The Fiio X5 Thread
Apr 8, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #16,801 of 19,652
Apr 8, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #16,804 of 19,652
And of course the answer is "A balanced cable".

Apr 8, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #16,805 of 19,652
  And of course the answer is "A balanced cable".

No no no, you'll be banished to the off-topic thread - X5 is single ended only...
wink.gif

Edit: I'm over my limit for giving a thumbs up to your post - hence the smiley...

Apr 8, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #16,806 of 19,652
I just listened to the linked tracks – with Foobar, via Toslink, 1) through the Corda Opera and its internal DAC, 2) through the Hugo. «Duality» and «End of the line» consist of heavily distorted electrical guitars, apart from that there's no foreign/disturbing distortion with both DACs/amps. «Seed of Gold» and «World painted Blood» have basically the same guitar distortion, but there are distortion components not so clearly attributable to the electric guitars (particularly on «Seed of Gold», although there they appear more clearly separated from the typical guitar distortion), although they may be caused by the guitars nonetheless. None of the recordings sounds like clipping due to too high recording level. What I can say is that with the Hugo the different sounds can be much better differentiated, so the distortion is clearly less irritating, as most of it is typical guitar distortion, whereas with the Opera it's less clear, so with the Opera experience alone I would understand the suspicion that the recordings are distorted – but in my opinion they're not.

Apr 8, 2015 at 7:04 PM Post #16,807 of 19,652
Let's try this way :D

Track 1: Duality - Slipknot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GWwohI5h1w

Track 2: The End of the Line - Metallica 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT0CNhRuTEY

Track 3: Seeds of Gold - Closure in Moscow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZseL6VyddQ

Track 4: World Painted in Blood - Slayer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_PcXKk0adI

Here's what I got for DR

DR4       -0.29 dB    -6.12 dB      4:13 ?-Duality

DR4        0.00 dB    -5.18 dB      7:52 ?-End of the line

DR5       -0.19 dB    -7.04 dB      3:42 ?-Seed of gold

DR4        0.00 dB    -6.26 dB      5:53 ?-World painted blood

So far they sound fine via my iPad and ATH-ESW9 headphones.
The recordings aren't Hi Fi, but they sound typical for that genre.

Apr 8, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #16,808 of 19,652
Everybody knows if you are going to listen to death-metal a Hugo is the minimum requirement.

Apr 8, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #16,810 of 19,652
  I just listened to the linked tracks – with Foobar, via Toslink, 1) through the Corda Opera and its internal DAC, 2) through the Hugo. «Duality» and «End of the line» consist of heavily distorted electrical guitars, apart from that there's no foreign/disturbing distortion with both DACs/amps. «Seed of Gold» and «World painted Blood» have basically the same guitar distortion, but there are distortion components not so clearly attributable to the electric guitars (particularly on «Seed of Gold», although there they appear more clearly separated from the typical guitar distortion), although they may be caused by the guitars nonetheless. None of the recordings sounds like clipping due to too high recording level. What I can say is that with the Hugo the different sounds can be much better differentiated, so the distortion is clearly less irritating, as most of it is typical guitar distortion, whereas with the Opera it's less clear, so with the Opera experience alone I would understand the suspicion that the recordings are distorted – but in my opinion they're not.

So far they sound fine via my iPad and ATH-ESW9 headphones.
The recordings aren't Hi Fi, but they sound typical for that genre.

I also found close to no clipping on these songs. Listening  via Audio-GD Reference 1 --> Matrix M-stage / Burson Solosit --> Ultimate ears reference monitors at close to 90dB. Sorry, I'm out of ideas at the moment as to what is going on that you're getting so much clipping, @skerry2006aj.

Apr 8, 2015 at 11:17 PM Post #16,811 of 19,652
A few others have mentioned this and I thought I'd add to the fray. [flame suit on]

I like the sound of FW2.5. Seems to be less grain, clearer, faster. Never thought I'd say this. :eek:

Apr 8, 2015 at 11:52 PM Post #16,813 of 19,652
A few others have mentioned this and I thought I'd add to the fray. [flame suit on]

I like the sound of FW2.5. Seems to be less grain, clearer, faster. Never thought I'd say this.
eek.gif

Yep.  FW2.5 Sounds quite a bit better to my ears as well including better instrument separation.  The wheel also moves snappier and more precisely.  Well done, FiiO! 

Apr 9, 2015 at 12:09 AM Post #16,814 of 19,652
Yep.  FW2.5 Sounds quite a bit better to my ears as well including better instrument separation.  The wheel also moves snappier and more precisely.  Well done, FiiO! 

The scratches on my X5 disappeared. The FW rocks. :wink:

Apr 9, 2015 at 12:42 AM Post #16,815 of 19,652
I am listening to FW2.5 as I type this and it sounds really really swell.
I fear it makes my butt look larger than previous releases did. Sigh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back