrained from posting.

Apr 9, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #16,828 of 19,652
The one thing that I wish Fiio would implement on a future firmware is the option to sort by album artist instead of artist.  Using library search is impossible when you have multi-artist compilations loaded on the X5 because the artist directory gets so cluttered up.  For my uses, sorting by album artist is much more efficient.  All of my multi-artist comps are tagged as "Various Artists" under "Album Artist" with the individual artist names preserved.

Since Fiio has expressed no interest in such an implementation, however, I guess I'll just continue to use the folder browser.

Apr 9, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #16,829 of 19,652
  The one thing that I wish Fiio would implement on a future firmware is the option to sort by album artist instead of artist.  Using library search is impossible when you have multi-artist compilations loaded on the X5 because the artist directory gets so cluttered up.  For my uses, sorting by album artist is much more efficient.  All of my multi-artist comps are tagged as "Various Artists" under "Album Artist" with the individual artist names preserved.

Since Fiio has expressed no interest in such an implementation, however, I guess I'll just continue to use the folder browser.

you could switch the two around in mp3tag, that way it'll work for you :)

Apr 9, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #16,830 of 19,652
Sorry. Now that i am back. 

I started the subject of discussion, because i feared that i could had had a broken x5 DAC, and i wanted to know if everybody else gets the issue. this is why i really need help understanding what is going on. 

I really do not know if this is how the particular songs are supposed to sound, or if i have something broken in the chain. I get radio between stations static like in some parts of the songs, and i posted the links, just to know if everybody else gets something similar.

is there any way i can use replay gain to repair tracks that are loud, to make them better? or anything at all?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back